DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New uk law

Harrissment

Reactions
Hi all,

Do you think DJI will now lock the drones at 400ft and say 2000ft distance because of the new laws coming in place?

Thanks

All things are possible and as I've said before, DJI will do whatever it takes to protect their sales channels, and if that means further software controlled limitations to keep their 'reputation' with the authorities then they'll do it.

I don't think it will. I think most people fly within the rules and keep below 120m and within visual sight. If you want to break the rules then maybe it's better if you don't buy the drone in the first place?

Reactions: choo choo
I just think having to walk up to the thing you want to take a photo or movie off kind of makes the drone flying stats pointless!

Let’s hope a tello with a good camera comes out [emoji106]

Hi all,

Do you think DJI will now lock the drones at 400ft and say 2000ft distance because of the new laws coming in place?

Thanks

Unlikely any time soon. There are plenty of legal, commercial uses that involve flying over 400 ft above the takeoff point, such as tower inspections or flying in mountainous terrain. If they do further restrict, whether for height, airspace or whatever, then it will have to come with a well-implemented method to bypass for authorized flights. Hobby users flying at 500 m altitude and miles beyond VLOS, just because they can, are just generally a menace to air traffic anyway, so that would be a good thing.

Reactions: choo choo
I just think having to walk up to the thing you want to take a photo or movie off kind of makes the drone flying stats pointless!

The point of the drone for me is being able to get shots from interesting angles or with movements you would not be able to achieve with a normal camera. I agree with sar104, if that would prevent people flying outside visual range then that would be a good thing for safety and drone reputation.

I don't think it will. I think most people fly within the rules and keep below 120m and within visual sight. If you want to break the rules then maybe it's better if you don't buy the drone in the first place?
But they keep changing the playing field. It is the responsibility of the pilot to fly safely and the aviation authority to enforce the laws, NOT dji.

But they keep changing the playing field. It is the responsibility of the pilot to fly safely and the aviation authority to enforce the laws, NOT dji.

Correct, it's not DJIs responsibility but it absolutely IS in their best interests. If they do nothing then thousands of scrotes can fly wherever they want however stupidly they want and the authorities just go 'know what? enough is enough, let's ban private drone ownership".

By having all these restrictions and NFZs, DJI are seen to be acting responsibly and will preserve their markets.

Reactions: Lostjonny
It's probably easy to add that as a firmware update. They already cap limits when in Beginner mode, so the controller is capable of doing that.

No thanks. I fly BLOS all the time and couldn't careless about that stupid law

It wouldn't be fair for other countries without that limitations.

Hi all. If You don’t want the restrictions don’t update your app or the aircraft when the thing become bad. [emoji12]

No thanks. I fly BLOS all the time and couldn't careless about that stupid law

That is the long and short of any law. They only work for people that respect laws. Criminals ignore laws all the time. That is what law enforcement and the Court system is for. One could say that the scoff laws are supporting the system, so maybe thank you’s are in order for the Amelia Airhart wanna be’s? :D

Reactions: Thwyllo
Can ask what’s the point in occusync then if this comes?

Well, I just flew close to a water works - sewer plant - and started seeing messages saying i cannot change flight mode several times - so i got out of the area fast.
i’ve since discovered that these treatment plants are operated remotely , so there can be a lot of radio interference..... had i been flying with wi-fi i may have lost a brand new mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS