DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Question re Altitude

PacRav

Reactions
Hello all. M2P using DJI Go. I gather the legal altitude limit is set by default at 120M (400') in the DJI app. I further gather that the app sees this as the height above the launch point, so if one flies downhill you go into negative altitude and flying uphill of course the altitude will increase. Question is: What happens if one goes vertical at launch to the max 120m and then tries to fly uphill? My brain is telling me that the drone won't be able to climb because it thinks it is at the max. Obviously this can't be the case. Can someone explain to me how the program responds in this scenario, and how does one safely fly up a mountain slope without losing your clearance to ground level. Thanks

The altitude limit set in the GO 4 app (default 120 m, maximum 500 m) refers to height above the takeoff point, which is the only altitude reference that the aircraft knows about - it doesn't have any information on the surrounding terrain. If you want to fly up a slope then you can do that both legally (by remaining no more than 120 m above the ground below the aircraft) and practically (up to the 500 m maximum height if you set that in the app). There is currently no way to go higher up the slope than that unless you make some intermediate landings to reset the home point height.

I'm new here. Yesterday was my second attempt at flying and it was very windy so I didn't venture far from the starting point. My plan at some point is to fly from the ridge where I grabbed this screenshot and fly toward the ski area in the distance. A straight flight toward the summit will take the drone more than 400' above the ground below. Is the height at launch the base level for the entire flight? If I'm reading the response above correctly will I be able to go 400' above that? Even if I can, I suspect that won't be legal.

okemo.jpg

If I'm reading the response above correctly will I be able to go 400' above that? Even if I can, I suspect that won't be legal.
To comply with regulations you would need to keep your drone within 400ft of the ground below it.
You'd also have to keep the drone within visual range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan