DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ: Need Clarifications

so Hover is pulling data from a different source than FAA's official app? As is DJI?
I'm used to using the source from AirMap which also shows temporary flight bans...but it completely ignores a regional airport in my area (in Canada)
I guess I'll rely mainly on FAA's B4UF when I'm Stateside as that's the authoritative data.

I personally don't rely on any of the "drone apps" although I have most of them on my phone. If flying in a new area, I will make sure that I have the most recent Terminal Area or Sectional chart. None of the apps actually correctly depict airspace classifications, so they don't to much for the Part 107 operator (hobbyist, commercial, and public operators). And for the Part 101 operator (hobbyist only), no contact information is provided for the identified airports in B4UFly. We all should probably carry a chart supplement for our areas as well!

Wow, maybe resubmit? I've never tried to add sections of roads, but name changes, pin inaccuracies, and navigation improvements seem to be done quickly.

I have resubmitted, still nothing done. It doesnt affect me riding through, I know the road continues, but it is just one of those things that I have to consider each and every time I head east from my house on a programmed route I create for a ride.

I personally don't rely on any of the "drone apps" although I have most of them on my phone. If flying in a new area, I will make sure that I have the most recent Terminal Area or Sectional chart. None of the apps actually correctly depict airspace classifications, so they don't to much for the Part 107 operator (hobbyist, commercial, and public operators). And for the Part 101 operator (hobbyist only), no contact information is provided for the identified airports in B4UFly. We all should probably carry a chart supplement for our areas as well!

Yeah I'm not going to contact the closest tower each time I'm flying. Checking B4UF and DJI's map is more than doing the due dilligence. If I'm going to spend lots of prep time before I fly recreationally, it defeats the purpose of a Mavic....portable & easy.

Yeah I'm not going to contact the closest tower each time I'm flying. Checking B4UF and DJI's map is more than doing the due dilligence. If I'm going to spend lots of prep time before I fly recreationally, it defeats the purpose of a Mavic....portable & easy.

You really need to do more to meet your due diligence before flying your drone. If you don't and you violate controlled or restricted airspace you are putting our hobby (and a new livelihood for some of us) in danger of facing even more restrictions. If you are only flying for fun, join the Academy of Model Aeronautics and a local club with an established flying site and you'll be all set and no "prep time" is needed besides making sure your drone is ready to go! Otherwise you need to check out your proposed flight area very carefully.

The DJI (and other company) no fly zones are defined by them primarily to protect their reputation, not to meet the FAA or any other aviation authority's specific requirements. No company wants to be in the news for being the first one to hit an aircraft or landing on the White House Lawn (oops...too late DJI). None of these apps, including the FAA's B4UFly include any local restrictions (state or county for example) so you have to find out about those on your own.

if a manned aircraft is flying noticably below 500ft AGL...that's on them. I'm going to start reporting helicopters/props planes flying 300ish ft outside of helipads/airstrips etc. Guess who's going to be blamed by the media if something happens? The operator with no official license. Not the aircraft pilot with hundreds/thousands of hours under his/her belt.

if a manned aircraft is flying noticably below 500ft AGL...that's on them. I'm going to start reporting helicopters/props planes flying 300ish ft outside of helipads/airstrips etc. Guess who's going to be blamed by the media if something happens? The operator with no official license. Not the aircraft pilot with hundreds/thousands of hours under his/her belt.

I tend to keep my Phantom at the 5'-40' range, but in my area the darn heli's fly JUST above the gosh **** telephone lines! I wish I was joking, but I have seen them, many of times, hovering over areas 5'-15' over and doing search patterns as they waited for clearance to land (3-4m away). I guess.

I have no idea what their "rules" are, but the pilots around here frequently seem to think they are drone pilots... At one point, I got so fed up that I broke out the 300m and took photos of the tails, but I figured it was a loosing battle.

Oh great, so not only is the Chinese government using me and my drone to collect detailed imagery of the country, but the U.S. Govt Is watching me do it. I am so screwed :eek:

One piece at a time. Maybe some people think that the Forbin Project was a SCIFI movie instead of a documentary? It's only a matter of time before all of the connections are made! AHHHHHHH! <Running for bunker screaming.> :)

Reactions: Butterpuff 6
I tend to keep my Phantom at the 5'-40' range, but in my area the darn heli's fly JUST above the gosh **** telephone lines! I wish I was joking, but I have seen them, many of times, hovering over areas 5'-15' over and doing search patterns as they waited for clearance to land (3-4m away). I guess.

I have no idea what their "rules" are, but the pilots around here frequently seem to think they are drone pilots... At one point, I got so fed up that I broke out the 300m and took photos of the tails, but I figured it was a loosing battle.

If you see an aircraft flying in an unsafe manner, or at an altitude that you think is too low, you should notify the FAA. However, be aware that the rules for helicopters are different than for fixed wing aircraft. Helicopters must fly safely, but are not restricted to the 500' and above rule you hear so much about (after all, that's why we are supposed to stay at 400' and below with our models right?). Here is a link to an FAA pdf file that explains how to make a complaint and includes the applicable rules for minimum altitudes. Notice that helicopters are exempt due to their unique flying characteristics. They still have to fly "safely" but that is a bit subjective.

If you see an aircraft flying in an unsafe manner, or at an altitude that you think is too low, you should notify the FAA. However, be aware that the rules for helicopters are different than for fixed wing aircraft. Helicopters must fly safely, but are not restricted to the 500' and above rule you hear so much about (after all, that's why we are supposed to stay at 400' and below with our models right?). Here is a link to an FAA pdf file that explains how to make a complaint and includes the applicable rules for minimum altitudes. Notice that helicopters are exempt due to their unique flying characteristics. They still have to fly "safely" but that is a bit subjective.
Neither are pipeline patrols or crop dusters. Waivers for fixed wng aircraft to operate below 500' are quire common.

Thank you - interesting read.

When I purchased my Phantom (1) I was always concerned that I went over 400' because I had no way of knowing, but then I picked up a P3A and it was clear to me that I came NOWHERE near 400'. Personally, I do not see why someone would need to go over the restricted limit.. I guess it may open more photo opportunities.

Remember that UAS must give way to manned aircraft under all circumstances, no matter the altitude or conditions.

Personally, I do not see why someone would need to go over the restricted limit.. I guess it may open more photo opportunities.

It can be handy if you're flying along a steepish incline; you might be able to stay below 400 feet above the ground the entire way, but end up flying more than 400 feet above your starting position. Also, if you're a 107 pilot you have a little more leeway about altitude in that you can fly above a structure higher than 400 feet as long as you stay a) within 400 feet of the structure and b) less than 400 feet above it.

But yeah, 400 feet is a long way up. Especially when you're trying to keep an eye on it against a bright blue or white sky...

I've noticed that DJI has designated several airports in Class G airspace as a "blue zone" within a 1/2 mile or so of the airport. Does anyone know if a Mavic (or other DJI product) can fly in the blue zone? If not, can it be unlocked?

Part 107 certified sUAS Remote Pilots can very near airports in Class G as long as they do not interfere with manned aircraft. This is possible because airports in Class G are often not very busy. There are also procedures, such as monitoring the airport Common Traffic Advisory Frequency that can ensure this is done safely. Again, the FAA allows sUAS to operate anywhere in Class G as long as we do not interfere with manned operations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851