DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flight question, just to be sure....

Night flights are only allowed for Part 107 holders
This is only in controlled airspace where LAANC approval is needed. Recreational pilots can fly in uncontrolled airspace at night.

Reactions: Jam0ne
How do you show direction of flight?
Use different colored strobes on the sides of the drone like I mentioned in post #13. You might have to turn the drone slightly to differentiate the directional colors if using white strobes on the front and back, but when I turn a side mounted red or green strobe toward me it is very obvious.

Reactions: MA2 317
Color of lights. Use red green and white add-on markers, or the drone's red and green and flash patterns.

Red -- Green(flash) - drone pointed/moving left
Green(flash)--Red - drone pointed/moving right
Green(flash)-Green(flash) - drone pointed/moving away
Red-Red - drone pointed/moving towards you

Your drone may vary - but it should have a similar light pattern ...

Using colored light. Red on the front, green on the back is standard for drones. If you see two green lights, the drone is headed away. If you see two red light, the drone is headed towards you. If you see one green and one red, the drone is headed in the direction of the red light.

Not "so wrong", so calm down,

Your "attitude" made it seems like it "never has been" , when in fact, it just "changed" in May 2021 per FAA ,
lots of long time flyers aren't even aware of that, just like many aren't even aware that they MUST take the TRUST to fly recreational, no matter their AGE, or size of their drone....

See: Night Flight question, just to be sure....

Your "attitude" made it seems like it "never has been" , when in fact, it just "changed" in May 2021 per FAA ,
lots of long time flyers aren't even aware of that, just like many aren't even aware that they MUST take the TRUST to fly recreational, no matter their AGE, or size of their drone....

Sorry, didn’t realize that you, the “attitude” expert would be involved.
I‘ll move on.

I fly two white strobes on the back legs one white on top a green on the right front leg and red on the left front leg. Flying away from me I see white, flying towards me I see green and red knowing green is on the right I can tell even on an angle my orientation as can other pilots.

Night flights have been open to recreation fliers long before people flying under Part 107 could.

Reactions: Starz
Not wanting to hijack the thread but I'm trying to understand night flights for 107, on the FAA website it says: "The remote pilot in command must complete an updated initial knowledge test or online recurrent training" I passed my 107 test less than 30 days ago, so did I take an updated initial knowledge test? the test and study material I used had info about night operations, but want to make sure there isn't still something I need to do (besides the strobe light on the sUAS, running air 2s so has the red/green lights on the arms) to be able to do some night operations

Thank you!!

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I'm trying to understand night flights for 107, on the FAA website it says: "The remote pilot in command must complete an updated initial knowledge test or online recurrent training" I passed my 107 test less than 30 days ago, so did I take an updated initial knowledge test? the test and study material I used had info about night operations, but want to make sure there isn't still something I need to do (besides the strobe light on the sUAS, running air 2s so has the red/green lights on the arms) to be able to do some night operations

Thank you!!
If you've taken the initial test or recurrent training after 4/6/21, you're good to go. The night ops training are part of both of those.

And the red/green lights on your Air 2s don't satisfy the 3SM test. You'll need something like the Firehouse Technology Arc or ArcIII

Reactions: bubbaedc
If you've taken the initial test or recurrent training after 4/6/21, you're good to go. The night ops training are part of both of those.

And the red/green lights on your Air 2s don't satisfy the 3SM test. You'll need something like the Firehouse Technology Arc or ArcIII
Ahh thank you for letting me know! I thought the lumecube white strobe on top was all I needed! I'll look into those

Yes, Lume Cubes would work too. I didn't realized you had that.

So let me get this straight. Recreational drones don't require a strobe but part 107 do? Does that make sense? Isn't a drone in the sky a drone in the sky, regardless of who is flying it?

So let me get this straight. Recreational drones don't require a strobe but part 107 do? Does that make sense? Isn't a drone in the sky a drone in the sky, regardless of who is flying it?
It's based on current rules, and recreational rules don't currently require them. Expect that to likely change in a few weeks when the Community Based Organization (CBO) rules come out.

Those CBOs are putting the finishing touches on their safety guidelines, and since they are being developed with input from the FAA, 3SM strobes will likely be a requirement.

But we'll see.

Much brighter than the firehouse.
Im Aware of this being an old post. But… I use the very same units you feel are brighter. I think there are none brighter not even considering size. Granted the switch is small but does has a sturdy solid feel. The unit itself pleases me as it’s extremely small AND flat making placement upto your imagination. I use 2” shrink tubing to seal it from water while working around the charging port in witch I have a one time placement magnetic microplug available on Amazon which magnetically mates to the opposing magnetic pole on the wire making charging easy breezy. So far my shrink wrapping and rain flights haven’t disturbed the 5 Cree eye burne. I absolutely love these units and purchased several. Oh and it fits my M2P rear without disturbing the sensor. I put the rear on slow flashing green and is extraordinary for quick orientation because it is NOT directional as my top white strobe which has a domed/convex top for the spread. I’m glad to see the post. Lol. I havnt found better snd I never hear much about them. Fly safe & Godspeed, Droniac

Reactions: thispilothere
Mr. Moss is no 'experienced droner' off the street, he is THE voice of experience in U.S. Drone Law and I would take his word over yours or practically anyone elses on the planet.
I know this thread is old but had to ask: Even the FAA?

I know this thread is old but had to ask: Even the FAA?
Depends on the FAA person. I do have some reach out to me for advice. But for the most part most do know more than me if they work in the UAS Integration Office. But if they're FSDO, it's a really good bet I know more than them. For good reason. FSDO have a TON of things to worry about, not just drones. I only need to worry about drone regs. Which is why they created Drone Pros who work with the FAA's Safety Team at the FSDO level.

Depends on the FAA person. I do have some reach out to me for advice. But for the most part most do know more than me if they work in the UAS Integration Office. But if they're FSDO, it's a really good bet I know more than them. For good reason. FSDO have a TON of things to worry about, not just drones. I only need to worry about drone regs. Which is why they created Drone Pros who work with the FAA's Safety Team at the FSDO level.
Cool! So it's like a job?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan