DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question regarding distance readout error in Fly app

vulcanclassic

Reactions
I'm a new Mavic Mini 2 owner and just have a question regarding the distance readout in the Fly app. I notice that when I'm on the ground, and the home point has been updated and I'm ready to fly, but the distance to the Mini 2 is saying 20-30' and I'm literally standing right next to it. Now it seems as I fly 10-20 feet away the distance reading seems to be more accurate and what I would expect. Then, as I come back closer in to where I'm actually standing, the distance error returns and displays something like 20-30'. I am a little confused and was thinking from past RC experience that maybe this is just normal when the transmitter and receiver are in close proximity to each other. I've watched some youtube videos where it appears that this distance discrepancy is not happening to others. I guess what concerns me is that there are a lot of trees around where I would like to fly from and if the distance between myself and the Mini 2 is in error in close proximity will this possibly effect my RTH location in the event that a RTH is activated? My thought was that if I take off within 15-20 feet of trees and later in my flight a RTH is initiated, is it possible that observed distance error will make my RTH point off enough to land me in those very trees that were nearby my takeoff point. I'm just wondering if this error is normal and what is the accuracy I should expect on a RTH? Appreciate any help from someone in the know. Advance thanks.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803