DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New uk drone laws spring 2018

CathyDrone

Reactions
Just seen on BBC website.
Drones over 250 grams will require user to register and sit a test.
It's what we expected .
What yours thoughts .

they talked about it months ago
Said that the test & registration will be at cost (nonprofit)
Which means the government is going to spend millions on it like they do everything, often getting it wrong and spending millions to try something else which means its going to be an extortionate amount for both the test and to register

It'll be like learning to drive again but probably more expensive due to less people flying than driving

Reactions: Ping^Spike
It will be the typical licensing farce, you will have to learn a set of largely irrelevant Q and As and get them right in a multiple choice format.
It had better be online, if they think everyone is going to travel and listen to a lecture for half a day then do it at some city centre location they can get stuffed.

Reactions: RC5728
Will DJI lock the drones to registered users only?
Will DJI set the limit of 400ft and 500m?

It's a complete knee-jerk reaction to a problem that just doesn't exist. Zero deaths caused by drones (not counting the military ones) anywhere in the world, EVER! However, 48 deaths directly caused by manned aviation just in the UK in 2016 and just last week, 2 manned aircraft collided mid-air with the loss of 4 lives in the UK. So let's regulate drones, that'll solve the problem. Err, what problem?

It will be the typical licensing farce, you will have to learn a set of largely irrelevant Q and As and get them right in a multiple choice format.
It had better be online, if they think everyone is going to travel and listen to a lecture for half a day then do it at some city centre location they can get stuffed.

I agree, if it’s cheap and easy to do ( online) I will do it, if not I won’t. Nor will all the idiots that cause the problem in the first place[emoji849]

I've just read the official report. It's typical BS. It seem s to be more about privacy than safety. In the UK we live in a CCTV society. Every time you go out of your front door and into any town centre, you're going to get photographed/videoed on an array of different CCTV systems. From cameras that now seem to be on every street corner to shop CCTV systems. Add to that, dash-cams and people everywhere taking pictures with their mobile phones. It's estimated you'll get picked up by 48 different image capturing systems every single day! All this without your permission by the way.... Are the powers that be going to do anything about that? No, of course they aren't. It is drones, apparently that are the scourge of all our privacy...... REALLY?!! And what are the CAA getting involved in privacy issues for in the first place? It's not the CAA's remit to be involved in privacy, their remit is the safe control of airspace and nothing else.

Just in case someone from the CAA or any other of the regulatory bodies is reading this. No-one has been killed by a drone in the UK and as far as I'm aware, anywhere in the world! Yet just last week, 2 manned aircraft collided mid-air killing 4 people here in the UK. That's despite the rigorous training that manned aviation pilots have to undertake. It made the news but was soon forgotten about. If that had been 2 drones colliding mid-air resulting in a death (or even an injury), the proverbial would have hit a very big fan and it would've been all over the papers, TV news and the media in general! And there are really bigger privacy issues than drones here in the UK, see above. Get a grip you lot, you're reacting to media hype and making up stupid regulations for a problem that just doesn't exist. I despair of this country sometimes, I really do......

Reactions: TrisMavic
just last week, 2 manned aircraft collided mid-air killing 4 people here in the UK. That's despite the rigorous training that manned aviation pilots have to undertake. It made the news but was soon forgotten about. If that had been 2 drones colliding mid-air resulting in a death (or even an injury), the proverbial would have hit a very big fan and it would've been all over the papers, TV news and the media in general

Agreed - the media would have an absolutely field day with a story like that.

Reactions: OzoneVibe
Agreed - the media would have an absolutely field day with a story like that.
In a week when newspapers can have full front page coverage of some TV cake maker separating from his wife (when there just may have been more significant national, let alone international "news" ??), what the media does is becoming increasingly ignored. :rolleyes:

Reactions: shaunmichaelj
No.

Simply because they're not called 'drones'.

According to Dorset Police and their Safer Drones training, in fact all unmanned aircraft are covered including model planes and helicopters. It’s just that there are extra privacy regulations for anything that carries a camera. The definition of drone is not based on multi rotor aircraft layout that we commonly call drones. It’s a very interesting course, I learnt a lot from the people who would be responsible for enforcing any changes to the law and I would highly recommend it if anybody gets the chance to do it.

According to Dorset Police and their Safer Drones training, in fact all unmanned aircraft are covered including model planes and helicopters. It’s just that there are extra privacy regulations for anything that carries a camera. The definition of drone is not based on multi rotor aircraft layout that we commonly call drones. It’s a very interesting course, I learnt a lot from the people who would be responsible for enforcing any changes to the law and I would highly recommend it if anybody gets the chance to do it.
You don't have a right to privacy in a public place in the UK. That's why there's CCTV on every street corner, people recording images and photos with their mobile phones everywhere and car dash-cams are recording your number plate.. And it's not the CAA's remit to get involved in privacy issues. Their remit is the safe operation of airspace and nothing else. And as for safety, I will reiterate once more: Nobody has yet been killed by a drone anywhere in the world. Drones aren't dropping out of the sky every single day injuring thousands of people. These new rules are just being brought in because of media hype. The present regulations are more than sufficient. If any person deliberately wants to fly a drone near an aircraft, you can bring in all the rules and regulations you like, it won't stop them. Even if you ban drones completely, it won't stop them!

I personally would rather they worry about regulating something like jet ski’s that do cause deaths, as you say we already have model flight laws in place.

Having flown R/C helicopters for years, I can tell you the heli does not get beyond 200 feet - it's not that it won't go farther, but it gets real small, real quick and there is no RTH button, and it can fly at any angle, upright, inverted, sideways, on its side. You lose orientation for a second, and it's crashing - for sure! Flying 3D with a heli requires total attention, you NEVER take your eye off the heli. This was strange to me, flying a drone for the first time - a few weeks back - I never looked down at the display - my eyes were always on the drone. After several flights, I started thinking to look down at the display - as the GPS will hold the position - not true with a heli - there is no position hold. Similar with planes. Small planes, say under 1m in wing width, get small quick. You don't take your eyes off the plane. If LOS was only true with Drones, there would not be so many issues today. Should I get another drone, I plan to only LOS flying and taking pictures of me and my background - not flying all around 100-200-300, ... meters from me. That just makes no sense to me.

on the topic Guys looking for advice , I live In Scotland and a friend had asked I would get some photos of the fisherie he owns , its down in a valley surrounded by trees , nothing for miles won’t be flying more than 30ft high BUT checked on the NATS app and it’s just on the boundary of a light red Circle class D regulated airspace , am I allowed to fly or not I had a look on the CAA website on its very very vague and didn’t really say yes or no help please

Class D you can fly under 7 kg aircraft yes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer