DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEWBE needing help.

asewest

Reactions
Although an FAA Certified fixed wing, single and multi engine instrument rated commercial pilot, I have no idea how to fly my MAVIC Pro. So have a few questions.
1. Does the registration number issued need to be placarded on the drone similar to the "N" number on US registered aircraft?
2. I cannot simultaneously access the drone and my cell phone using WIFI. I drop one or the other trying to calibrate for flight.

I'm anxious to do my first solo flight but don't want to have a "mishap" in the process.

Thank you
asewest

Reactions: austindave
I have no idea how to fly my MAVIC Pro
You'll hear mixed opinions on flying/learning. If these drones worked perfectly 100% of the time, I'd say read the manual look at the how-to videos and go fly it. I've got a PP SEL, A&P, and have been flying R/C for most of my life. Drones were new to me 3-4 years ago and I got bit by the bug. Before I launched my $1000 drone, I picked up a cheap (<$120) drone and learned to fly it. I have a Traxxas Alias that is pretty rugged and easy to learn to fly with. If you can fly a drone with no GPS and just the stability sensors you won't have any problems flying Mavic. If you do dive-in, I'd keep it close until you are used to all the controls and best bet would be an open field or park where you have a little extra space that will allow some errors. The video tutorials from DJI and other folks are helpful.

-Registration is no longer required, although I'm sure the FAA is working on a replacement rule.
-Unless the display alerted you that a calibration was required, you don't need to do it.
-I had trouble with disconnects to the phone/tablet. Solved by using Airplane Mode on iphone/ipad and I connect using an MFI approved cable from my iPad to the controller.
-Stay away from big metal objects when you launch, magnet sources can throw off the compass.

FYI - I had trouble with morning sun/haze fooling the object avoidance sensor (I couldn't fly into the sun, and it would not return home either) I had to fly it sideways to face sensor away. I no longer fly with OA turned on.

Last edited:
Although an FAA Certified fixed wing, single and multi engine instrument rated commercial pilot, I have no idea how to fly my MAVIC Pro. So have a few questions.
1. Does the registration number issued need to be placarded on the drone similar to the "N" number on US registered aircraft?
2. I cannot simultaneously access the drone and my cell phone using WIFI. I drop one or the other trying to calibrate for flight.

I'm anxious to do my first solo flight but don't want to have a "mishap" in the process.

Thank you
asewest
The MP literally fly's itself. Spend a bit of time in the simulator (found in the GO app) do fist flight in beginner mode and you should be gtg.

Simulator in the DJI GO APP -huge help
Mavic flies just like it in real life, also try beginner mode for first flights, it's very docile and won't go further than 60' or so away from you. Read everything here on the forum that you can but don't let the stories of dismay spook you. Some of us have "never" "ever" had a glitch and if we did it was user induced. Also see the PM I sent you.
Good luck,
Steve

Reactions: Maldor and Mavic 57
To be honest read through the manual. Pay particular attention to the section on return to home. That is one of the biggest pilot errors.

Your first flight should be in an open area. Make sure you take your Mavic up higher than any potential obstacles. Switch it on and go through the onboard settings. Again pay particular attention to the RTH and obstacle avoidance settings.

Reactions: Sub779 and Mavic 57
Simulator in the DJI GO APP -huge help
Mavic flies just like it in real life, also try beginner mode for first flights, it's very docile and won't go further than 60' or so away from you. Read everything here on the forum that you can but don't let the stories of dismay spook you. Some of us have "never" "ever" had a glitch and if we did it was user induced. Also see the PM I sent you.
Good luck,
Steve

I'm waiting for this mod.....
67088e8ac22699cd3ebe0d6ebfe45f2a.jpg

I was flying a few toy quads before buying my mavic. I'm a newbie too and I'm surprised by hearing many say it's their first quad/drone. At $1000! Although it's very stable in GPS mode.. The challenge is there's a LOT to learn about the settings and the danger is you fly it a long ways. Know the RTH settings before flying. My advice? Buy a $20 Cheerson cx-10D (the D is important. It's a nano quad with altitude hold) and is a great drone to learn the skill of flying and orientation (flying when the drone is not facing the same way you are.) Then flying by the sticks will be familiar.

I was flying a few toy quads before buying my mavic. I'm a newbie too and I'm surprised by hearing many say it's their first quad/drone. At $1000! Although it's very stable in GPS mode.. The challenge is there's a LOT to learn about the settings and the danger is you fly it a long ways. Know the RTH settings before flying. My advice? Buy a $20 Cheerson cx-10D (the D is important. It's a nano quad with altitude hold) and is a great drone to learn the skill of flying and orientation (flying when the drone is not facing the same way you are.) Then flying by the sticks will be familiar.

I think that I might just do that, I'm in no hurry and for the cost it looks like the way to get started...thanks :D

Blade mCX2 RTF | HorizonHobby

One of the little blade helis with opposing rotor blades ( indoor version ). Is invaluable for your hand/eye coordination.

Indoor.. because they can't take any breeze at all... including ceiling fans.

Same rule applies for your mavic... ( except not inside )
BIG OPEN field, yard, school yard ( without kids ).

Lift off.. keep about eye level and walk the dog... keep it in front of you.. pointing away from you, and follow it .

Then progress to co-ordinated turns ( you know what that is ).. except you'll rely on the yaw for turns to start. Explore the other controls.

One other thing... Beginner Mode will be your friend!

Watch out using when you would refer to as aileron controls... ( right stick side motion ). You'll fly sideways right into something if you get disoriented. That's why following the aircraft as you learn is good. Then remember when it's coming at you.. everything is Bass Akwards.

You'll be fine. You understand flight !.. just remember, open areas are your friend. And in this case, Altitude is not going to be your friend for awhile.

That's how I did it. Others may have a better solution.
WG

Hi, asewest. Other people have said that you don't (yet) need to register. If I understand your problem with WiFi correctly, you will never fix this using WiFi only. Either your phone will talk to a router or it will talk to the Mavic - it can't do both simultaneously. If you want you phone to be online as you pilot, you will have to use cellular data; but Irecommend that you use the remote controller, connected by cable to your phone. That way, the phone can be online via WiFi, and you will have control through the RC. It is much easier, in my experience, to fly with control using the RC rather than with WiFi.

Otherwise, find an open space (50 metres from anyone or thing and nowhere near an airport), launch it and play, starting, as others have suggested, with beginner mode, which should stop you from doing anything too egregious.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum