DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New World Record: Epic flight bone stock (smart controller + mavic 2 pro ) 11km one way, 22 km round trip.

Just need to ask- you know the difference between India and Australia? One being that CASA probably has no jurisdiction.

Sorry, my bad. For some reason the map is showing info ("in Australia") regarding my location - it must be linking to DJI Go 4 installed on the iPad I suppose.

In any case there is still the requirement to maintain VLOS in India and most, if not all, other developed countries for that matter.

Hello,

Was this with modified battery setup with the Mavic 2 Pro, stock batteries usually return near or at 0% with these type of distance flights

I too have the M2P and it’s a very impressive piece of equipment.

Paul

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad. For some reason the map is showing info ("in Australia") regarding my location - it must be linking to DJI Go 4 installed on the iPad I suppose.

In any case there is still the requirement to maintain VLOS in India and most, if not all, other developed countries for that matter.

Agreed 100%.... But to state the obvious absence of knowledge of the rules probably isn’t the issue. Telling people what they already know almost never changes behaviour.

Take the thread for what it is. A demonstration of the capabilities of the Mavic 2. We can confidently predict DJI will, as they have done with GEO, introduce further restrictions to make it difficult to fly outside VLOS without an unlock authorisation.

We can confidently predict DJI will, as they have done with GEO, introduce further restrictions to make it difficult to fly outside VLOS without an unlock authorisation.

Where are you getting this information from? How could DJI possibly know what "outside of VLOS" is, based on home point location?

Below are some video clips after processing. Some of the Dashware data or gauges (compass) are not exactly accurate esp also since I trimmed content:

That 'not exactly accurate' is an understatement.

Before recapping your text above, I was trying to work out what happens at (particularly) 06:15, the bird seems to turn ~ 180 degrees, flight direction in footage reverses, speed doesn't alter, but distance still increases from base.

Also similar at 10:50 but the reverse, heading changes ~ 180, and distance begins decrease, but vision shows still moving same direction.

Is all this out of sync due to screen outage ?

We can confidently predict DJI will, as they have done with GEO, introduce further restrictions to make it difficult to fly outside VLOS without an unlock authorisation.

Be interesting seeing how they can tell what each individuals VLOS is for sure.
After reading a few threads defining VLOS, I'm beginning to doubt if having good strobes etc cuts it for that use . . . eg. it's the depth perception of telling how your bird is in relation to surrounds, particularly with other aircraft in the area, hard to do when you might be a km or two away.

Edit - Thunderdrones beat me to the VLOS thing.

Reactions: Former Member
Telling people what they already know almost never changes behaviour.

That's probably true but even if I can persuade just one single person to adhere to the regulations then I firmly believe that what I'm doing is worth every keystroke. There is already too much content showcasing illegal drone flying behaviour on this forum - for the sake of the law abiding majority the moderators should be deleting it as soon as it is reported.

After reading a few threads defining VLOS, I'm beginning to doubt if having good strobes etc cuts it for that use . . . eg. it's the depth perception of telling how your bird is in relation to surrounds, particularly with other aircraft in the area, hard to do when you might be a km or two away.

Good question about strobes and VLOS. Strobes can show you where your drone is and that might satisfy VLOS rules. As far as drone orientation, as long as you have signal, you could look at the map on DJI Go and see the direction of your drone.

Where are you getting this information from? How could DJI possibly know what "outside of VLOS" is, based on home point location?
It’s not a huge stretch of the imagination to think they might apply a max flight distance from home point based on how far the average person can see. The reason we might expect this is simply because it could be implemented and it is reasonable to think DJI will do everything they can to try and demonstrate to regulators that they are a responsible manufacturer forcing compliance. The alternative might be further restrictions- to think they might not do everything possible to stay in business is what is beyond belief. GEO, altitude limit and aeroscope demonstrate what they have been prepared to do to date.

It’s not a huge stretch of the imagination to think they might apply a max flight distance from home point based on how far the average person can see. The reason we might expect this is simply because it could be implemented and it is reasonable to think DJI will do everything they can to try and demonstrate to regulators that they are a responsible manufacturer forcing compliance. The alternative might be further restrictions- to think they might not do everything possible to stay in business is what is beyond belief. GEO, altitude limit and aeroscope demonstrate what they have been prepared to do to date.

Anything is possible but not probable. They would have to take into consideration which drone it is. Spark would have a higher distance restriction than a Matrice. DJI would then be responsible to update DJI Go for each individual drone, and its VLOS distance restriction. Will a 20 year old with 20/20 be allowed to fly further than an 80 year old with corrective lenses? Thats something else to take into account.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Anything is possible but not probable. They would have to take into consideration which drone it is. Spark would have a higher distance restriction than a Matrice. DJI would then be responsible to update DJI Go for each individual drone, and its VLOS distance restriction. Will a 20 year old with 20/20 be allowed to fly further than an 80 year old with corrective lenses? Thats something else to take into account.
Time will tell. If your DJI and faced with the prospect of your main revenue stream being wiped out by restrictions tell me you wouldn’t consider doing everything possible to appease the legislators. If you don’t get closer to probable than possible it will be a surprise.

Time will tell. If your DJI and faced with the prospect of your main revenue stream being wiped out by restrictions tell me you wouldn’t consider doing everything possible to appease the legislators. If you don’t get closer to probable than possible it will be a surprise.

Legislators are empowered by votes, but sadly they are also empowered by lobbyists, whose specific job it is to appease legislators with money and influence. Private industry influences legislators as much if not more than the voters. If the legislator can provide a positive spin to drones flying over everyones heads, the voters will clamour to support them. If private industry told the legislators it was a good thing, and then passed them an envelope, Im pretty sure the legislators would go along with it and do their best to make that company happy.

I think that enforcing VLOS takes back seat to preventing rogue drone pilots from disturbing classified airspace. What is more likely to wipe out DJI's main revenue stream would be the the latter.

If DJIs mission was to stop people from being irresponsible drone pilots, they should embark on a massive PR campaign to enlighten the public of the beningness of hobby drones, and to blitz all new drone owners with how important it is to be in compliance. Fear of God sort of thing.

Yes they could achieve mandatory VLOS compliance by restricting drone use, after all, who cares? DJI doesnt care about us, if they are going straight to the legislators to appease them and cut us out of the loop. As of now, I have not seen a single PR ad from DJI discouraging the unlawful or improper use of drones. I have also not seen a single ad telling people how safe it is to have drones buzzing around, and the minimal risk of them spying on them or dropping on their heads and killing them. Now that would be effective.

Last edited:
Remember, you are the one who lives in Australia and as you not so accurately googled, would be regulated by CASA, although I wonder where they come in: do you have restrictions on where you can lay eggs?

Remember, you are the one who lives in Australia and as you not so accurately googled, would be regulated by CASA, although I wonder where they come in: do you have restrictions on where you can lay eggs?

Just keep reading through the thread after my misinformed reference to CASA - I have already explained that. God only knows why you mentioned "Eristalis tenax" in the first place but Rat-Tailed Maggot was returned at the top of the google search.

That 'not exactly accurate' is an understatement.

Before recapping your text above, I was trying to work out what happens at (particularly) 06:15, the bird seems to turn ~ 180 degrees, flight direction in footage reverses, speed doesn't alter, but distance still increases from base.

Also similar at 10:50 but the reverse, heading changes ~ 180, and distance begins decrease, but vision shows still moving same direction.

Is all this out of sync due to screen outage ?

Edit - Thunderdrones beat me to the VLOS thing.
At 6:15, the bird is returning back, there are many distance counters, one measuring the total distance traveled. I didn't alter my speed while looping back.
I dont know what you are talking @10:50 about. The drone is just returning home in a straight line, watch the video again.

Last edited:
Seems various SC users are seeing extended range over the regular controller. This is certainly interesting.

Is there any data or technical reasoning the SC has better range than the regular controller?

Would be curious to see a comparison about how far you can go with the SC vs. stock controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter