DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestions for aging newbie

Yep, but you need a cart to start, lol.
Now you got me checking out the Avata 2.

The biggest issue with the Avata 1/2 and any FPV is the same thing that makes it awesome: FPV.

If it makes you motion sick, and you can't adapt, it's a total no-go.

If it doesn't, i recommended the Avata 2 for exactly the reason that you can learn to fly it with all the nannies of any DJI camera drone, but as you get better take it places you'd never send a camera drone.

A beginner can crash tons with the Avata 2 without damage.

I do agree with everyone here that, if the goal is limited to just flying around at altitude in the clear, a mini is a better choice. I'm challenging that limited goal.

Reactions: Rchawks
Any suggestions?
Any consumer drone (except the FPV drones since he seems to like the more traditional DJI drones) would be a great choice for a first time DJI drone. I like your idea of getting a drone that's compatible with one of the DJI RCs (with a screen). That'll be a lot less complicated and quicker to set up.

Overall, what I was asking was: What's a good starter model with a fair to good camera? Easy to fly, forgiving of possible slow reactions, etc. I learned that those with opinions on the built-in view screens didn't care for them, so I'm thinking a simple tablet might do that job. Price isn't too critical, so it doesn't have to be the cheapest one, but I still think a quick and easy learning curve is the top priority.

Any consumer drone (except the FPV drones since he seems to like the more traditional DJI drones) would be a great choice for a first time DJI drone. I like your idea of getting a drone that's compatible with one of the DJI RCs (with a screen). That'll be a lot less complicated and quicker to set up.
I like that idea, too. I don't know much about iPhones, so setting his up might be tricky. He may also be less agile with that phone beyond phone calls and the occasional photo, so a simple view screen might also be a priority.

Overall, what I was asking was: What's a good starter model with a fair to good camera? Easy to fly, forgiving of possible slow reactions, etc. I learned that those with opinions on the built-in view screens didn't care for them, so I'm thinking a simple tablet might do that job. Price isn't too critical, so it doesn't have to be the cheapest one, but I still think a quick and easy learning curve is the top priority.

That paragraph reads Mini 4 Pro to me. Great camera, easy to fly, lots of room to grow as he becomes more skilled and can explore / learn the rich set of features, 360 OA for a bit more protection while learning.

Since cost is not a top consideration, make a purchase that will serve well as he learns. A mini 2 variant will become limiting long before the M4P, if ever.

As for the screened controller (RC2), I love it, and there are plenty of people that share that opinion too.

That paragraph reads Mini 4 Pro to me. Great camera, easy to fly, lots of room to grow as he becomes more skilled and can explore / learn the rich set of features, 360 OA for a bit more protection while learning.

Since cost is not a top consideration, make a purchase that will serve well as he learns. A mini 2 variant will become limiting long before the M4P, if ever.

As for the screened controller (RC2), I love it, and there are plenty of people that share that opinion too.
Yeah my vote too. m4p would not be underpowered. We'll take a poll for ya, lol.

Did you read my suggestion in post #8 - Suggestions for aging newbie

Did you read my suggestion in post #8 - Suggestions for aging newbie

The Mini 2 SE is a great drone, but one of its biggest features is low price, and for that you make some sacrifices. In particular, no 4K video (2.7K/30), lower wind tolerance, and to me this is a biggie, O2 protocol, so the RC-N1 will pretty much be dedicated to the Mini 2 SE.

If cost is not a big concern, the M4P addresses all these issues, and the RC (N2 or 2) will work with several other models if he gets the drone virus.

He could add a Neo in the future for just U$200 and use all his stick-flying skills with it.

Reactions: Max Headroom
Age should have nothing to do with a person's choice of drone. Some people are old and frail at 50, and others remain full of youthful vigor when they're 85 or 90. I'd advise any prospective recreational buyer, regardless of age, to buy and enjoy a drone that offers the performance characteristics and photographic capabilities that he or she desires and can afford. The many built-in safeguards on DJI drones, from entry level to more sophisticated models, are very forgiving of operator error.

For all intents and purposes, flying a drone is a sedentary activity. One need only have two thumbs, reasonable eyesight, and a bit of common sense to safely fly a drone. It isn't as demanding as flying an F-22 or even driving a car in traffic, and the stakes are a lot lower.

Age should have nothing to do with a person's choice of drone. Some people are old and frail at 50, and others remain full of youthful vigor when they're 85 or 90. I'd advise any prospective recreational buyer, regardless of age, to buy and enjoy a drone that offers the performance characteristics and photographic capabilities that he or she desires and can afford. The many built-in safeguards on DJI drones, from entry level to more sophisticated models, are very forgiving of operator error.

This is spot on, very insightful. The only thing I would add is these desires/requirements are dynamic, will change with gained experience, so more drones are likely in the future if he gets infected with the incurable Dronitis. 😁

For all intents and purposes, flying a drone is a sedentary activity. One need only have two thumbs, reasonable eyesight, and a bit of common sense to safely fly a drone.

Okay. Someone needs to take you out for some full, unconstrained manual FPV flight. Perhaps Nurk could take you along for a train ride 😅

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

no 4K video (2.7K/30), lower wind tolerance,

Thanks @Droning on and on...

Having seen 2.7k video playback i am glad i didn't pay extra for 4k my monitor resolution is 2560 x 1440 resolution so i wouldn't see the benefit of 4k most people watch YouTube video on devices that cannot show anywhere near the resolution we are filming in so that is something to bear in mind when we are starting out and buying our first drone.

I haven't had any problem with flying in wind if its too windy i don't take the drone out its just a hobby for me i wouldn't risk the wind causing problems.

1727894042823.png

Last edited:
No argument, @Max Headroom! Like i said, the 2SE is a great drone, and amazing capability for the price. Everyone repeat after me: Quckshots!

There's no objectively "right" answer to any of this. After all, people's needs and wants are inherently subjective.

I fully agree with your reasoning. Something that's important to me is having some resolution left over for cropping in post if I need to. Most of my output is generally FHD, as I post to YT for family and friends. But that's what's important to me.

Reactions: Max Headroom
This is spot on, very insightful. The only thing I would add is these desires/requirements are dynamic, will change with gained experience, so more drones are likely in the future if he gets infected with the incurable Dronitis. 😁

Okay. Someone needs to take you out for some full, unconstrained manual FPV flight. Perhaps Nurk could take you along for a train ride 😅

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yeah, that's some impressive flying, but it's not my thing. I'm old enough to know my own limits and wise enough to know that I don't have to prove anything to anyone, including myself.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AhmadCGM