DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie from Bromley any suggestions for flying here

nullptr7

Reactions
Hey Everyone,

My name is Ishan and I currently live in Beckenham (in Bromley Council). I was thinking of buying myself a drone for quite a long time and now that I finally have one (just got delivered yesterday), I can't wait to take it out for a spin hoping that the weather will be favorable during the weekend.

I was checking the DroneAssist app and found that most of the parks are marked as Amber.

I would really appreciate for any suggestions about the places around Bromley, where I could fly and practice on my flying skills.

Thanks,
Ishan

Reactions: 4006448
There are a few hoops you will have to go through first before you even take to the air. our friends here will give you chapter and verse I am sure. Good luck and fly safe.

Reactions: nullptr7
Hey Everyone,

My name is Ishan and I currently live in Beckenham (in Bromley Council). I was thinking of buying myself a drone for quite a long time and now that I finally have one (just got delivered yesterday), I can't wait to take it out for a spin hoping that the weather will be favorable during the weekend.

I was checking the DroneAssist app and found that most of the parks are marked as Amber.

I would really appreciate for any suggestions about the places around Bromley, where I could fly and practice on my flying skills.

Thanks,
Ishan
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

@nullptr7 welcome to the forum, you will need to get your Operator ID and it would also be to your advantage to take the flyer ID test as well ,although if you have the Mini 3 pro it is not a legal requirement
go on the CAA website ,and select drones and all will be revealed

@nullptr7 welcome to the forum, you will need to get your Operator ID and it would also be to your advantage to take the flyer ID test as well ,although if you have the Mini 3 pro it is not a legal requirement
go on the CAA website ,and select drones and all will be revealed
Yes I have already got the required Operator as well as Flyer ID :)

I just want to find out places where I do not get into trouble from the authorities. Normal publics are still fine, I am planning to fly early morning between 6 and 7am so I will not expect huge crowds anyway.

Yes I have already got the required Operator as well as Flyer ID :)

I just want to find out places where I do not get into trouble from the authorities. Normal publics are still fine, I am planning to fly early morning between 6 and 7am so I will not expect huge crowds anyway.
I hate to say it but it is like the first time you learn to swim, just jump in and you pick this up real quick. Have fun.

You're kinda in luck, because although parks generally have by-laws which restrict you from taking off, landing, or controlling a drone (model aircraft), it looks as if Bromley haven't updated their by-laws.

Therefore, although model aircraft are prohibited, they are defined as being powered by "the combustion of petrol vapour or other combustible fuels".

Of course, this is a loophole and not really in the spirit of the laws, which were drafted in the 70's.

The by-laws are here, although I cannot guarantee they are up to date.

There are also discussions on the link found by searching for "grew arrows bromley park by laws" on google.

Of course, this is at your own risk, but I would say there is nothing to prevent flying a drone, although be sensible in the time you choose and the numbers of people around. If caught and someone decided you broke the rules, it appears you could be asked to leave or get a fine not exceeding £50.

Personally, I stay out of parks and stick to quiet spots on public pavements. But I did go to Richmond Park when I got my first drone, as they have a flying area. But when I arrived, there were loads of deer, the sign said I needed insurance (which I got online for £15 while there) and when a dog had scared off the deer, I was able to fly about for a bit, but there seemed to be a helicopter route going over the flying area, which seems rather daft. Still, gave me a chance to fly about a bit and get a feel for it.

Pro tip. Don't fly it in your house or in a small garden. You'll probably crash. I know I did haha. Those propellers don't half gouge out holes in plastered walls.

You're kinda in luck, because although parks generally have by-laws which restrict you from taking off, landing, or controlling a drone (model aircraft), it looks as if Bromley haven't updated their by-laws.

Therefore, although model aircraft are prohibited, they are defined as being powered by "the combustion of petrol vapour or other combustible fuels".

Of course, this is a loophole and not really in the spirit of the laws, which were drafted in the 70's.

The by-laws are here, although I cannot guarantee they are up to date.

There are also discussions on the link found by searching for "grew arrows bromley park by laws" on google.

Of course, this is at your own risk, but I would say there is nothing to prevent flying a drone, although be sensible in the time you choose and the numbers of people around. If caught and someone decided you broke the rules, it appears you could be asked to leave or get a fine not exceeding £50.

Personally, I stay out of parks and stick to quiet spots on public pavements. But I did go to Richmond Park when I got my first drone, as they have a flying area. But when I arrived, there were loads of deer, the sign said I needed insurance (which I got online for £15 while there) and when a dog had scared off the deer, I was able to fly about for a bit, but there seemed to be a helicopter route going over the flying area, which seems rather daft. Still, gave me a chance to fly about a bit and get a feel for it.

Pro tip. Don't fly it in your house or in a small garden. You'll probably crash. I know I did haha. Those propellers don't half gouge out holes in plastered walls.
Yeah I send an email to the Bromley Council and they did confirm they do not have any bylaws for Drones. Their reply...

The current Byelaws only restrict flying of aircraft “power driven” this is detailed within the laws as being driven by combustion of petrol vapour or other combustible substances or jet/rocket propelled (small reactor motor powered by a small solid fuel pellet).

These Byelaws were written in 1984 many years prior to Drones being available.

To confirm, we can only refer to the CAA guidance until such time that the Byelaws are mod ernised.

Nevertheless, I managed to get my maiden flight at Croydon Recreation Ground. I was lucky to not have much crowd 😊

Reactions: archoptical
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne