DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ - need more details FMI

goixiz

Reactions
This is for my info i am not in a NFZ but came across an article of someone posted.

He was in a NFZ but was able to take off - How is that possible ? (but was unable to return after leaving NFZ)

Q1 - Is certain CLASS NFZ has certain elevation restrictions or all elevations ?
Q2 - if it has certain elevations for certain class what are they ??

Thanks

I can take off in an NFZ (and have, to do a roof inspection on my Dad's house at a threatening height of 30 feet) because I ripped that nonsense out of my Mavic.
I'm not interested in bowing to self-appointed Chicom "drone police".

Reactions: Thwyllo
I can take off in an NFZ (and have, to do a roof inspection on my Dad's house at a threatening height of 30 feet) because I ripped that nonsense out of my Mavic.
you are special - not all of us are special

you are special - not all of us are special

I'm not special, I'm far from special. I use NLD from nolimitdronez and you could too if NFZ is getting in the way of you getting things done.

What drone do you have it installed in? I'm looking around to see if there is anything out there for the Mavic Air.

NFZ is there for a reason (IMHO)

Then why is DJI the only drone company that's appointed itself The Drone Police?
You can buy the newest Parrot or Autel drone with same capabilities and no NFZ whatsoever.

I assume you'll tell yourself "it's there for a reason" the next time you're grounded in a DJI "no-fly zone" for an airport that's been closed for ten years. That's not uncommon - the NFZ database has a LOT of bad data in it.

DJI blocked me from ascending 30 feet to do a roof inspection for my elderly father who can't climb ladders anymore. Does that seem reasonable to you? What's the reason?

So I fixed my Mavic, as have thousands of others. With the Mavic's Goggles on, Dad got a better look at the roof, from more perspectives and angles, than he would have if he had climbed up there.

Last edited:
What drone do you have it installed in? I'm looking around to see if there is anything out there for the Mavic Air.

Mavic Pro. If you go to their website and click on "BirdMap" at the top, there's a chart of which features are currently available for various drones. They are *always* working on adding new features, so although NFZ-removal currently isn't on the Mavic Air list (other changes are possible on the MA), if it's possible it will be, eventually. Those guys are relentless, having overcome many "impossible to evade" restrictions. BTW, many of these guys were the ones who originally figured out how to unshackle the Mavic - they know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Then why is DJI the only drone company that's appointed itself The Drone Police?
You can buy the newest Parrot or Autel drone with same capabilities and no NFZ whatsoever.

Because some people that are afraid of ladders will not pay attention to weather they are in a NFZ or not. DJI is doing us a favor to keep us from earning a $10,000 fine. I support this feature.

Because some people that are afraid of ladders will not pay attention to weather they are in a NFZ or not. DJI is doing us a favor to keep us from earning a $10,000 fine. I support this feature.

So because "some people" aren't as stable, responsible, law-abiding and magnificent as, say, you - everybody needs to be shackled just in case?
That's how police states argue their "right to rule". No thanks.

Laws to safeguard airspace are already in place and presume a free, self-governing citizenry which respects them and the rights of others, while retaining freedom of choice and action. If you want to live in, let's say Singapore where it's been illegal to chew gum because "some people" disposed of it improperly (I'm not kidding; look it up), then you go right ahead. I'll choose liberty, same as my ancestors.

Would you shut down Autel, Parrot, Yuneeq and every other drone company that says "we're not going to do that to our customers"?

So because "some people" aren't as stable, responsible, law-abiding and magnificent as, say, you - everybody needs to be shackled just in case?
That's how police states argue their "right to rule". No thanks.

Laws to safeguard airspace are already in place and presume a free, self-governing citizenry which respects them and the rights of others, while retaining freedom of choice and action. If you want to live in, let's say Singapore where it's been illegal to chew gum because "some people" disposed of it improperly (I'm not kidding; look it up), then you go right ahead. I'll choose liberty, same as my ancestors.

Would you shut down Autel, Parrot, Yuneeq and every other drone company that says "we're not going to do that to our customers"?

You can buy those other drones, so what is the issue? If you want to disregard the rules, you can easily do so to this day in the USA. You can do a bumpstock mod on your assault rifle if you want.
I like that DJI keeps me from making LEGAL mistakes so I dont have to study about an area before I attempt to fly in it. I can see you dont care, so buy the parrot or another that lets you do as you please. Also note, it is the SOFTWARE the imposes these NFZ's, use a different software.
It makes no sense to buy a drone with built in safeguards, then complain about the safe guards that are in the FREE software.

You can buy those other drones, so what is the issue? If you want to disregard the rules, you can easily do so to this day in the USA.

Ok, if that's your preference, fine - that's freedom of choice, the whole point. Others will choose differently. Just remember your argument the next (or first) time DJI Go4 grounds you because of faulty NFZ data. It happens; what do you think kicked off the shackle-smashing last summer to begin with? It wasn't an overwhelming urge to land a Mavic at La Guardia.

Flying in a faulty, non-existent "NFZ" isn't against any rules, but you still won't be able to fly.

Oh, a bit off-topic, you can add a "bump stock" to any semi-auto rifle with your finger and a rubber-band or a belt loop on your pants - time to ban belts?

Last edited:
DJI go isnt the only horse in the game. I will NEVER be grounded by software if I dont want to be. But I DO like that it tells me before I am about to make a mistake. I do not check maps and stuff before I fly (as I am sure you dont).
Dont go on about how DJI is blocking your freedoms. YOU did that to your self when you bought the DJI product and downloaded the offending free software.

I will NEVER be grounded by software if I dont want to be.

If you fly an unmodded DJI product, it's pretty likely that eventually you will be, due to faulty NFZ databases - unless you always fly in the same locations. What about the guy whose immediate area is in a fake NFZ zone due to a mistake in the data? DJI is very slow to correct these errors, if at all, and their "NFZ zones" are usually just dumb circles which don't correspond well to the actual restricted-airspace on the nav charts.

As a matter of fact, I do check maps if in unfamiliar areas for air-traffic routes above 400 feet. As it happens, my house is near the landing final approach of a very-lightly-used private grass strip that's not marked on maps and isn't in DJI's database - the guy's plane is sometimes at or below 400' on final but we can go weeks with no activity at all. I've learned to listen for low-flying traffic in the area and duck down if it seems to be approaching. I've modded my climb/descent rates on the Mavic as well, so it can move a lot faster than stock if necessary. And I've taken my Mavic to over 2,500' in the same location to have a look at the beautiful view as well, exercising caution of course. The 400' "limit" is not a hard-and-fast rule, but it usually provides a safe buffer from manned aircraft which are limited to 500' AGL or higher if not on approach or climbout.

We've beaten this particular thread-offshoot pretty much to death, so unless you or I have something new to offer, let's give it a rest - ok? I think we're in agreement that various hardware/software options are available, so everybody should be happy.

You are correct. I will just add the entire list of true NFZ's make up maybe 2% (?) of the entire continental USA airspace, so is it really that big of a deal?

You are correct. I will just add the entire list of true NFZ's make up maybe 2% (?) of the entire continental USA airspace, so is it really that big of a deal?

Depends on where you live - check the northeast corner of the USA - so many overlapping NFZs it's very difficult to find any clear space at all. I don't, and won't, live there so it's not an issue for me but I sympathize with those who do.

Lots of airports there, but the whole yellow circle is NOT a no fly zone, only the area right next to the airport within the circle is No Fly. Not much red areas that are real NFZ's

Reactions: PT_Mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost