DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbe with Mavic pro Platinum connection and phone problem.

Reactions
Hi, I'm a bewbie with flying drones, I have had a couple of mini drones and decided to buy the Mavic pro Plantinum combo,

I'm using (at the moment) a Samsung J5 software android version 6.0.1.0 (a spare old phone) working through my home BT hub (EE sim card PAYG zero data) for connection to the internet, in which it downloads anything I want, I have the last version of DJi go 4 (not the new one) I have Samsung switch loaded, I have two way data enabled on the phone. I have managed to conect to the drone a couple of times (but have to make sure I start the phone after connecting the drone and transmitter as normal, it connects with (no gps available unable to take off in beginer mode), the other problem is my phone is using the transmitter as a charging sorce even though two way data is selected, I can not see any other way of turning of the charging function on the phone, the transmitter is trying to update the firmware but goes to 1% then reports lost connection retry, getting a bit frustrated with it now, I'm looking to purchasean ipad mini as I believe there are a lot less problems with ipad.

It does appear the DJI Go 4 app often works more reliably on iOS devices than some Android phones. Especially the Samsung ones that are not running stock Android. To update the drone firmware you can do so with DJI assistant 2 on a computer and skip the process on the remote all together if the connection issue persists. Best of luck!

It does appear the DJI Go 4 app often works more reliably on iOS devices than some Android phones. Especially the Samsung ones that are not running stock Android. To update the drone firmware you can do so with DJI assistant 2 on a computer and skip the process on the remote all together if the connection issue persists. Best of luck!
Many thanks, I will have a look at that route, cheers.

What cable are you using to connect your phone to the controller? Many people find the cable supplied by DJI to be unreliable and use a short version of the USB A to micro that you use to charge your phone or connect to a computer.
If you are doing any sort of update to firmware please make sure you have a stable connection between source and device before you start that process or you’ll end up with some expensive bricks. I’d suggest doing updates via a computer rather than via a phone. There are many more sources for the files and they normally get downloaded before the firmware update process starts making the whole procedure more reliable.

What cable are you using to connect your phone to the controller? Many people find the cable supplied by DJI to be unreliable and use a short version of the USB A to micro that you use to charge your phone or connect to a computer.
If you are doing any sort of update to firmware please make sure you have a stable connection between source and device before you start that process or you’ll end up with some expensive bricks. I’d suggest doing updates via a computer rather than via a phone. There are many more sources for the files and they normally get downloaded before the firmware update process starts making the whole procedure more reliable.
Many thanks for the reply, I have done a bit of diging on the forum and found what you describe as a cure and which is what I shall try next, I updated the firmware (handset I assume as it said updating) via my windows 10 computer which was a sucess but when I plugged the phone into the transmitter and fired it up I got a software conflict pop up and it tried to perform a new update (this could all be down to pilot error I hasten to add!!!), I then thought is was because I'm working through my main router as an hotspot because the sim card in the phone is a PAYG type with no data allowance on but thought as it's is already connected to the internet (all other stuff works) it would be OK, I have had it working twice in beginer mode but with "can not take off no GPS" and this is what is stumping me, then when I tried again it was no good (through the normal port), I will try the USB port now. thanks again Albert

You might have to wait a couple of minutes for the drone to pick up enough satellites for the drone to report that it has a gps position. Make sure that you are in am area that has a good view of the sky.

You might have to wait a couple of minutes for the drone to pick up enough satellites for the drone to report that it has a gps position. Make sure that you are in am area that has a good view of the sky.
Thanks for the reply, yes I thought that might be the problem gave it a while but will try again, I'm still having the charging issue even through the USB terminal, it drains the transmitter at an alrming rate, the next move is to buy an I-pad, does anyone know if it has the be a wifi+cellular or is just wifi enough, I assume it needs cellular to pick up the satelites, regards Albert.

Everything working now my only problem is with my Samsung phone charging from the transmitter, I have tried both the USB and the data port and it still charges whichever I use!, I have the latest software update (the last occured when I last connected, the program reported a conflict in the software, it updated it and said go fly, went outside and the GPS connected but just this charging problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d