DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

News Program and Possible FAA Violations

sjnovakovich

Reactions
Our local news uses a drone and they are covering the Pennsylvania Farm Show. It's a huge venue drawing thousands of people... something like a state fair indoors and out. Tonight, the drone was flying all around the venue. It takes place at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, and it is within 2 miles of a trauma center heliport. Questions:
1. How did they get permission to fly so close to the heliport (no fly zone)?
2. Even with a part 107, are they still permitted to fly above such a huge crowd?
3. How are they permitted to fly well after sundown on top of my previous two questions?
They are flying after sundown, in a no fly zone, above a crowd.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Our local news uses a drone and they are covering the Pennsylvania Farm Show. It's a huge venue drawing thousands of people... something like a state fair indoors and out. Tonight, the drone was flying all around the venue. It takes place at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, and it is within 2 miles of a trauma center heliport. Questions:
1. How did they get permission to fly so close to the heliport (no fly zone)?
2. Even with a part 107, are they still permitted to fly above such a huge crowd?
3. How are they permitted to fly well after sundown on top of my previous two questions?
They are flying after sundown, in a no fly zone, above a crowd.
Beautiful

I believe what you are looking for are called Waivers. They can be applied for, and I would guess a professional News organization is going by the rules.

See here:
Part 107 Waivers

Reactions: Slim.slamma
1. Probably not a big deal depending on the airspace. It's probably NOT an actual no fly zone.
2. Part 107 certificate holders DO need an FAA waiver/authorization to fly over crowds, and these are not easy to obtain. You would have to show that almost all risk of serious injury could be eliminated and that is almost impossible to do.
3. Again, this requires an operational waiver from the FAA. It is one of the most common waivers granted.

You can see all of the FAA waivers granted HERE. It's public information.

1. Probably not a big deal depending on the airspace. It's probably NOT an actual no fly zone.
2. Part 107 certificate holders DO need an FAA waiver/authorization to fly over crowds, and these are not easy to obtain. You would have to show that almost all risk of serious injury could be eliminated and that is almost impossible to do.
3. Again, this requires an operational waiver from the FAA. It is one of the most common waivers granted.

You can see all of the FAA waivers granted HERE. It's public information.

Thanks very much for the information. I really don't see how they could get the waiver for over the crowd of so many people. After I posted this, they were flying INSIDE the venue over the crowd... no more than 20 feet off the floor.

Thanks very much for the information. I really don't see how they could get the waiver for over the crowd of so many people. After I posted this, they were flying INSIDE the venue over the crowd... no more than 20 feet off the floor.
The FAA does not regulate indoor airspace. What news channel is this? It is probably worth contacting them. I really doubt that they are flying within regulations, and the indoor flight is outright dangerous.

That TV station probably posted that video to its website. A link would be great.

When studying for the 107, there are several questions involving News stations use of drones. The questions typically point to Machoism, invulnerabilityism, and other isms and spasms.

The point of the questions is that even though it's breaking news (as if), it's important to balance the risk and reward.of the footage vs public safety.

Just because a location is within 5 miles of an airport doesn't make it an automatic NFZ. It simply means you probably need to provide notice or get permission.
I say probably because it depends on flight type and airspace classification.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803