DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flight question, just to be sure....

ScottsMA2

Reactions
I know there's been some recent discussion of night flights for recreational pilots, and what I've understood is that it can be done if using a 3SM visible strobe. I'm probably wrong on this, but didn't at one time at least, the rules say that you could only fly for 20 minutes after civilian twilight? Did that change at some point, or does it mean that is the case "unless" you have the strobe? Just somehow missed the change if that was the case and was wondering. Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen.

I know there's been some recent discussion of night flights for recreational pilots, and what I've understood is that it can be done if using a 3SM visible strobe. I'm probably wrong on this, but didn't at one time at least, the rules say that you could only fly for 20 minutes after civilian twilight? Did that change at some point, or does it mean that is the case "unless" you have the strobe? Just somehow missed the change if that was the case and was wondering. Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen.
For now all you need for 44809 night flights is lights that show direction and location of drone. That may change with the latest rule about Community Based Organizations. But for now, that's the rule.

Someone who doesn't know the correct answer to a question should not respond with an incorrect answer!

Thanks for the correct answer, Vic
just like you "took" the word of Vic Moss above , i took the word of "experienced droner", that was the answer i got just a few days ago when i thought I could fly with just my strobe added..

It's called learning.

Reactions: Jostro65
No, incorrect. See below.

Why can't i get LAANC Authorization to fly at night from Aloft ( was also denied on Airmap when it was active ) , Rejection states NO FLYING AT NIGHT when i enter Recreational 44809 certificate ?
Aloft Pre-Check Result ( step 3 of 4)
says " LAANC operation at night are not available for recreational operators, ...... blah blah blaahhh "

My confusion about this is I read that pilots that fly their drones for recreational use will just need to make sure enough lighting is available to know the drone’s location and orientation. Does that mean no strobe?

just like you "took" the word of Vic Moss above , i took the word of "experienced droner",
Mr. Moss is no 'experienced droner' off the street, he is THE voice of experience in U.S. Drone Law and I would take his word over yours or practically anyone elses on the planet.

Last edited:
I asked the FAA directly about this. The particular agent I was emailing with was biased that rec flyers should not fly at night (my opinion of his responses). But, it does boil down to the CBO rules you fly under. If night flight is not specifically prohibited by the FAA (it isn't) or your CBO (it isn't by my CBO) the answer is yes, you can fly at night. With limits. You can't fly at night in controlled airspace, period. FAA has a policy that prohibits anyone from giving rec fliers approval to fly at night in Class B, C, and D airspace.

As Vic has stated, rec flyers are not required by the FAA to have anti-collision lights. Just the VLOS lighting. The same is true with my CBO rules. But, there is no prohibition to using a VLOS light that is also useful for anti-collision, either. So I use a red green white tri-color strobe on top that is visible a few miles out, just for grins (and one day I will fly under Part 107).

For now all you need for 44809 night flights is lights that show direction and location of drone. That may change with the latest rule about Community Based Organizations. But for now, that's the rule.
Thanks Vic! Much appreciated. So it seems the "civilian twilight" rule is no more. I always appreciate your knowledge on these subjects.

I fly under AMA. There are several people who fly RC helicopters and fixed wing RC aircraft at night. It's common especially at certain events. As far as I know the rec rules for drones are basically the same for other typical RC aircraft & flights under the recreational rules. With my drone I have red/green strobes on the sides, a white strobe facing slightly forward and down plus one on the rear facing back. I can easily see my drone at 4000' out at night however I usually fly within 2000' of my home point because I feel I have more direction awarness as compared to a mile out. You need to be able to fly the drone without aid of the video screen or controller stats so my red and green strobes make a big difference in helping me navigate in the dark. IMO there is no reason for me to risk long range flights at night.

Reactions: eEridani
Why can't i get LAANC Authorization to fly at night from Aloft ( was also denied on Airmap when it was active ) , Rejection states NO FLYING AT NIGHT when i enter Recreational 44809 certificate ?
Aloft Pre-Check Result ( step 3 of 4)
says " LAANC operation at night are not available for recreational operators, ...... blah blah blaahhh "
Because you either haven't tried Aloft lately, haven't updated your app, or are trying to get permission outside of a UASFM grid limit.

Aloft was literally the first LAANC app that had that ability. I believe that option when live either last month or just at the beginning of this month. It's rare I fly recreationally is controlled airspace, so I'm not 100% sure on the date.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokenAero
Thanks Vic! Much appreciated. So it seems the "civilian twilight" rule is no more. I always appreciate your knowledge on these subjects.
Yeah, that's pretty much gone by the wayside.

Mr. Moss is no 'experienced droner' off the street, he is THE voice of experience in U.S. Drone Law and I would take his word over yours or practically anyone elses on the planet.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm certainly not perfect, but I think I have a pretty good grasp on things FAA-UAS related. ?

I don't really blame @Jam0ne for questioning my answer either. It would be grand folly for me to think everyone in this community knows who I am. He's smart to question the answer of someone he doesn't know. I don't blame him at all.

My confusion about this is I read that pilots that fly their drones for recreational use will just need to make sure enough lighting is available to know the drone’s location and orientation. Does that mean no strobe?
OEM strobes on the vast majority of over the counter drones are fine for this. All DJI are fine. For recreational.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998