DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden loss of signal advice / precautions?

Eagle430

Reactions
I have a paid job of a big event that i have to do in 2 days,
Problem is...there are warnings on my local dji forums and even from the dji dealer that during the last week a lot of drones lost signal all of a sudden (suspecting a lot of gps interference from nearby countries due to the middle east war), a few drones also had crashed due to this, the situation described by persons who had this issue is: they had enough satellites for safe take off , then all of a sudden and when going above 22-25 meters of altitude satellites were turned to 0 and the lost connection / atti mode was turning on on the controller. Some people were able to bring back their drone, others said the drone kept flying straight until it crashed.

I will keep the drone close to me and will not be using any of the gps depended intelligent flight modes, for sure its a very scary thing to happen.
I am using n1 controller and an ipad mini 6 with out built gps. I have set my drone/ controller settings to when signal is lost to return home at a height of 40meters

Any advice of anything i can do as a precaution before going to the job / anyt advice of what should i do other than a panic attack and try to fly the drone back to me manually in case it happens to me as well? I don't know if calibrating the drone when i go to that location can help as well?

Do not confuse loss of GPS and loss of connection, they have nothing to do with each other. Loss of GPS means your drone turns to ATTI mode, but you can still control it.
Loss of GPS does not cause loss of connection between the drone and controller.

Problem is...there are warnings on my local dji forums and even from the dji dealer that during the last week a lot of drones lost signal all of a sudden (suspecting a lot of gps interference from nearby countries due to the middle east war)
There is a lot of interference to GPS in your area:
a few drones also had crashed due to this
Drones don't crash because of loss of GPS.
Drones crash because their owners don't have much experience and fly badly.
the situation described by persons who had this issue is: they had enough satellites for safe take off , then all of a sudden and when going above 22-25 meters of altitude satellites were turned to 0 and the lost connection / atti mode was turning on on the controller.
You don't lose connection if you lose GPS.
I will keep the drone close to me and will not be using any of the gps depended intelligent flight modes, for sure its a very scary thing to happen.
I am using n1 controller and an ipad mini 6 with out built gps.
None of that matters at all.
Your drone has a GPS receive that's the one that matters.
I have set my drone/ controller settings to when signal is lost to return home at a height of 40meters
Lose GPS and your drone won't be able to RTH
Any advice of anything i can do as a precaution before going to the job / anyt advice of what should i do other than a panic attack and try to fly the drone back to me manually in case it happens to me as well? I don't know if calibrating the drone when i go to that location can help as well?

No amount of calibrating anything would make any difference.

I would recommend not flying because you don't have enough understanding of how your drone works and without GPS, you would have trouble.
If you do fly, be ready to descend if you lose GPS when going above a certain height.

I would recommend not flying because you don't have enough understanding of how your drone works and without GPS, you would have trouble.
If you do fly, be ready to descend if you lose GPS when going above a certain height.
I would also recommend you not driving your car because you don't have enough understanding of how your engine fuel and electronics work

yeh that GPS jam map that meta shared for you sure shows you in it,mate your grumpyer than me and made me laugh,no disrespect meant in that, good info above and spot on
If your keeping it close just go atti mode after launch and fly it, just be more careful if windy,sure you alread know this , sure you know 2 that each situation different , you join 2020 so those panic days should be long gone and that's worst thing to do,just let go sticks and regroup and off again,
Be good to read what you saw as its good to know what's goin on in this crazy place
awaiting my recommendation 👌

Reactions: Eagle430
I would also recommend you not driving your car because you don't have enough understanding of how your engine fuel and electronics work
You might, but I haven't given you any idea of how good or bad my knowledge of my car's engine is.
But you have given several clues that indicate you are quite confused about how your drone works.
You came here asking for advice, but now aren't very gracious accepting it.

yeh that GPS jam map that meta shared for you sure shows you in it,mate your grumpyer than me and made me laugh,no disrespect meant in that, good info above and spot on
If your keeping it close just go atti mode after launch and fly it, just be more careful if windy,sure you alread know this , sure you know 2 that each situation different , you join 2020 so those panic days should be long gone and that's worst thing to do,just let go sticks and regroup and off again,
Be good to read what you saw as its good to know what's goin on in this crazy place
awaiting my recommendation 👌
Can you switch manually to atti mode on a mavic 3 and dji n1 controller?

Can you switch manually to atti mode on a mavic 3 and dji n1 controller?
No you can't.
But it won't matter because if you lose GPS, your drone will be in Atti Mode because Atti Mode is Normal mode with no GPS.
In Atti Mode your drone won't have horizontal position holding or brakes, so the control will feel very different.
If you don't have experience in Atti Mode, you might think the drone isn't responding to your commands or that you've lost control.

Problem is...there are warnings on my local dji forums and even from the dji dealer that during the last week a lot of drones lost signal all of a sudden (suspecting a lot of gps interference from nearby countries due to the middle east war), a few drones also had crashed due to this, the situation described by persons who had this issue is: they had enough satellites for safe take off , then all of a sudden and when going above 22-25 meters of altitude satellites were turned to 0 and the lost connection / atti mode was turning on on the controller. Some people were able to bring back their drone, others said the drone kept flying straight until it crashed.

I am using n1 controller and an ipad mini 6 with out built gps. I have set my drone/ controller settings to when signal is lost to return home at a height of 40meters

Let us know how you get on, I’m also currently in Cyprus.

Reactions: Eagle430
There is a lot of interference to GPS in your area:

Drones don't crash because of loss of GPS.
Drones crash because their owners don't have much experience and fly badly.

You don't lose connection if you lose GPS.

None of that matters at all.
Your drone has a GPS receive that's the one that matters.

Lose GPS and your drone won't be able to RTH

No amount of calibrating anything would make any difference.

That GPS interference map is just amazing. Never seen anything like it. Curiously, Ukraine shows zero GPS interference on this map, perhaps because wartime interference is a given that need not be mapped.

Just to update - flew today in Cyprus at Landa Beach heading towards Nissi Beach when lost all satellites, had 32 then suddenly zero, connection to rc also lost. Descended and then RTH and managed to get it home.

GPS jam maps have the whole of Cyprus in solid red. I’ll continue to be careful tomorrow but just to make anyone who is in Cyprus aware.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The situations with drones flying away was due to gps jam and not singal lost, different situation, that's why there is almost nothing you can do. I did the job but notified everyone that i would be extremely careful and will not do any distant flying.
I didn't had any issues, everything was ok BUT I stayed below 15 meters and the drone was always at a distance of 100 meters away never flew further. Satellites were around 18.
Apologies for the wrong info on my post, people were talking about sudden signal lost and even rth was not working, drones were out of control and showing home point Lebanon (after asking more info) ,the problem was gps jam
We are still in red for gps signal hopefully the situation will get better soon

The situations with drones flying away was due to gps jam and not singal lost, different situation, that's why there is almost nothing you can do.
Can you show the recorded flight data from one of these incidents?
It might help to understand what actually happened.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J