DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This guy will wreck our freedoms with drones in Uk

I've had the police called many times because some business or individual just didn't want me flying. I tell them, the police and whomever to pound sand. Police occasionally need to be reminded that they are servants.

Not buying your ridiculous chest-thumping.

Long experience in life informs me that, if your behavior around LEOs actually matches your professed attitude here, I suspect you have a lot of bad experiences.

People that approach LEO encounters with the attitude they should "pound sand" usually wind up being the ones with "close encounters with sand".

Reactions: Torque
This bloke is a class A plonker.

In a different video he is clearly flying FPV with no informed observer within 150m of a built up area, and in fact flying over buildings. Oh, and then uploading the footage to Youtube!!!

I do not get the heat and hate this guy generates either. The one video where the guy is accused of flying BVLOS is very informative and even has a happy ending. The video revealed that there was a special dedicated drone team that patrolled the area and was specifically looking for the guy. The officer who responded was very well trained and pressed the accusation the guy was flying BVLOS. Now, the guy was pushing the limits of rudeness at first BUT note what eventually happened--a common understanding was reached. The officer graciously concluded that only a warning was necessary and the guy humbly admitted that the officer had reasonable suspicion to believe he was fling BVLOS so he had no complaint about the interaction (he says this after the officer has left at end of video). There was even some comedic relief. Officer finished inspecting the guy's drone and then asked would you like to see mine? When he pulled his drone out of the patrol car it was obviously much larger and more impressive. When the officer explained his work and the air corridors in the area, it was obvious he knew exactly what he was talking about.
This is even worse ! Sadly he is intent on irritating the authorities and risking securitily that without doubt the uk CAA will legislate to remove our rights and we suffer ? Disgusting behaviour

This is even worse ! Sadly he is intent on irritating the authorities and risking securitily that without doubt the uk CAA will legislate to remove our rights and we suffer ? Disgusting behaviour
Well spotted. The video was uploaded 12 hours ago. Completely illegal overflying a built up area.

He deserves a fine and a caution at least. I was thinking I'd report this to the police but he's literally talking to them!!!

What is really disturbing is that every YT comment is clueless about the law and supporting the aggravator. I am next to speechless.

Join the BMFA or FPVUK if you support sensible drone flying. They lobby the CAA for sane rules and have a good track record of this.

What is really disturbing is that every YT comment is clueless about the law and supporting the aggravator. I am next to speechless.
Is it illegal to fly over a police station and record images in the UK? Judging by what the police officers said and did in the video, I am assuming the answer is no. They never told the guy you cannot fly over our property and record images. Basically, they said we would prefer if you did not but we cannot stop you. There were no raised voices, or threatening or profane language used. The police did an excellent job investigating what the guy was up to while restraining themselves from getting overly aggressive I assume because the law was not on their side and they knew it. I have read on countless occasions in this forum over the years that property owners may prohibit take off and landing but not overflight unless they have special legal protection. Is that not all the guy in this last video is saying with apparent agreement by the police officers themselves?

Honestly, he's a cool guy. Never seen his channel, but I'm interested to see what he does next.
I'm not negative about him like most of you guys are. He's just enjoying flying in his way, and he's not endangering anyone, so I don't see anything immediately wrong about it.
Its not to do with hid freedoms but his 46K followers and why they watch his channrl ?
I am sure its not for his creative genius or even because they want to see PC Plod police station from the air ?
Its the confrontation with Authority and big business which attracts ! Hence his confrontations are becoming more intense snd staged for the sole purpose of viewer numbers !
As stated many times the Uk will listen not to him but I am sure the many complaints they will receive ! Its us who will lose out ! As the saying hoes
" One mans freedom is a loss of another mans freedom ' His latest disgusting video

Is it illegal to fly over a police station and record images in the UK? Judging by what the police officers said and did in the video, I am assuming the answer is no. They never told the guy you cannot fly over our property and record images. Basically, they said we would prefer if you did not but we cannot stop you. There were no raised voices, or threatening or profane language used. The police did an excellent job investigating what the guy was up to while restraining themselves from getting overly aggressive I assume because the law was not on their side and they knew it. I have read on countless occasions in this forum over the years that property owners may prohibit take off and landing but not overflight unless they have special legal protection. Is that not all the guy in this last video is saying with apparent agreement by the police officers themselves?
Tthe Law can change

The rules in the UK are basically this (EDIT: ONLY FOR DRONES >250G):

-do not fly within a 150m radius of a built up area
-do not fly within 50m of an uninvolved person
-do not fly over 120m altitude.

The police station is in an urban area and is clearly "built up" as there are numerous buildings around. This is not a farmhouse in the countryside.

I assume you are not from the UK.

The rules are simple and you do an online drone test to show you know these. That said, if the police do not know these rules I don't know where that puts us!

Last edited:
yes the law on resticting overflight of prisons, and young offender places has alredy changed , with a 4000m exclusion zone around the perimeter of the place and that is not just a circle but 4000m from any point of the perimeter
and under new laws ,(National Security Act) ,there are going to be even more NFZ s over sensitive infrastructure, in the future, which have nothing to do with the actual drones ability to fly in that airspace, but everything to do with anti terrorism, and includes filming persons, vehicles, ect with any sort of camera ,

yes the law on resticting overflight of prisons, and young offender places has alredy changed , with a 4000m exclusion zone around the perimeter of the place and that is not just a circle but 4000m from any point of the perimeter
and under new laws ,(National Security Act) ,there are going to be even more NFZ s over sensitive infrastructure, in the future, which have nothing to do with the actual drones ability to fly in that airspace, but everything to do with anti terrorism, and includes filming persons, vehicles, ect with any sort of camera ,

This is insane. New legislation is not needed, just enforcement of existing legislation. So many people are going to get caught up in this 4km thing. I had no idea about it till you just mentioned it.

@mavic_minis_fly_away just a couple of points to clarifi about your posts #29 #30 above
flying any weight of drone in the UK if it has a camera needs to be registered with the CAA and have an operator id number displayed on the outside of the drone , if the drone is a sub 250 g then you only legally require a operator id ,over 250 g then a flyer id is also needed
with a sub 250g drone there are very few restictions other than VLOS ,no higher than 400 ft ,and no overflight of multiple people crowded together ,you can however fly over people and infrastruture and there is no set distance ,other than to not intentionally endanger people or property and respect there privacy when it comes to flying low over their property
if i was flying in a populated area at 250ft altitude,transiting from one point to another, with my Mini 3pro, then providing i had checked for any possible airspace restictions at that location ,i would be able to do so, on the other hand even with my A2 C of C doing the same flight with my Air 3 would not be possible

@mavic_minis_fly_away just a couple of points to clarifi about your posts #29 #30 above
flying any weight of drone in the UK if it has a camera needs to be registered with the CAA and have an operator id number displayed on the outside of the drone , if the drone is a sub 250 g then you only legally require a operator id ,over 250 g then a flyer id is also needed
with a sub 250g drone there are very few restictions other than VLOS ,no higher than 400 ft ,and no overflight of multiple people crowded together ,you can however fly over people and infrastruture and there is no set distance ,other than to not intentionally endanger people or property and respect there privacy when it comes to flying low over their property
if i was flying in a populated area at 250ft altitude,transiting from one point to another, with my Mini 3pro, then providing i had checked for any possible airspace restictions at that location ,i would be able to do so, on the other hand even with my A2 C of C doing the same flight with my Air 3 would not be possible

Thanks a lot for the correction. I had no idea the regs were so lenient for small drones. I edited my post slightly to clear things up.

Pages 13 and 16 clarify this:

So you can fly a 249g drone all over the place basically, except specific restricted zones like airports etc. Altitude limits still apply.

I am actually really surprised at this. IMO drones should not be allowed to overfly built up areas due to privacy and the risk of falling and hitting someone on the head.

Reactions: old man mavic
@mavic_minis_fly_away well its all based on risk ,so at the moment because of its size and weight, it is deemed low risk for injury or damage
but thats not to say ,that in future ,there could be changes to the classification critirior ,for what places can or cannot be flown ,but of course just because you can fly a sub 250g drone with very little restrictions ,you still have to do so in a responcible manner and respect all airspace conditions and restictions where applicable

I get the POV the "live free or die" attitude. Despite what I've posted here, it's a view I basically share for the most part.

I also choose to live with people in an organized society. That means rules, and I am obligated to follow them. So I want as few of them as possible... I'm a kind, compassionate, friendly fellow citizen that wants to get along and exercise my rights responsibility. That sort of attitude generally is met in kind and with respect; I work out differences with my fellow park users, no one walks away feeling there's need for some new law to maintain smooth, social order and happiness.

I'll be blunt: Your freedom to fly, any aspect of it, depends on you and all the rest of us slavishly kow-towing and politely deferring to the wishes of just about every Karen out there. The general public doesn't give a crap about recreational drones. They'd be just fine with a total ban.

Guys like this are making it happen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman