DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie buying advice

I'm with scoot on this one. If you are several feet away you shouldn't have any compass conflicts with the chair. I launch within ten feet or so from my car regularly with no issues.

Also, do not startup or trust prompts for a calibration from or near the chair, see if it clears several feet away, first.

Better yet if you are getting clean startup indications, don't calibrate at all. I have never calibrated my compass, or imu with hundreds of flights ranging hundreds of miles apart.

Finally, worse case, you get a prompt that won't go away, have someone do it away from the chair or other metal influences so as not to set an inaccurate calibration.

Thanks Robert. I'm sure if your car doesn't interfere with it then my chair should be fine!

Reactions: scooot
Again, I agree with Scoot. If your Mavic doesn't prompt you to calibrate, the last thing you need is to be worrying about is an unnecessary procedure.

If you get persistent compass prompts, that won't clear by moving it, by all means don't hesitate to get someone to help you get it done, according to the procedures set forth above. Otherwise, leave it alone.

And don't misunderstand, it does need to be a safe distance from metal objects, be it cars, chairs or rebar to get a safe startup.

Reactions: scooot and Gatzu1
Gatzu, depending on the type of wheelchair you're using you shouldn't have many issues. I actually sell power wheelchairs and mobility scooters via my online store Mobility Scooters Direct - Save More. Buy Direct.. I have a lot of friends and family that have limited mobility or that are handicap and that use wheelchairs. They at one point have tried flying my drones during family get together's and typically there are no issues.

Question -- Which wheelchair model are you using? Some models have higher arm rests that are made of metal as opposed to other models with plastic arms that are lower to your lap. That would probably make a difference in interference if anything at all.

I think if you can manage to set it down on a suitable surface then move back a bit from the drone in your chair you shouldn't encounter any compass issues.
When you do get the mavic don't be tempted to do any calibrations at all.Only calibrate if the app requests.So many drones have had issues with calibrating when not needed.I wish you every success in your venture.Your going to love it.[emoji106]
Good advice on not calibrating unnecessarily.

Gatzu, depending on the type of wheelchair you're using you shouldn't have many issues. I actually sell power wheelchairs and mobility scooters via my online store Mobility Scooters Direct - Save More. Buy Direct.. I have a lot of friends and family that have limited mobility or that are handicap and that use wheelchairs. They at one point have tried flying my drones during family get together's and typically there are no issues.

Question -- Which wheelchair model are you using? Some models have higher arm rests that are made of metal as opposed to other models with plastic arms that are lower to your lap. That would probably make a difference in interference if anything at all.
Hi. Thanks that's reassuring. I use a Ti Lite manual chair. No arm rests and minimal plastic.

Ranil

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise