DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestions for aging newbie

Melvoid

Reactions
Hi,

So I showed some friends my Air 2 yesterday and "he" is very interested in getting a drone. Of course, I will become tech support by default. I'm looking for suggestions for a first-timer that should be quick and easy to learn and that I can help with.

He's in his 80s. Very sharp, but we need it to be not too complicated. A big thing is, I think it should be a model with the view screen built in. He uses an iPhone; I use and Android. I know nothing about iPhones except that if it comes to using his Apple password and whatnot, I will probably not be able to help. I've tried and it was very difficult.

Price isn't too critical, but ease of use and a decent camera are what I think are the main concerns.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Until we get up to 'Inspire' levels, most DJI machines are as easy to fly and use as each other. And if you just need a built in screen then the Mini 4 Pro, or Air 3 with the RC2 (screen in controller) option should do nicely. The differences between Mini series, Air series and Mavics is mainly about cameras and wind resistance. Mini 4 Pro has just the one (VERY good) camera and is weaker in wind (can handle up to 36 mph gusts), but is often considered great for beginners, mainly for how eminently portable and quick to setup and fly it is. If he was totally new to this, and hadn't seen yours I might recommend the Neo, which is loads cheaper, and its camera is 'OK' but its real advantage is crash resistance, if you think that might be something that will be happening a lot ! Personally I would (and did!) choose the M4P over the Neo, and I will be careful not to crash it !

Last edited:
ALL DJI models would be a good drone for your friend really I got my nieghbor started on an Mini 3 pro and he loved it Granted I ended up doing most of the setup for him and I still am. Its a great drone and its under the limit so no added confusion. I did end up getting him a non screened controller so he could use his IPAD for a larger screen. I would suggest staying clear of the screened remotes due to their small screen size.

On the other hand, I would suggest something simple like on if the Mini 1 or Mini 2 series and perferably a mini 2 full stop.
Why?
Because the newer models have many more options available that can change the drones' behaviours e.g. OA (with various responses available ) and RTH with some quite complicated behaviours being possible.

Keep thing simple at first, if he likes the suggested Mini 2 he can then upgrade to one of the more recent models and if so desired probably sell the mini 2 with little or no loss.

The only worry with a Mini 2 is, if second hand, that you would NEED TO ENSURE that the drone wasn't bound to someones account AND that the controller wasn't bound to the drone. You'd probably have to be responsible for that check.

In addition the mini 2 will be cheap by comparison and not such a loss if he crashes it.

Thanks for the replies. While I use my Android phone, he might prefer a larger screen like a tablet. I hadn't really thought of that, but I am now. I used a tablet with my previous Phantom and kind of miss the screen size.

Good suggestions. Thanks

Absolute best option is the Avata 2 with the MC3. He'll be flying with confidence in no time, and the FPV experience nearly always wows.

Only risk is he turns out to be one of those 1 in 10 that can never get used to the tilting horizon and are constantly motion sick.

My suggestion is the Air 2 with the Smart Controller. We had a blast with that setup and not having to deal with Ipads , cords priceless. and you can get a used one for a really good price. Sell him yours and you upgrade. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I am new to drones and recently bought a Mini 2 SE fly more combo at 63 definitely fall into the ageing newbie category i was worried about flying but followed the guides posted by the members here and everything was fine until i got over confident and flew (very slowly) into a tree, no real harm done and i now avoid them ;)

BTW you definitely need more than one battery so the extra two you get (3 total) along with the charger hub in the fly more combo is worth it for those alone.

1727726035796.png

1727726331802.png

Last edited:
Hi,

So I showed some friends my Air 2 yesterday and "he" is very interested in getting a drone. Of course, I will become tech support by default. I'm looking for suggestions for a first-timer that should be quick and easy to learn and that I can help with.

He's in his 80s. Very sharp, but we need it to be not too complicated. A big thing is, I think it should be a model with the view screen built in. He uses an iPhone; I use and Android. I know nothing about iPhones except that if it comes to using his Apple password and whatnot, I will probably not be able to help. I've tried and it was very difficult.

Price isn't too critical, but ease of use and a decent camera are what I think are the main concerns.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Work out what the use will be before committing to anything. If your friend is a photographer: the mini 3 pro/4 pro will offer a stunning little camera on a tripod that has legs up to 400' long.

If they like the idea of zipping around like a bluebottle on cocaine: the Avata will fit the bill.

The built in screen controllers can be a pain, the screens are not as big as you might think and the sticks are in a poor position. A separate controller with a nice big android tablet gives older eyes less strain.

How good or bad is your friends' vision and reaction time? Memory as well.

That dictates a LOT as far as im concerned, moreso than budget or level of interest.

Screens are small, complex, and the details on them are important.

I would NOT suggest an FPV for an octogenarian as a first drone! Visual acuity aside, they may also induce headaches, dizziness etc.

Something simple, small, slower, and perhaps with collision avoidance for a first drone would be what i would suggest.

I would not want any octogenarian flying an FPV as their first drone anywhere near my neighborhood anymore than a 14 year old.

Used is fine as well if in excellent condition, plenty of Mini 3's out there with low flight times.

I gave my Mini 3 to my 67 year old dad, and he flies it with an iPad as his vision is not good enough for the controller screen it came with for him to make out all the details and text on it, flying in Cinema mode with auto for all camera settings. With the big bright iPad my dad can make everything out MUCH better and safer, but it does look rediculous.

I have a good younger friend with Tourettes that i ABSOLUTELY will NOT let fly my drones, as he has physical tics quite often, and he BARELY got his drivers license during covid (when no driving test was required!!! idiocy!!!) and it scares me to death watching him drive.

Reactions: Rchawks and AeroJ
I would NOT suggest an FPV for an octogenarian as a first drone! Visual acuity aside, they may also induce headaches, dizziness etc.
Yeah I was surprised anyone would suggest that, but at least the Avata 2 has stable, 'safe' modes in a way that most FPV rigs don't, and has pretty decent crash survival rates. But I would have thought that most octogenarians are over the whole 'whanging it round a field' thing, and probably more interested in serenely sail-planing about, getting lovely footage and not having to think anywhere near as fast as FPV guys do.

Reactions: Xi Zhou
Yeah I was surprised anyone would suggest that, but at least the Avata 2 has stable, 'safe' modes in a way that most FPV rigs don't, and has pretty decent crash survival rates. But I would have thought that most octogenarians are over the whole 'whanging it round a field' thing, and probably more interested in serenely sail-planing about, getting lovely footage and not having to think anywhere near as fast as FPV guys do.
Agreed, i cant believe anyone read the entire OP's post and took it seriously and logically...

I have a friend who used to fly very frequently (Cessnas) who turned his flying license in at 70 after a simple pilot check error before a flight. He used to be a bomber pilot in Korea in his prime. Turned in his drivers license at 82, and is still quite sharp and active at 92 (?).

I cannot imagine any 80+ person getting into drones with an FPV resulting in anything less than a totalled drone in a few flights, or worse, damage/liability issues etc.

Ive learned to never trust OA as my Air 3 flew itself into a well lit wall with high contrast windows in Cine mode in Bypass mode, faster than i could react, and im 40 and have been flying for years and was pulling BACK on the stick when it decided to attack my house.

Same drone went NUTS in a dark abandoned railroad tunnel about 200' inside and 200' from the controller, eventually totalling itself against the brick and cement walls at a sudden, high speed, and ignoring all my inputs.

Reactions: Rchawks
Agreed, i cant believe anyone read the entire OP's post and took it seriously and logically...

Well, believe it guys!

Before the Motion Controller, I never would have suggested anyone at any age start out with FPV.

The Avata and the Motion Controller have changed everything. I've had lots of people older than me (62; one 92 year old, my mom) put the goggles on and sedately fly around. And love it.

The biggest issue with the Avata is the tilting horizon... some people can't get used to it at any age.

The well-controlled flight in N mode, and the intuitive method of the MC makes an enormous difference.

From my perspective this is how I started. My first drone was a Mavic mini which I bought to get familiar with the controls and functions. Then I bought a Mavic Air 2 and what a difference is power. Wow, It's a bit scarier than the mini lol. My third drone is a mini 3 pro also a very good drone and a step up from Mavic Mini for sure. I would suggest as others have said maybe a nero or mini 4 pro, I really like the built in screen, but the information is pretty small. Now with the MA2 I use a ipad 4 with a mount to rest the ipad on. I used to fly rc and used one of my old neck straps to help support the weight. This makes flying much more comfortable as I use a HoodMan Aviator for viewing. It's great he's got you as a contact for learning as most of us are self taught I think.
I never seen anyone fly a Avata, but I would imagine that it's pretty noisy and the nero can be too. One of the things I like about m3p is it's quiet compared to the MA2 and doesn't attract much attention. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to own one I just haven't got to that stage yet.
I didn't have any trouble setting up my I pad for my MA2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
He uses an iPhone; I use and Android. I know nothing about iPhones except that if it comes to using his Apple password and whatnot, I will probably not be able to help. I've tried and it was very difficult.
I sometimes help my 85 year old neighbor who happens to own one of the same drones I do (Air 2). I use Android and he uses an iPhone. I have no trouble helping him with the DJI Fly app - they are the same on both phones. Helping him with configuring the app should not be a challenge.

The Mini 4 pro would be a great 1st drone for your friend. The obstacle avoidance is first rate and makes for an excellent set of training wheels :)

Reactions: Rchawks
How good or bad is your friends' vision and reaction time? Memory as well.

That dictates a LOT as far as im concerned, moreso than budget or level of interest.

Screens are small, complex, and the details on them are important.

Something simple, small, slower, and perhaps with collision avoidance for a first drone would be what i would suggest.

I would not want any octogenarian flying an FPV as their first drone anywhere near my neighborhood anymore than a 14 year old.

Used is fine as well if in excellent condition, plenty of Mini 3's out there with low flight times.

I gave my Mini 3 to my 67 year old dad, and he flies it with an iPad as his vision is not good enough for the controller screen it came with for him to make out all the details and text on it, flying in Cinema mode with auto for all camera settings. With the big bright iPad my dad can make everything out MUCH better and safer, but it does look rediculous.

I have a good younger friend with Tourettes that i ABSOLUTELY will NOT let fly my drones, as he has physical tics quite often, and he BARELY got his drivers license during covid (when no driving test was required!!! idiocy!!!) and it scares me to death watching him drive.

He's well into his 80s. Vision is decent, but I would definitely not recommend the FPV. I've been flying for 11 or 12 years and just recently tried the FPV for the first time. It was OK, but I wouldn't have wanted to start with that. I think I'll suggest the Android tablet. The details about the built-in screen helped.

Being in his 80s, I'm guessing the reaction time is a bit slower. I made sure he knew that when flying, if you just let go of the controls, it'll stop and hover; so as long as he remembers that, learning shouldn't be too bad. He lives on open land with few trees, so that's a good place to learn... but a model with obstacle avoidance is a priority.

I appreciate the suggestions, particularly specific models. Even though I'm on my third DJI, I'm not a mental catalogue of all the models and their features.

Being on open land is awesome. It makes the learning curve so much easier. I had a friend that would let me fly on his 160 acre farm. Much better for relaxing and learning at your own pace.

Last edited:
What surprised me was the fact that a number of people failed to read the first sentence of the response and then failed to notice the use of the word IF in the next two paragraphs.

Putting it plainly - he needs to choose the tool most appropriate for what his friend wants to do with a drone. Different horses for different courses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AhmadCGM