DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie buying advice

Gatzu1

Reactions
Hi all. I've been lurking for a while trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible from the forum. It really is a fantastic resource!

I'm from London UK and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I've flown cheap drones for a couple of years e.g. Hubsans and Symas etc but am gearing up to a Mavic purchase.

I have two questions:

1. Unfortunately for the last 6 years I've been in a wheelchair due to spinal cord inflammation. I want to get the Mavic to allow me to explore places I wouldn't normally be able to access. Even beaches are a no no with my chair! My concern is about being able to get to my drone if the RTH function doesn't work or if for example I'm unable to get it near to my landing point due to unforeseen circumstances. I know a lot of this should be negated by preflight checks, sensible flying etc but I guess I wanted to gauge how often this is an issue for any of you?

2. I'm travelling to Singapore in the next month or so and was thinking of purchasing the fly more combo when out there as it works out a fair bit cheaper. Are there any issues with purchasing the drone outside of my country of residence? I assume if I have any problems I'll have to send it to DJI anyway right?

Sorry for the rambling post. Thanks again to everyone that fills the forum with interesting content and vital info.

Ranil.

Never had any RTH issues. The main issue you'll have when using the Mavic, and it's only slight, is the wind pushing it away from you. The RTH can cope with distance/time/battery remaining, however it might not have the juice to make it back to your actual RTH location if the wind gets up - the bird doesn't know it's *that* windy... so yeah. To mitigate this, all you need to do is bring it back before it gets below a decent percentage on the battery.

Buying in Singapore is one thing, but travelling with LiPo batteries on aircraft is another. They often limit you to TWO batteries... thereby making it impossible for you to bring three back. Sometimes you can get exemption, but there's no guarantee. Also, some airlines will count your cellphone as one battery and your laptop as another... so watch out for that!

Reactions: Gatzu1
the home point is recorded on taking off, I gained confidence in the RTH when i see a blue circle on the map. this shows that it has accurately recorded your initial location. make sure your launch point is unobstructed from above.

... and that if you're even remotely close to having it RTH automatically that there is nothing above it either .... The drone will just ascend into trees, the bridge you're under... and whack. Game over!

Reactions: tictag and Gatzu1
the home point is recorded on taking off, I gained confidence in the RTH when i see a blue circle on the map. this shows that it has accurately recorded your initial location. make sure your launch point is unobstructed from above.

Don't wanna sound fussy, but the Return to Home should be set/updated (ie allowed to update on it's own) prior to take off. Hearing the controller/phone tell you it's updated is good, checking the map is better.

A lot of flyaways are due to the drone being a long ways from its last set RTH location. The drone then thinks '****, i'd better get going to that location!' and promptly buggers off over the horizon!

Depends on your airline. Cathay Pacific for example allows up to 21 pieces of batteries (if they are less than 100 Wh each). The Mavic Pro is 43 Wh each.

As long as you are getting full warranty from purchasing a Mavic Pro in Singapore, there is really nothing to worry.

In the UK, you'd be trying not to import duty or VAT... hide all receipts! Get digital ones!

In the UK, you'd be trying not to import duty or VAT... hide all receipts! Get digital ones!

Yeah,good point.
Pretty much like in the old days when you bought a camera abroad,flat packed the box in the suitcase,hung the camera around your neck through customs and hid the receipt amongst your wife's knickers.[emoji23]

Are you going to try hand launches and landings from your chair or do you have the mobility (or assistant) to operate a few feet away?

Set up, launch and landing might be your biggest challenge, I'm thinking.

Never had any RTH issues. The main issue you'll have when using the Mavic, and it's only slight, is the wind pushing it away from you. The RTH can cope with distance/time/battery remaining, however it might not have the juice to make it back to your actual RTH location if the wind gets up - the bird doesn't know it's *that* windy... so yeah. To mitigate this, all you need to do is bring it back before it gets below a decent percentage on the battery.

Buying in Singapore is one thing, but travelling with LiPo batteries on aircraft is another. They often limit you to TWO batteries... thereby making it impossible for you to bring three back. Sometimes you can get exemption, but there's no guarantee. Also, some airlines will count your cellphone as one battery and your laptop as another... so watch out for that!

Thanks! That's a good point about the Lipos. I was going to buy the safety bags before I go. Probably will give one to the wife to carry for me then!

Depends on your airline. Cathay Pacific for example allows up to 21 pieces of batteries (if they are less than 100 Wh each). The Mavic Pro is 43 Wh each.

As long as you are getting full warranty from purchasing a Mavic Pro in Singapore, there is really nothing to worry.

Thanks. I'll definitely check with the airline.

Yeah,good point.
Pretty much like in the old days when you bought a camera abroad,flat packed the box in the suitcase,hung the camera around your neck through customs and hid the receipt amongst your wife's knickers.[emoji23]

Are you going to try hand launches and landings from your chair or do you have the mobility (or assistant) to operate a few feet away?

Set up, launch and landing might be your biggest challenge, I'm thinking.

I was concerned about compass calibration as my wheelchair is metal and was worried that that would interfere. In terms of mobility I could always send the kiddies to grab it after shut down as long as it isn't too far i guess. Going to invest in a landing pad to make RTH more accurate I think!

I was concerned about compass calibration as my wheelchair is metal and was worried that that would interfere. In terms of mobility I could always send the kiddies to grab it after shut down as long as it isn't too far i guess. Going to invest in a landing pad to make RTH more accurate I think!

I think if you can manage to set it down on a suitable surface then move back a bit from the drone in your chair you shouldn't encounter any compass issues.
When you do get the mavic don't be tempted to do any calibrations at all.Only calibrate if the app requests.So many drones have had issues with calibrating when not needed.I wish you every success in your venture.Your going to love it.[emoji106]

I think if you can manage to set it down on a suitable surface then move back a bit from the drone in your chair you shouldn't encounter any compass issues.
When you do get the mavic don't be tempted to do any calibrations at all.Only calibrate if the app requests.So many drones have had issues with calibrating when not needed.I wish you every success in your venture.Your going to love it.[emoji106]

Thanks Scooot. I thought that you had to hold the drone and turn it for the compass calibration and that its recommended to do it as part of a pre flight checklist. I'll go look through the manual again.

Thanks Scooot. I thought that you had to hold the drone and turn it for the compass calibration and that its recommended to do it as part of a pre flight checklist. I'll go look through the manual again.

No,definitely don't calibrate on every pre flight.To get a true and stable calibration seems to be troublesome to say the least.
If it isn't requesting one then it will be ok.I have done no calibrations at all since receiving my mavic with zero issues.I will try and find the link to the thread on this subject.

I'm with scoot on this one. If you are several feet away you shouldn't have any compass conflicts with the chair. I launch within ten feet or so from my car regularly with no issues.

Also, do not startup or trust prompts for a calibration from or near the chair, see if it clears several feet away, first.

Better yet if you are getting clean startup indications, don't calibrate at all. I have never calibrated my compass, or imu with hundreds of flights ranging hundreds of miles apart.

Finally, worse case, you get a prompt that won't go away, have someone do it away from the chair or other metal influences so as not to set an inaccurate calibration.

Reactions: scooot and Gatzu1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise