DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie with RTH question

Etbrown4

Reactions
Almost certainly doing it wrong.

I have 11 satellites and a white icon. I see the app saying something like Home has been established.

Ive tried to press and hold the top left button on the controller and it just proceeds to land just below the current location instead of at home. Also tried a short press followed by a long press on the top left button.

The above tried at height 10' and with the rth return altitude setting at about 50', and couldn't get that set lower.

Think I'm in payload mode.

Ive tried to press and hold the top left button on the controller and it just proceeds to land just below the current location instead of at home. Also tried a short press followed by a long press on the top left button.
How far away was the drone?
RTH works differently at different distances.
The RTH section of the manual is quite detailed and probably explains your issue.
It starts on p12 here:

Ive read that before posting and tried to follow it closely.
The manual says :
"Smart RTH is initiated either by tapping (some icon) in DJI Fly or by pressing and holding the RTH button
on the remote controller."

I couldn't figure out what that icon was or where it is in dji fly, but in the manual it looks like 2 dots?

Trying the secomd option it just lands below the current position.

Ive read that before posting and tried to follow it closely.
There are 2 full pages on RTH in the manual.

You must have missed the part I've made highlighted here here.

RTH Procedure
1. The Home Point is recorded.
2. RTH is triggered.
3. If the altitude is lower than 20 m, the aircraft ascends to the RTH altitude or 20 m, and then adjusts
its orientation. If the altitude is higher than 20 m, the aircraft adjusts its orientation immediately.
4. a. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it ascends to the preset RTH altitude and flies to the Home Point at a speed of 8 m/s.
If the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current altitude.
b. If the aircraft is less than 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it lands
immediately.

5. After reaching the Home Point, the aircraft lands and the motors stop.

Reactions: twickers14
"Smart RTH is initiated either by tapping (some icon) in DJI Fly or by pressing and holding the RTH button
on the remote controller."

I couldn't figure out what that icon was or where it is in dji fly, but in the manual it looks like 2 dots?
The screen icon you're looking for is here:
i-zwN4vXQ-M.jpg

Ok Meta4 you called it. My tests were done maybe 5m away from Home.

Regarding
"If the altitude is lower than 20 m, the aircraft ascends to the RTH altitude or 20 m, and then adjusts orientation." It seems clear that using RTH, even if just testing or practice, you have to always be sure you have 20m clear overhead.
An important reminder. Tks.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Almost certainly doing it wrong.

I have 11 satellites and a white icon. I see the app saying something like Home has been established.

The above tried at height 10' and with the rth return altitude setting at about 50', and couldn't get that set lower.

Think I'm in payload mode.
I sympathize with you, I nearly landed on my house roof when I lost sight of my mini se. I had printed out and read the manual but the important piece about what happens when less than 20m from home is separated from the rest of the rth proceedure by being on the next page so easily missed. DJI also did not include that important information in the warning section (triangle with !)
You live and learn, I'm still learning!

Reactions: bassnbeau
I sympathize with all of this. And, yes, Virginia, I read the manual.

The buttons on the controller for the Mini-1 and Mini-SE just aren't intuitive for me. I mostly use the icons on DJI Fly for these.

The RC-N1 that comes with the Mini-2, however, is different. That just fell naturally into my hands, and everything was where I expected it.

YMMV, but don't feel like a moron (or let anyone else make you feel like a moron) because you find the buttons on the controller to not be intuitive. It does get better the more you use it.

Fly fun, fly safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo