DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night navigation lights

Hayds

Reactions
So I would just like to hear people's thoughts on this subject I've managed to equip my air with a full set of navigation lights that doesn't seem to hinder the performance of the aircraft, what solutions other's come up with??

Attachments

• 20200311_224050_2_1.gif
    20200311_224050_2_1.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 71
So I would just like to hear people's thoughts on this subject I've managed to equip my air with a full set of navigation lights that doesn't seem to hinder the performance of the aircraft, what solutions other's come up with??

I have Firehouse ARC 2 strobes (4 LED) on my Mavic Air, attached with 3M Dual-Lock low profile tape. Currently, I have white and red. My objective is to make it easy to spot in the sky, and not to follow any color guidelines, as you would have on a manned aircraft - red on left front, green on right front, etc. I mount red and white strobes side by side, onto the bottom of the battery (facing down). This scheme gives lower hemisphere coverage, essentially unobstructed. If you want upper hemisphere coverage, put one on top, also. I consider lower coverage more important, because it makes it easier to see from the ground. The fact is that it's more productive for you to stay away from obstacles of any kind, than it is for them to stay away from you.

Wherever you mount them, having multiple strobes flashing out of sync decreases the time between flashes. Also, these lights have three modes: ON, FLASH, STROBE. Consider setting one or more lights to FLASH, which will produce a longer burst of light than STROBE, though it will drain the battery faster (though as a practical matter, you should still be able to get several flights in before a recharge is needed).

There are some mounts that snap on to the arms and into which you put your strobe. They have their good points, but there are some issues to be aware of. Although they provide minimal blockage, the fact is that nothing provides as much coverage as a bare strobe attached to a flat surface. Also, attaching these mounts may make it impossible to attach anything to the arms, such as prop guards, landing skid extensions, etc.

I have Firehouse ARC 2 strobes (4 LED) on my Mavic Air, attached with 3M Dual-Lock low profile tape. Currently, I have white and red. My objective is to make it easy to spot in the sky, and not to follow any color guidelines, as you would have on a manned aircraft - red on left front, green on right front, etc. I mount red and white strobes side by side, onto the bottom of the battery (facing down). This scheme gives lower hemisphere coverage, essentially unobstructed. If you want upper hemisphere coverage, put one on top, also. I consider lower coverage more important, because it makes it easier to see from the ground. The fact is that it's more productive for you to stay away from obstacles of any kind, than it is for them to stay away from you.

Wherever you mount them, having multiple strobes flashing out of sync decreases the time between flashes. Also, these lights have three modes: ON, FLASH, STROBE. Consider setting one or more lights to FLASH, which will produce a longer burst of light than STROBE, though it will drain the battery faster (though as a practical matter, you should still be able to get several flights in before a recharge is needed).

There are some mounts that snap on to the arms and into which you put your strobe. They have their good points, but there are some issues to be aware of. Although they provide minimal blockage, the fact is that nothing provides as much coverage as a bare strobe attached to a flat surface. Also, attaching these mounts may make it impossible to attach anything to the arms, such as prop guards, landing skid extensions, etc.
I'm curious, how are the strobes powered? Do they somehow connect into the drone's battery or a self contained battery/battery pack?

However,
Mike at Phatomhelp helped me big style I ordered the dual strobes from FHT and sent them to him. He sending my strobes with a 3D printed mounting system..Great service from both.
reason I went for duals ..more enough light for what I need and only 26 grams for all 4 as opposed to 44 for the bigger lights.
but now that I remember your original question self contained battery in each strobe pack recharge using USB
Depending on mode about 2 hours endurance

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
However,
Mike at Phatomhelp helped me big style I ordered the dual strobes from FHT and sent them to him. He sending my strobes with a 3D printed mounting system..Great service from both.
reason I went for duals ..more enough light for what I need and only 26 grams for all 4 as opposed to 44 for the bigger lights.
but now that I remember your original question self contained battery in each strobe pack recharge using USB
Depending on mode about 2 hours endurance
Thank you! I'm gonna have to take a look at these!

I'm curious, how are the strobes powered? Do they somehow connect into the drone's battery or a self contained battery/battery pack?
Self contained battery that charges via microUSB. That's one of the beauties of this solution - no wiring to connect.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911