DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nice Wrap on the DJI Police Drone

Not uncommon until the message appears that they arenā€™t at the best angle.

Reactions: Gagey52
As a general rule, does anyone know whether LE pilots are required by their respective agencies to have their part 107ā€™s??

Nice to see the old Mavic Platinum Pro still in service. I love mine!

Mike
Thanks - very good to know. Now I wonder if the federal regs have a provision allowing these 107 pilots to deliberately fly and hover over people. Not that I have any problems with that given their very specific mission and purpose but just wondering about the existence of an exception.

As a general rule, does anyone know whether LE pilots are required by their respective agencies to have their part 107ā€™s??

That depends on the agency and how they are established and how they want to operate. They are NOT required to fly under Part 107 if they are operating under a Public Safety COA. With that being said, most departments (and it's a GREAT idea to do this) will require Part 107 to be the MIN requirement for being part of the UAS team with additional training to be required under the above mentioned COA. In fact, their Part 107 training & testing is usually incorporated into the COA because COA's require annual training etc.

Are they required to have Part 107? No they could be under a PS COA which is hard to get and requires a lot of signatures/approvals from local and state entities.
Should they? I think that would be the smartest way to set the foundation of your COA.

If operating under a PS COA, in some instances they are greatly restricted as to when/how they operate (for instance they can't use their UAS for things like Social Media/Marketing opportunities). Also a COA can give MORE freedom.... with a PS COA they can have Airspace Authorizations built into the COA along with BVLOS exceptions, Flights Over People etc etc.

Thanks - very good to know. Now I wonder if the federal regs have a provision allowing these 107 pilots to deliberately fly and hover over people. Not that I have any problems with that given their very specific mission and purpose but just wondering about the existence of an exception.
They CAN get a waiver but it's not likely the process they will utilize. If operating under a COA they can get that built in but odds are they will most likely just utilize the OOP allowances as they become available.

Qld does require similar to 107 (given CASA not FAA). All drones in Qld Police come under the control of the Chief Pilot (fixed, rotor and UAV). Limited in operational application so far.

Our pilots are required to obtain and maintain 107 licensing. The "operational exceptions" are much like the rule bending that is allowed "in the performance of duties".

The upcoming issue is becoming the whole "Chinese Drone" issue the feds implemented for federally sanctioned operations. That has arrived at the state level now.

That rule bending seems to happen a lot with drone cops. I live on the edge of a 5 mile radius from an airport that is behind a hill. Cops regularly fly what looks like a DJI drone at night all the way to my building which is about 200 feet in the sky. First of all the flight restriction is 100 feet in my quadrant, so they are breaking that rule, secondly there is no way they are maintain VLOS from behind a hill 4.5 miles away, at night no less with tall buildings. Third, they hover over big crowds on the other side of my building where they often throw outdoor events.

That rule bending seems to happen a lot with drone cops. I live on the edge of a 5 mile radius from an airport that is behind a hill. Cops regularly fly what looks like a DJI drone at night all the way to my building which is about 200 feet in the sky. First of all the flight restriction is 100 feet in my quadrant, so they are breaking that rule, secondly there is no way they are maintain VLOS from behind a hill 4.5 miles away, at night no less with tall buildings. Third, they hover over big crowds on the other side of my building where they often throw outdoor events.
I donā€™t mean to sound skeptical but I would love to have a drone that would maintain signal 4.5 miles away behind a hill and tall buildings! That is some serious transmitter power there.

Mike

Before jumping to your ā€˜double standardā€™ conclusion, have you considered that this could be training with FAA approval? So quick to slam law enforcement. By all means, inquire of the department if they have permission and then make a post with that knowledge.

I'd agree LEO'S may stretch the rules at times but I haven't seen it for purposes other than attempting to perform a task that benefits the community. I also see them ignore other drones if not causing disruption in events.

An example, my Wife & I traveled to attend the Kansas City Plaza Lights 2021... an annual event turning on all the holiday lights in the Plaza section on Thanksgiving... if in the area you should visit. This was our 1st time and we'll likely return.. since kids have other holiday plans.

Knowing it would be a heavy crowd filling the streets, I didn't bother taking a small drone to event. We walked down from hotel and it was a major event (very cold too)... about a 6 block length of packed spectator streets. At one end a stage in intersection, with several little events of dancing & music.

Prior to getting dark, I noticed the top of parking ramps with ample spectators... and spotted several drones being "played with".
When it got dark, I noticed a minimum of 6 Matrice (M210 -M300) sized crafts hovering or slowly moving about 200-250 Ft Altitude. They'd occasionally cross the street going over the crowds, but mainly stayed above the buildings overlooking the crowds in street. I chatted with a small LEO K9 Team on street... they did confirm it was their observation drones... I asked if using thermal & cameras and they concured. I asked if an individual could fly a drone or was there a TFR or city ordinance... they stated there was a city ordinance (I don't argue city ordinance... I just respect the intent). I saw 1 Matrice return to location a block off main event for a battery swap... a short walk visually confirmed it was the ground station... and questionable if location provided VLOS with all the structures... maybe, sky view was sufficient.

At the same time, I noticed a minimum of 4-6 drones being home based from parking ramp roofs... running with no lights. Hard to notice unless you saw pass by a light source... they appeared to be M2P sized & shape. A few had the LED landing light active on battery returns. They were flying 80-120 ft above crowds, often flying right down the center of street up to stage event and back to parking ramps. No lights, either turned off or taped (1 looked taped... little light leakage). The loud music and spectator noise allowed them to fly basically silent & unnoticed by the majority of crowd. Occasionally you'd see someone point to one as it flew over.

My point, LEO was there to assist if needed with such a large crowd. They did fly over the main street, I didn't see them linger over crowd. They may not have had VLOS at all times, but they weren't abusing... more positional at times.

There were also helicopters above... I think mainly Media, but a few maybe LEO crafts. I also questioned a few helicopter's positions & altitudes... some hovered positional to the event stage that appeared above crowd and below 600 Ft.

I was mainly intrigued why LEO didn't take any action or have interest to discourage the hobbyist flyers. Actually had a little envious attitude of the beautiful shots they were getting compared to my grounded A7Riii. But I do think they were flying risky and for those that noticed, some will adopt the same activity next year or other event... probably resulting in an incident eventually. I also found it interesting how they all adopted the blackout flying... maybe a few groups all sharing recommended practices. Humorously, If I launched a drone... my luck, that's when a LEO would appear!

I felt the event was well monitored, and I was glad to see they were using Matrice series to help monitor activity... to provide more eyes on activities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448
I donā€™t mean to sound skeptical but I would love to have a drone that would maintain signal 4.5 miles away behind a hill and tall buildings! That is some serious transmitter power there.

Mike
Well the tall buildings I am talking about, one of which I live in is at the edge of that 5 mile radius near the beach. From the building to the airport where I suspect the police drone is coming from is clear air space nothing over 4 stories. Again, I cant confirm it's a police drone but it definitely has some range. No way they had VLOS unless they were on top of the hill I suppose. It's not a mountain, it's a hill with houses.

Your point is well taken, I was kind of surprised at how far that thing seemed to go. Pushing it's range to the limit was my first thought. I just measured on Google Maps, looks like 3.8 miles distance to be exact.

Well the tall buildings I am talking about, one of which I live in is at the edge of that 5 mile radius near the beach. From the building to the airport where I suspect the police drone is coming from is clear air space nothing over 4 stories. Again, I cant confirm it's a police drone but it definitely has some range. No way they had VLOS unless they were on top of the hill I suppose. It's not a mountain, it's a hill with houses.

Your point is well taken, I was kind of surprised at how far that thing seemed to go. Pushing it's range to the limit was my first thought. I just measured on Google Maps, looks like 3.8 miles distance to be exact.
To be honest I think you are making an incorrect assumption about where the drone is being controlled from. Why would the police even have interest in doing what you are saying? Just doesnā€™t seem to add up to me.

Mike

To be honest I think you are making an incorrect assumption about where the drone is being controlled from. Why would the police even have interest in doing what you are saying? Just doesnā€™t seem to add up to me.

Mike
Oh, becuase on the other side of my building is a huge open parking lot facing the ocean used for events like skating trounments, small music events, etc. A drone is one way to monitor them. Police helecopters regurally (almost daily) circile the area I live as some kind of way point or crime scene. From what I read, our police department owns 4 different high end DJI drones they spent something close $20,000 a few years ago. Last year they got called out by the local press for hovering over the BLM protests and could not produce a copy of an FAA approval for hovering over large groups of people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks