DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

night lights?

GatorsUF

Reactions
I flew my drone last night to capture a shot of some fireworks, I was disappointed in the amount of lighting the drone gave off. The only lights working on it most of the flight where the green lights that flashed every few seconds.

Is there a way to turn on the red and green lights so they stay on the whole flight? That way I can track it better at night....

I remember my spark being much easier to see at night.

I flew my drone last night to capture a shot of some fireworks, I was disappointed in the amount of lighting the drone gave off. The only lights working on it most of the flight where the green lights that flashed every few seconds.

Is there a way to turn on the red and green lights so they stay on the whole flight? That way I can track it better at night....

Were you flying with a daytime waiver?

Did you have anti-collision lights running?

Yes and no, I'm asking about lights because I don't have any external lights. Is there a setting in missing to turn on more lights at night?

It sounds like you may have flown... Ahem, not like the FAA would want you to....

First, if you are part 107, flying at night is out of the question, unless you ask for a blessing.
We will assume that it isn't your case, or you would know that the lights that comes with drones are not enough to meet the night lights requirements already...

So, since we will assume that you are a hobbyist, here is what the FAA wants us to do:
"No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system during periods of civil twilight unless the small unmanned aircraft has lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least 3 statute miles."
This is for your safety, and the safety of others.

Thankfully, there is a whole market for this, which meet this requirement:

- Lumecube just came out with a strobe. Strobe - Anti-Collision Lighting for Drones
- Check Strobon at Amazon.com: White Flytron Strobon Cree by Strobe Light for Drones DJI Mavic Phantom Inspire 1 2 Matrice Spark Drones FAA 107 …: Home Improvement

This is only 2 of dozen types.
Good luck in your search, and thank you for being compliant.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-Sw1ft and Amarand

I flew on the 4th, fireworks, using the same setting as I do in the daylight, default setting. my video looks great.

I put a single lume cube on my pro (balanced, using Instax 360 mount). It made the motors run quite hot, and power use was between 40 & 50,%, compared to 35-40 usually.
The kits have 2 cubes. Is it safe for the drone to carry such lights, or will this damage the drone long term?
Are any of the add on lights OK for the drone due to weight?

I know a couple of guys using the cube. some like it and some do not. as far as i know, no one has comment on the cubes causing any damage to their drones.

the only complain that I have heard that the cubes are not as bright as they are advertised.

I am using the firehouse strobe lights.

Reactions: Sully53
So many people just assume everybody is talking about the FAA/US of A.

There’s a whole big world out there beside the US - the OP gives no indication what country he is talking about so night flying could be perfectly legal where he resides.

Reactions: Damomerlin
I put a single lume cube on my pro (balanced, using Instax 360 mount). It made the motors run quite hot, and power use was between 40 & 50,%, compared to 35-40 usually.
The kits have 2 cubes. Is it safe for the drone to carry such lights, or will this damage the drone long term?
Are any of the add on lights OK for the drone due to weight?
Strobon lights are very light and probably would not affect flight much. They are clearly not as visible and large as the Cubes.

Strobon lights are very light and probably would not affect flight much. They are clearly not as visible and large as the Cubes.
Strobon is not as bright or visible as the ARC2s.. test videos on their website and this forum

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miniguy2mavic