DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New UK Drone Rules?

Drumsagard

Reactions
I noticed in one of the answers below January 21 was mentioned. Dunno if this helps. I do think these rules are far better. Been looked at by a grownup for a change.

I noticed in one of the answers below January 21 was mentioned. Dunno if this helps. I do think these rules are far better. Been looked at by a grownup for a change.
I read that as 21st of January :) I can't find the link but my understanding was also that the pandemic has delayed introduction to start of 2021,

I think there was also a change to say the maximum possible take off weight was no longer the determining factor - it's impossible for the pilot to know (if you have updated props, a new battery or a firmware update the drone might get off the ground with more load attached). Actual weight at take off had replaced it. Again, can't find the link. It's quite important to mini owners, although the camera means we will now have to register.

Last edited:
New drone rules that were originally planned for introduction in the UK in July 2020 have been postponed until 31 Dec 2020, with the possibility of being delayed further:

For most recreational pilots there won't be much of a change on where you can fly, but if you're prepared to do the A2 CofC then it opens up new possibilities.

Reactions: old man mavic
I read that as 21st of January :) I can't find the link but my understanding was also that the pandemic has delayed introduction to start of 2021,

I think there was also a change to say the maximum possible take off weight was no longer the determining factor - it's impossible for the pilot to know (if you have updated props, a new battery or a firmware update the drone might get off the ground with more load attached). Actual weight at take off had replaced it. Again, can't find the link. It's quite important to mini owners, although the camera means we will now have to register.
I had to get license for mini here in Thailand, because it has a camera..+/- 250 grams irrelevant.
It does make sense ...spy’s and peeping toms ?

I had to get license for mini here in Thailand, because it has a camera..+/- 250 grams irrelevant.
It does make sense ...spy’s and peeping toms ?

has the info. We will have to register a drone with a camera (including the mini) from 31st December
New drones will have a class assigned to them and the rules are based on Maximum take off Mass.
However the Mini still counts as sub 250g because on page 8 that says
Unmanned aircraft without a Class marking – any reference to MTOM or ‘take-off mass’ should be taken to mean the weight of the unmanned aircraft at any time while it is in flight (which will be referred to as the ‘flying weight’)
The last page explains it best and uses the term "flying weight" , so in exchange for registering our flying cameras, we get to fly with fewer restrictions than at present.

The first page of that also explains the date change.

Reactions: Drumsagard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S