DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nexus 7(II) or Ipad mini 4? - CPU Overload Issue

s54chris

Reactions
I'm currently using an Ipad mini 2, but to be frank, getting sick and tired of the CPU overloaded symptom that is significantly hampering its operation with MP, and my flying enjoyment. I have a second gen Nexus 7 that I could use (to steer away from ipad mini and its CPU issue) or I'm willing to obtain an Ipad mini 4 but just very hesitant to do so since I don't want to walk into the CPU issue again. Any suggestions?

Apple fans will tell you to get a Mini 4, but I'm one of those happily running a Nexus 7 (2013) for Mavic flying. It's dedicated to the task, so it's not larded up with a bunch of useless garbage, is rooted with a volume-booting software patch and of course supports all Android shackle-breaking user improvements that aren't possible with Apple platforms.

Try it; I'll bet you like it. Just strip it of social-media, themes, reminders, email, movie players, music players and other nonsense, keep only the tools you need to fly and keep it in airplane mode except for the brief times you need to communicate with the outside world.

Since you already own a Nexus, it'll cost you nothing but some time to see if it meets your needs.

Last edited:
N7 2013 user here as well. While I can say it's great, if you didn't already own it, I wouldn't recommend it since we're talking about a 4 year old tablet now. But again -- it works great! Also, it will freeze, but that's an Android thing with DJI's sdk, because it crashes for me on both Go4 and Litchi.

I can tell you right now that the tablet def gets pushed near its limits, but doesn't usually reach them. However, if you try to say, stream to YouTube, it starts to bog down.

I'm running SimpleNexus 6.0.1 on mine, with ElementalX kernel.

Nexus 7 is on the DJI recommended list, it runs the stripped down apps well enough.
Bloated official app versions you might need to turn off video caching.
Make sure the cable is top quality.

I have a Mavic and brand new Mini IPad 4 when it's hot outside my iPad overheats and I get CPU warnings and jerky live video feed. It's very annoying if I keep the IPad cool no issue at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard