DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie in all things drone - New Zealand

From California, US - @Manicmedic - Thanks for joining us @ MP!
You'll need to to check with your country's Aviation Authority to see what the rules are for flying drones there. I'm sure they have flight rules, requirements for registration of the drone, etc. Enjoy flying - it is rewarding to see what your drone sees. Also, you can find video editors so you can edit and share the places you've flown.

Welcome.
First thing, downlaod the control app Go4 from either
DJI GO 4 - Download Center - DJI
or if you have an android phone
DO NOT download it from anywhere else.

Play with it on a phone even if you are getting a drone with a smart controller

Download and read, MANY TIMES, the drone's manual
There is A LOT in there and I would bet you will miss stuff, or miss the significance of stuff, on the first few read through.

When you get the drone DO NOT rush out and try to fly it.

I suggest you compare the manual with the working Go4 app when connected to a live drone.
Direct the output of a fan over the drone to help keep it cool.
DO NOT bother about updates at the moment and decline any that are offered.

Check that the following options are set
Beginner mode ---------- is set to off
"RTH at Current Altitude" is set to off that's a debateable one
In "Adavanced Settings"
"Emergency motor stop" is set to "Breakdown" AND NOT "Always"
"RC Signal Lost " ---------- is set to "Return to Home" = RTH

Personally I would switch OA, obstacle avoidance, OFF.
It nearly cost me my m2p on its first flight, or rather, my not knowing it was on and what it would do, nearly cost me the drone.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'll be collecting my 'new to me' Mavic 2 Pro in a few weeks. A good deal. It's worth the older drone, and if I enjoy it, then maybe when the Mavic 4 arrives, I'll swap once I have some basic skills.

Lovely but very wet at the moment Whangarei, New Zealand.
Good choice for a first drone. Proper workhorse with more features than you can shake a stick at. Welcome from the UK Midlands.

M Pro 2 caution:
Never use a battery that has the slightest hint of swelling. The M2’s early batteries were notorious for swelling and popping out of the drone while flying. Even with good batteries (replaced all mine at least twice), I use a velcro strap around the battery, in case it swells, it won’t eject from the drone.
All (?), newer DJI products enclose the battery within the drone. 😊

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and view of the world.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine,USA!

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r0xt4r