DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie RTH question

Dundermifflin

Reactions
RTH worked the first flight, but hasn't since. Although I check that small box that pops up each time to RTH when I select take off, it still doesn't return to home properly. I later learned i need to go into the settings and select either return to take off point or return to controller.

Question: If I go into settings and select take off point as RTH is that stored in there for each flight going forward or do I need to go through that process with each flight?

Thanks.

When you take off, the voice should tell you home point has been set. It sounds like you are talking about the precision RTH feature, which requires extra time after takeoff to take some ground photos of the landing zone. Try taking off manually instead using the joystick engine start method and lifting off yourself. Wait to hear the voice tell you the home point is set, and go fly a little bit, and then hold down the RTH button on the remote to trigger RTH. It should return home slowly. You can cancel its journey at any time by moving the sticks.

The RTH point is set at every takeoff, but can also be changed while in flight a few different ways. Best to read the manual about that.

Honestly though RTH is so slow and no fun I never use it, but glad to have it in case something goes wrong.

Reactions: Vacation guy
I agree with Pathogen. Using RTH is great if you lose your line of sight and want to bring it back easily. Just make sure to inspect your surroundings for trees and any other obstacles and make sure to set the RTH altitude correctly. you don't want your drone bumping into anything on the way to the home point. I like the Obstacle sensors but i don't trust them. small branches and thin poles might not be detected.

Honestly though RTH is so slow and no fun I never use it, but glad to have it in case something goes wrong.
You do know that you can speed the aircraft up by pushing pitch forward, hitting around 32mph at full stick. RTH will handle navigating.

I use this technique often when I'm just doing a distance run.

Reactions: Pathogen
It is possible that the compass got screwed up by being near some metal or a magnetic interference. Try doing a compass reset. It only takes 30 seconds to do.
I use RTH often because onlookers are amazed to see the Mavic land hands-off so precisely from where it took off :D

It is possible that the compass got screwed up by being near some metal or a magnetic interference. Try doing a compass reset. It only takes 30 seconds to do.
I use RTH often because onlookers are amazed to see the Mavic land hands-off so precisely from where it took off :D
Usually when one compass gets thrown off you'll get a compass redundancy switch warning, I too like showing off the hands free landing to people they get that look of amazement

When I first got the Mavic, I had trouble getting RTH to work, it was always off by 10 feet or more. Then I did something most red blooded males never ever do, I read the manual. When you take off, you need to hover at about 35 feet for 15 or so seconds so precision RTH gets it's bearings and even takes a picture of where it took off from. After I started doing that, it's been 100% on the money.

When I first got the Mavic, I had trouble getting RTH to work, it was always off by 10 feet or more. Then I did something most red blooded males never ever do, I read the manual. When you take off, you need to hover at about 35 feet for 15 or so seconds so precision RTH gets it's bearings and even takes a picture of where it took off from. After I started doing that, it's been 100% on the money.
When you have precision land selected let it do its thing when it stops ascending then proceed with your fligh, moving it any earlier is gonna cancel out the precision land and only go by the take off GPS coordinates

Reactions: jamesw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78