DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ Message in DJI app.. Called airport and no answer..

BrandinB

Reactions
I recently received my Part 107 Certification (still have temporary), so this is my first time flying this close to an airport. The blue point (picture below) is about where I was located at when I took off today. I have permission from a business owner to take off on their property, as well as calling the city to speak with someone about any drone restrictions the city has that I am not aware of (they said there wasn't). I attempted to call twice to notify the airport, but got no answer.

Do I have to notify the airport? I understand that Class E airspace doesn't start until 700 feet inside the magenta, but I was wondering about situations like this where I get no answer. LAANC is not available here, so I wasn't sure what to do when I got a NFZ message on my controller. I opened the DJI app and it stopped me from taking off, but it did let me verify my phone number and agree to take responsibility for the flight. After doing so, I was able to take off with no issues. I was a little weary after getting the message, so I only went straight up to take some pictures and didn't fly in any direction. Was the NFZ a glitch in the APP, or is there something I'm missing? Any help is appreciated!

You are right to say that class E starts at 700', which means that you were in class G airspace.

No, there is no need to call this type of airport.

I don't know why DJI has it as a NFZ, it remains a bit of a mystery to me how they select a class G airport to be in one, while others are free and clear, however it isn't unusual and it is not a glitch.

Jumping thru the hoops by verifying your phone number or taking responsibility for the flight is, as a result, a normal occurrence.

Bottom line, you did nothing wrong, and you are not restricted to only go vertically.

Hope this helps!...:)

You are right to say that class E starts at 700', which means that you were in class G airspace.

No, there is no need to call this type of airport.

I don't know why DJI has it as a NFZ, it remains a bit of a mystery to me how they select a class G airport to be in one, while others are free and clear, however it isn't unusual and it is not a glitch.

Jumping thru the hoops by verifying your phone number or taking responsibility for the flight is, as a result, a normal occurrence.

Bottom line, you did nothing wrong, and you are not restricted to only go vertically.

Hope this helps!...:)
Great, this helps. Thanks for the confirmation!

You don't have to call the airports anymore. All authorizations are being done via LAANC. If the airport in question is not participating in LAANC, you need to request authorization from the FAA in writing.

I recently received my Part 107 Certification (still have temporary), so this is my first time flying this close to an airport. The blue point (picture below) is about where I was located at when I took off today. I have permission from a business owner to take off on their property, as well as calling the city to speak with someone about any drone restrictions the city has that I am not aware of (they said there wasn't). I attempted to call twice to notify the airport, but got no answer.

Do I have to notify the airport? I understand that Class E airspace doesn't start until 700 feet inside the magenta, but I was wondering about situations like this where I get no answer. LAANC is not available here, so I wasn't sure what to do when I got a NFZ message on my controller. I opened the DJI app and it stopped me from taking off, but it did let me verify my phone number and agree to take responsibility for the flight. After doing so, I was able to take off with no issues. I was a little weary after getting the message, so I only went straight up to take some pictures and didn't fly in any direction. Was the NFZ a glitch in the APP, or is there something I'm missing? Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 78622

Firstly, that's not an NFZ, it's just a DJI warning/authorization zone because you are on the extended centerline of a runway. Secondly it's Class G airspace, so flight is permitted under FAA regulations, LAANC doesn't apply, and all you need to do is self-unlock by acknowledging in the DJI GO 4 app. Thirdly, Part 107 operators have never been required to call airports, and now recreational operators don't do that either.

Use AirMap to log your flight. It passes information to the ATC center responsible for that airport.
As all have said you’re in G airspace and good to fly either way.

You don't have to call the airports anymore. All authorizations are being done via LAANC. If the airport in question is not participating in LAANC, you need to request authorization from the FAA in writing.
Since he's a 107 pilot, he can also request authorization through the FAA Drone Zone for airports that don't have LAANC yet.

Which airport were you discussing?
Airports that do not have LAANC, no specific one.

He stated you have to request in writing. I added that a 107 pilot can also request for airspace authorizations via the drone zone website.

Wasn't trying to confuse anyone, just clarify requests can also be done online.

Reactions: sar104
Airports that do not have LAANC, no specific one.

He stated you have to request in writing. I added that a 107 pilot can also request for airspace authorizations via the drone zone website.

Wasn't trying to confuse anyone, just clarify requests can also be done online.

Okay - I see the point you were making. Just a slightly confusing thread.

Like most 107 threads ... they seem to all end up confusing! ?

It's generally people just trying to be helpful but then mixing up recreational and Part 107. In this case I just didn't read the separate conversations carefully enough.

My wide area airspace authorization for Washington Dulles class B took less than two weeks and is valid for 6 months.
You were lucky ... my small class c auth in Maine took almost 4 months before LAANC! Love the way it works now for sure.

According to the FAA webinar about the then upcoming availability of LAANC for hobbyists, they too can use dronezone when in controlled airspace where LAANC is not available.
The FAA facilities map makes it easier to tell what's controlled, what our ceiling is, and if LAANC is available: green - yes, red - no.
Now how do we contest the ridiculous zero ceiling more than 3 miles from the runway, where power lines would pose more of a problem below 120ft?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661