DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie and Sport Mode

TheoMatthias

Reactions
Ok, I'm hooked! Sport mode is a hoot!

Yesterday and today, I spent some time flying in Sport mode after feeling reasonably comfortable operating in Position mode. WOW! What a blast! It's really fun, but for a newbie, there is some good learning that can happen in Sport mode.

CAUTION: Get comfortable with handling the Mavic in Position mode before actually trying out what I suggest below.

Once you feel comfortable coordinating the yaw, roll, pitch (and a smidgen of throttle) required for smooth turning in Position mode, try doing the same thing in Sport mode. You will be traveling much faster and smooth turning will be rather elusive. However, with enough practice you should be able to get the hang of things. It requires a very easy touch on the sticks. I found it to be an incredible training exercise.

A couple of things, however:
  1. Make sure you are practicing in a very large open area (see below). The Mavic is traveling fast (37 - 40 mph) and covers a great deal of real estate in a short amount of time;

2. For me, the radius of a smooth turn (at near full throttle) is much greater that the radius of a slower speed turn. Therefore, plan for that in choosing the place in which you practice and where/when you begin executing your turns.
After practicing in Sport mode, switch back to Position mode and practice your circles, ovals and figure-eights. I think you'll be surprised how easily they can now be accomplished. Today I practiced in Sport mode for 1 battery (~17-minutes) and felt my maneuvers on the final battery were MUCH improved.

Let me know how this works for you.

Theo

download.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamcain112
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members