DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie here from Central Valley NY

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. I also fly a MM and have enjoyed many flights. Good choice on the Combo. You will find all sorts of support and suggestions. Enjoy your flying. We look forward to seeing your part of the world

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Thank you all for the warm welcome... ;)

The past couple of days were windy w/ gusts here in NY (40 miles NW of NYC) and I was a bit reluctant to fly but/so I took caution and limited my altitude starting out at < 20' and then gradually went to < 85' to prevent a flyaway. Had 1 little hiccup where my drone went down to the ground and fortunately for me, it was only 10-12' in the air prior to heading to earth. :oops: Got some prop scratches / bruises and I was more than happy to watch it go back into the air a few minutes later w/o any issues... :cool:

Not sure if the wind caught the drone or if when flying I lost connection... So, a question for you guys is:
Do I need to have a direct line of communication to my drone (Mavic Mini) all the time while flying? Or, would going behind a Pota-Potty effect the communication?

I was flying at a construction site next to my home as the drone was 150-175' from me and I either lost it due to a wind tunnel between two buildings or do to it going behind a Porta-Potty????

The past couple of days were windy w/ gusts here in NY (40 miles NW of NYC) and I was a bit reluctant to fly but/so I took caution and limited my altitude starting out at < 20' and then gradually went to < 85' to prevent a flyaway. Had 1 little hiccup where my drone went down to the ground and fortunately for me, it was only 10-12' in the air prior to heading to earth. :oops: Got some prop scratches / bruises and I was more than happy to watch it go back into the air a few minutes later w/o any issues... :cool:

Not sure if the wind caught the drone or if when flying I lost connection... So, a question for you guys is:
Do I need to have a direct line of communication to my drone (Mavic Mini) all the time while flying? Or, would going behind a Pota-Potty effect the communication?

I was flying at a construction site next to my home as the drone was 150-175' from me and I either lost it due to a wind tunnel between two buildings or do to it going behind a Porta-Potty????
going behind any thing even a tree can disrupt the signal from the RC to the AC depending how far away the drone was from the controller, if it is less than 20m then it will just land

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks for the info and YIKES!!!
@Birds-in-Flight are you aware that in the last app update it is now possible to set different parameters for what you want the drone to do if a RTH event is initiated ,i believe the default is fly to the preset chosen height and then return (if more than 20m away from home point) but now there are the option of land or hover in place as well, which can be set before take off ,i am not sure ,but i believe that it reverts back to the default after the drone has been switched off ,so it needs to be set before each flight ,i could be wrong as i have not had chance to test it yet due to the lockdown

Reactions: Birds-in-Flight

If you were flying in gusts then most likely it lost lift at some point, hence the sudden descent to earth. try and not hover a few feet off the ground for too long as changes in wind conditions at ground level are unpredictable. Always check the weather prior and the wind conditions. Best to maintain a direct line of sight with the drone for best communications. Radio waves like anything can bend around an object to some degree (diffraction) but can also be absorbed or interfered with as they pass through something. Without going into the physics keep it in sight as much as you can.

@Birds-in-Flight are you aware that in the last app update it is now possible to set different parameters for what you want the drone to do if a RTH event is initiated ,i believe the default is fly to the preset chosen height and then return (if more than 20m away from home point) but now there are the option of land or hover in place as well, which can be set before take off ,i am not sure ,but i believe that it reverts back to the default after the drone has been switched off ,so it needs to be set before each flight ,i could be wrong as i have not had chance to test it yet due to the lockdown
I will check into this, so far I have only been aware of the RTH height setting which I have been adjusting accordingly. I went out earlier and when setting the RTH height I wasn’t too sure what height to set it at because I wanted to set it 15-20’ above tree height. The question I was asking myself is:
When I ascended (car parking lot; home point RTH=100’). I was at a higher elevation (appx150’) from where I was going to be flying on the athletic fields and school grounds so, if/when the drone was going to RTH, I wasn’t sure if the drone was going to go 100’ above the school grounds or if it would go to 250’ above school grounds? Hence being 100’ above the parking lot.
I was afraid of the drone flying 250’ above the fields due to windy conditions.
Trying to learn the limitations of flying w/o a disaster and ruining my self isolation. ?

Reactions: old man mavic
I will check into this, so far I have only been aware of the RTH height setting which I have been adjusting accordingly. I went out earlier and when setting the RTH height I wasn’t too sure what height to set it at because I wanted to set it 15-20’ above tree height. The question I was asking myself is:
When I ascended (car parking lot; home point RTH=100’). I was at a higher elevation (appx150’) from where I was going to be flying on the athletic fields and school grounds so, if/when the drone was going to RTH, I wasn’t sure if the drone was going to go 100’ above the school grounds or if it would go to 250’ above school grounds? Hence being 100’ above the parking lot.
I was afraid of the drone flying 250’ above the fields due to windy conditions.
Trying to learn the limitations of flying w/o a disaster and ruining my self isolation. ?
the RTH height is above the home point

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk