DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie from Northland New Zealand

Hi.

Lucky you living over on the coast, I visit frequently and would move in a heart beat if the wife would let me.
Go mostly down south Westland hunting’s and tramping.
Have you ever got a doc permit? I have looked them up and apart from the cost seem reasonably easy to get, but I haven’t flown in any of their land yet so haven’t bothered.
I’ve got permits to take my dog hunting easily enough through the local doc office, as long as they aren’t banned from an area for any particular reason.
Would be great to see any footage you’ve managed to get.
Have toyed with the idea of my 102 as well.
Hi, where are you based, down south west? I would swop the beaches for the rivers and mountains in a heartbeat, but getting to old to move now, running my own biz up here for 3.5 years with family near by, the thought of starting all over again in a new area puts me off. I am single and free but just turned 58, ugh. Here is my first attempt before I discovered tripod method, warning bad video here. Beautiful beach though, look forward to redoing some better video. In the process of putting together some of other lovely areas up here.

No Ive not applied for a doc permit, they seem to think this area is ok, see here.
There are no specific conservation areas in the North Island we specifically recommend you apply to fly a drone.
If you want to use a drone in the North Island, we recommend you talk to the local DOC office to discuss where you want to fly a drone.
So I will have a chat to the local doc office up here soon.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
I’ve found the same wherever i’ve flown, more interested people having a look than grumpy, but if you ask first it’s normally all good. I do try and make a point of flying away from people.
My impression from doc was a bit knee jerk to bad publicity, ie the drone that was spying on walkers in the Able Tasman several years ago (although reading the article it seemed a bit far fetched). I also think it’s a money making exercise for doc, especially in this political climate. I agree, you’d be breaking the rules but where I go there is no one around to annoy and the wildlife would keep its distance as well.
Would love to take it tramping next time to film, especially now I have the much smaller mavic. Hopefully see you out there??

Reactions: wendyc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11