DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new UK law. 1 km from any airport !!

H
I can’t see anything wrong with the new proposed laws, they’re very sensible. Hopefully it’ll keep the idiots in check. Like the idiot that constantly flies his Phantom over my garden at about 40 feet.
Haha! Not cool but it made me laugh

Heard on the radio today that the UK will set a new law of no drones within 1km of any airport.

1 km.... thats ridiculous. And asking for trouble.

Who came up with it being set at only 1k? An idiot!
That's sensible enough I think. The 1 km wouldn't be from the departure lounge haha!
Nor would it be from the edge of the run way. It would be 1 km from the operational space of the airport, which is 3km from the terminal for civilian and 5 km for military. So you're looking at 4km and 6km where you can take off and land your drone. That's more than reasonable. Anyone agree?

That's sensible enough I think. The 1 km wouldn't be from the departure lounge haha!
Nor would it be from the edge of the run way. It would be 1 km from the operational space of the airport, which is 3km from the terminal for civilian and 5 km for military. So you're looking at 4km and 6km where you can take off and land your drone. That's more than reasonable. Anyone agree?
Dji NFZ already more than covers this

Reactions: mav09
It would be 1 km from the operational space of the airport, which is 3km from the terminal for civilian and 5 km for military.

Except it isn't - different airfields have vastly different size and shape ATZs.

Not according to a video seen earlier when the author quoted an airport representative as saying that the 1km is from the outer security fencing

it should be outside the airspace. full stop. or some idiot will think he can get to 1 km of the airport. Having pass my air law some years back, air space is airspace. so keep out of it.

Not really. Depends on classification of airspace, base altitude and so on.
My view they should be banned anywhere their maximum legal altitude could be the same as a manned aircraft also operating legally. Realistically thats 1-2nm from a runway theshold at a bare minimum.

Reactions: maxv77
Apparently its 1 kilometre of airport boundaries.

I'm not sure if that means from the fence around an airport. In which case that just mad and asking for some idiot to try and film a plane taking off or landing. Or it means 1 km from its airspace as it stands, But that dose not really make any sense when that's miles from the runway anyway.

One more Km wont make any difference.

I'm more than happy to do a online test. But I wonder how much they will charge for that ?

And how much they will then charge you to register with the Civil Aviation Authority ?

Always someone out to cash in on your hard earned cash :(

They also want you to get public liability insurance. Good. Now tell us where to get it because I cant find anyone who will unless your want to do commercial work with your drone.

I just want to fly mine for fun cover that with some insurance for my peace of mind and make some home made videos.
The money making mashine has to work .....[emoji3]

Reactions: Dw911 and maxv77
Currently in theory there is no fixed distance from an airports other than "Stay well away from aircraft, airports and airfields". So they're looking at a distance which isnt a bad thing. 1km though sounds crazily close, i'd have expected 3x that.
400ft has also been the maximum allowed altitutde so nothing new there.
I'm not against a registration, test and insurance provided the new laws take that into account and arent draconian to the point you cant use the drone anywhere. Insurance requirement SHOULD allow you a bit closer to things than currently allowed.
Im not against a small, sensible registration fee either BUT i have zero faith in it not being used as a money making scheme by those who can. Look at the cost of PfCO and so on - if its a cynical money grab then people wont bother. This has to be done in good faith.
£ 1200 for something you know already looks a bit spooky . [emoji33]

Actually cuts you off almost from everywhere .

Not really. Depends on classification of airspace, base altitude and so on.
My view they should be banned anywhere their maximum legal altitude could be the same as a manned aircraft also operating legally. Realistically thats 1-2nm from a runway theshold at a bare minimum.

...and most of Wales....

Reactions: DC9_BOB
Well a mavic at 200ft in the Mach Loop may not idea ideal admittedly!

Well a mavic at 200ft in the Mach Loop may not idea ideal admittedly!

But it's everywhere isn't it - I used to get it north of the Brecons. I've lived in France the last few years and despite this not being a NFZ the French army are always plonking their helicopters down in the woods and fields around me, often in the dark with no lights. Makes flying outside VLOS pretty nerve racking as you never know where the buggers are coming from.

I'm quite happy if the registration fee is substantial. Yes it will irritate all of us that are committed to having a drone and flying it, but it might serve to put off some of the muppets. The ones that get a drone for Christmas and even though they can barely read the word 'yaw', by New Year's Day they've buzzed the town centre, their mates in the pub, the local airport, the nuclear power station, and got it stuck in a tree outside their favourite soccer team's stadium.

That said, I do think they're going about this the wrong way. I'll say right here and now if the Government wants a copy of my flight records I'm quite happy for DJI to give it to them. There really isn't a privacy concern here. If you're standing in a public place, flying a device you can hear from half a mile away and has a camera stuck on the front of it, then demanding privacy for your flight record is a bit rich.
On the “government is welcome to my flight records” part of your comment..... Speak for yourself my friend! I don’t live in Britain,but I’m amazed at the amount of simple rights you guys are so ready to just hand over to your government!.. in Canada,if the government wants my flight records,the RCMP can go to a judge,show him/her their possible evidence of wrong doing and get a warrant to request records from dji. Maybe not a privacy issue for you personally,but it most certainly is a privacy issue.
I totally agree with your thoughts on licensing,and registration etc. it seems a reasonable step for a government to require that. I mean after all, people pay and take tests in many countries for things like fishing,hunting, even a bike in some cities,requires a plate.

Reactions: DC9_BOB and Dw911
...and many more people don't. It's only paying lip service to the issue, which by the way, isn't an issue yet is it. Nobody died.

Net result is it lets the authorities demonstrate the illusion that they're in control of it because a few unfortunates get caught and prosecuted. And if drone users have to pay, then so do thousands of other people flying RC planes and helicopters. Totally unfair and it's a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

When I read the posts in this thread it’s almost like reading the thread talking about Canadian rules. The 5km rule from airports here might seem nice,but where I live we have a large international airport which I believe comes with the 10nm class C airspace around it... effectively making the whole city into restricted airspace.
As a hobbyist,there’s no flying here. In my back yard I can take off but dji warns of the class c airspace. Really,because I’m a rule bound sort of person,I don’t put the quad up in the back yard.
Insurance requirements,knowledge test,and likely registration ....all coming soon to Canada.

I'm quite happy if the registration fee is substantial. Yes it will irritate all of us that are committed to having a drone and flying it, but it might serve to put off some of the muppets. The ones that get a drone for Christmas and even though they can barely read the word 'yaw', by New Year's Day they've buzzed the town centre, their mates in the pub, the local airport, the nuclear power station, and got it stuck in a tree outside their favourite soccer team's stadium.

Yes that will work, its expensive to get a driving licence and then there are the substantial car insurance premiums, does it stop idiots, no, they simply dont bother with either and just drive anyway.

Same will happen with drones and only the drone pilots who already follow the rules will suffer, the idiots will just carry on as normal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada