DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie mistake

Bobvt

Reactions
Hello everyone,
Crashed my M2Z, sport mode beware, Misjudged my distance and put my ac. up into a branch,real question is what are your experiences with the Geek squad.
Thanks for any comments.
Bobvt

Reactions: Dronage
I wouldn't let the Geek Squad change my shoelaces. Two horrible experiences, one in NY and another in NC.
Thunderdrones is the way to go for repairs.
If you need to contact me for any reason, please send me an email.

My email:

[email protected]

Thank you!

Rob

Two horrible experiences, one in NY and another in NC.
Are you saying you hired the Geek Squad to repair your DJI drones in the past? If so, what kind of trouble did you experience with your repairs?

Are you saying you hired the Geek Squad to repair your DJI drones in the past? If so, what kind of trouble did you experience with your repairs?
Not drone repairs. Laptop computers.

I too have had bad experiences with the Geek Squad. They tried to overcharge me $149 for a simple virus detection and cleaning. Took it to Staples and they did it for $79.

I dont like Best Buys business practices. Anyone who recommends them evidently has never dealt with them.

Last edited:
All the 'geekers" will do is "maybe" calibrate all the sensors, update (if able to do so) the firmware and call it a day.

The "insurance" you bought at the register was a basically tossed into the wind, sorry to say.
You have the one year with DJI at the start, then you can get the care/refresh for a hundred bucks. That is waaay more comprehensive than anything the "geekers" will/can do.

Period.

AND, what a lot of folks don't realize, the the "extra" coverage you're buying at the checkout register in Best Buy, or other places, actually runs concurrent with the factory warranty at the time of purchase. So, 2 "clocks are running at the same time....

State Farm offers "Personal Article Protection" policies for drones. See more details here.

Erie is my insurance company too. I've never contacted them about a drone issue or have seen anyone mention doing the same.

Are you saying to have your drone covered under your homeowners policy or does State Farm offer specific separate insurance for drones? Or is this a joke in reference to the commercial?

No, not homeowners policy. It a separate policy for your drone, camera equipment etc. PAP, and the deductible is usually $0 and covers your drone in any case. Theft, flyaway, crash, submersion. It's real insurance, unlike DJI Refresh which is really a damage protection policy.

That commercial is funny, but a wakeup call. Everyone NEEDS damage protection for the hull of the drone, PLUS liability insurance in case you cause damage to a person or property. Refresh is lacking but will suffice in regions that dont offer State Farm. Liability insurance might be available through your homeowners or renters policy, but also through Academy of Model Aeranautics in the USA.

Just a heads up to the $0 deductible in Fl. My agent (Rocco English in Orlando, talk to Lauren) explained to me the $60 had a $100 deductible, I paid $75 for the $0 for the year.

Interesting. It seems our insurance provider covers them by default as well. Can ERIE Cover My Drone?
This article may be a little misleading for some people. The article indicates that the drone is covered under your homeowners policy for personal use. This is true but the coverage they are talking about is liability coverage. This is great protection to have in the event your drone causes property or personal damages, you will be covered, as would you be with most other homeowners policies in regards to liability. But it doesn't detail the hull coverage. A drone for personal use is considered personal property and would be covered under the personal property section of your HO policy, but that coverage is subject to your deductible. Typical HO policies have a $500-$1000 deductible, so you should take that into consideration. I would still inquire with Erie about a separate personal articles policy the same type of policy people use for expensive jewelry and camera equipment.

Reactions: Former Member
This article may be a little misleading for some people. The article indicates that the drone is covered under your homeowners policy for personal use. This is true but the coverage they are talking about is liability coverage.
The article states the following:

"If you’re someone who owns a UAS, you may be wondering whether ERIE would cover yours in the event it got damaged or hurt someone or their property."

I didn't call Erie to confirm, but it seems the article is stating they will cover both the drone and any damage it causes.

The article states the following:

"If you’re someone who owns a UAS, you may be wondering whether ERIE would cover yours in the event it got damaged or hurt someone or their property."

I didn't call Erie to confirm, but it seems the article is stating they will cover both the drone and any damage it causes.
Correct, but will it be subject to your deductible? What is your HO deductible?

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard