DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie mistake regarding RTH

Jazzman

Reactions
Almost embarrassed to admit cause after it happened I realized that I should have known. First off I'm a newbie with a Mavic Air and I'm also geographically challenged. Was out in the desert where I could fly safely quite a distance as there are no houses, people, animals, etc. for miles. So I'm out quite a ways (2500+feet) and watching landscape go by on the display. Thought it would be fun to land way out there and take off again, which I did. As soon as I took flight manually from new location the GO4App said something about RTH point recorded. PANIC! The home point arrow on the map now was showing the "new" location and I realized that I had just lost my current location and if I needed to hit RTH the drone would no longer return to where I was. Oh my gosh, I can't see the drone, am I located behind the drone, to it's right or ?? How in the world am I going to fly home? I had mostly been flying away from me so I turned it around and pressed forward and soon could hear it in the distance. I did get it back "home" to me and made mental note - never land and take off away from the current home position again. Is there anything I could have done or look at on my display that would show where me and my controller were? Hope this helps someone new like me to realize that if you land and take off thousands of feet away from you, a new RTH will be set.

On your controller there are two RTH options. The Icon on the right sets your home point to wherever your controller is.
So if I remember correctly, there is a map (on my Ipad mini display it's on the lower right) and on the lower left is a radar looking circle with another arrow. Is this the one you are referring to that will show where I (and the controller) am? And thanks for you input.

Sir, a lot of information can be gained by reading the manual. If you prefer more visual/video aid, there are numerous YouTube videos about the "DJI Go 4 App". After searching for those I recommend a few youtuber''s channels: Ed Ricker, 51 Drones, Ready Set Drone, The Everday Dad and FlytPath are some that I folow. They are more that get more technical, but these all have Beginner Videos, 51 Drones actually label his in a Beginner Series. Without actually starting drone/app many would be answering from memory, these videos are very helpful and I refer back to them when I find myself stumped.

Happy Flying

See these NUMEROUS OPTIONS (Click Here)- to assist you in Changing yr Home Point.
You want to set yr Home point as your RC -

Reactions: Ottobob and Jazzman
So if I remember correctly, there is a map (on my Ipad mini display it's on the lower right) and on the lower left is a radar looking circle with another arrow. Is this the one you are referring to that will show where I (and the controller) am? And thanks for you input.
The map and radar display will show where the recorded home point is.
That's not where you are if you've recorded a new home point.

Reactions: m0j0
Learn about that little icon in the bottom left of your screen. You will always know exactly which way your drone is pointed in reference to where you are.

If your screen goes out look at the controller and see if the distance is getting closer or farther.

Learn about that little icon in the bottom left of your screen. You will always know exactly which way your drone is pointed in reference to where you are.
in reference to where the pilot is... or the homepoint is. The OP landed a half of mile away and this reset the homepoint.

in reference to where the pilot is... or the homepoint is. The OP landed a half of mile away and this reset the homepoint.
The icon works in reference to where you are at. Homepoint has nothing to do with it.

If you understand the icon in the lower left of your screen you don’t need to be able to physically see where the drone is to fly it home. It shows which way the drone is facing in relation to where you are standing. That makes it simple to spin the arrow (drone) until it points to the dot in the center (you). Then all you have to do is push forward and the drone will go on a straight line right to you.

You could be inside and have your buddy fly your drone two miles away and you could come outside, take over the controller and have it headed right for you in literally 2-3 seconds.

It’s the most useful graphic on the screen if I’m just flying around so I’m surprised so many people don’t use it.

Last edited:
Important (but not too well known) safety tip:

iPhones have GPS, but iPads do NOT unless they also have cellular data capability. (Apple uses the same chip for GPS and LTE). That means that the vast majority of iPads do not have GPS. Keep that in mind when choosing what to use with your remote controller. It will still work, but as noted above, your drone will not know where its controller is.

Android phones and tablets all have GPS.

Again, in relationship to where you are standing or the homepoint.

Think about that.

(it's the homepoint)
It depends on if you have your homepoint set as your RTH or if you have your controller set as RTH. I always leave it as my controller so it never re establishes a new HP.

iPhones have GPS, but iPads do NOT unless they also have cellular data capability. (Apple uses the same chip for GPS and LTE). That means that the vast majority of iPads do not have GPS. Keep that in mind when choosing what to use with your remote controller. It will still work, but as noted above, your drone will not know where its controller is.

Great point. I think he was using an iPad.
I think his best bet is not to land somewhere else. If he does then make sure you are pointed directly back before landing.

Otherwise you kinda have to watch your distance meter on your controller to see if it’s getting closer or farther.

Might be nice to have the option in DJI Go to not update the HP automatically when taking off. Might also be an unnecessary hassle to have another slider since most people would rarely use it.

I say just make sure you’re pointed in the path to go directly home before landing anywhere else.

Last edited:

Also keep in mind that gps will indicate position but the compass indicates orientation.
Before you launch, always check that the triangular icon on your screen is pointed in the same direction as your craft.

Reactions: KyleBrazil
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661