DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEWBIE TO AIR 2 - have searched through but not finding answers. sorry if stuff has been covered already

bobef

Reactions
Cannot find the Zoom function?

Not all of my media is being stored on my iPad

None of my tracking, POI or trick shots are being recorded. Neither on Ipad or Aircraft - or am I not looking in the right place?

sorry but I cannot see ant related discussions here.

Reactions: 4006448
Also, the zoom is not a true optical zoom — it’s just done in software. You don’t get any extra detail by zooming in.

Reactions: SimonP
Generally. your media comes from the SD card in the drone. There are certain shots that never seem to make it to the device you're using for flying. Those are low resolution proxies anyhow. They should be on the SD card or the drone's internal storage depending on what you have set to the app. Make sure your card is the correct speed, you can't really shoot at a high bitrate on a slow card.

Also, the zoom is not a true optical zoom — it’s just done in software. You don’t get any extra detail by zooming in.
You're right that there is no optical zoom. Yet, I think you actually do get more details. Zoom only works in FHD. When you record in FHD at full zoom (4x) you record (just that) 1/4 out of a 4K sensor instead of a complete 4K "downscaled" into FHD.

Maybe someone can explain it better...

Generally. your media comes from the SD card in the drone. There are certain shots that never seem to make it to the device you're using for flying. Those are low resolution proxies anyhow. They should be on the SD card or the drone's internal storage depending on what you have set to the app. Make sure your card is the correct speed, you can't really shoot at a high bitrate on a slow card.

Yes to this. Also, make sure you are actually recording, sometimes we forget to actually start recording.

You're right that there is no optical zoom. Yet, I think you actually do get more details. Zoom only works in FHD. When you record in FHD at full zoom (4x) you record (just that) 1/4 out of a 4K sensor instead of a complete 4K "downscaled" into FHD.

Maybe someone can explain it better...

It is digital zoom, but it can be lossless. The Air 2 actually has a sensor capable of filming in 8k, so you can zoom up to 2X in 4k and not lose details, and up to 8x in 1080p. So while it is not technically an optical zoom, it is much better than a standard digital zoom done on other cameras or in post processing.

It is digital zoom, but it can be lossless. The Air 2 actually has a sensor capable of filming in 8k, so you can zoom up to 2X in 4k and not lose details, and up to 8x in 1080p. So while it is not technically an optical zoom, it is much better than a standard digital zoom done on other cameras or in post processing.
Thank you... lossless... this is what I wanted to say.

Unless something changed as far as I remember I could only zoom on 1080p and only 4x (1/4 out of 4k sensor?). Never knew zoom also works on 4k.... are you sure it does?

Thank you... lossless... this is what I wanted to say.

Unless something changed as far as I remember I could only zoom on 1080p and only 4x (1/4 out of 4k sensor?). Never knew zoom also works on 4k.... are you sure it does?

Don't have my Air 2 anymore to double check but I'm fairly certain the zoom was 2x on 4k, 2x on 2.7k and the 4x on 1080p you mentioned (although in theory they should be able to do 8x on 1080p). Could be I'm not remembering properly I guess wouldn't be the first time...

Reactions: prz3mk0
Cannot find the Zoom function?
Made sure you're not in HDR Mode, you should be in Normal Video mode. Zoom is not available in Photo Mode. On the bottom right part of the screen click on the button to change the resolution, and there are two 4K options: 4K Wide, that has no zoom; 4K Zoom, which has up to 2x zoom. Switch to that and zoom should work. You can also switch to 1080p for 4x zoom.

Not all of my media is being stored on my iPad
Turn off proxies if you don't need them. Then after flying, go into the Album in DJI Fly app, and download all of the footage you need. The media that is being saved to your iPad while you fly is low quality. The good quality footage is on the microSD Card.

None of my tracking, POI or trick shots are being recorded. Neither on Ipad or Aircraft - or am I not looking in the right place?
The drone doesn't record automatically in these modes, Go into Normal Video Mode or HDR Mode, 30FPS, and start recording, then start Spotlight (Active Track, Spotlight, or POI) and it should work. After exiting Spotlight, stop recording to save the video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkanoz86