DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night time flying

wvueagle

Reactions
Looking for recommendations for any mods that need to happen or recommendations for night time flying. Any areas I’d be flying st night would be well known based on day time flying and all for fun (recreational flying however did register drone)

I had problems with the Strobon brand. There are other options out there with dual and quad strobe lights on them that are easier to see.

I had the same question about strobes ruining videos and/or photos. So far my strobe seems to have no effect on videos - except for when I'm quite close to something that reflects light - like the ground when I land. The strobe mounted to my Mavic Pro has four powerful lights, rechargeable by USB. Great for night flights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078QBMSVX/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_pd_te_o_mr_ti?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078QBMSVX&pd_rd_r=1ADV6M67755H8MN2006M&pd_rd_w=J6t7s&pd_rd_wg=uhviA

Reactions: JDawg
FAA requires that the drone lights be visible from at least 3 miles away. Try the Firehouse ARC2 strobe lights. they tend to be the best strobe.
Here is a critque of the three popular brands:
You can see them and other type strobes mounted on Mavic Air on these two web sites. You can buy mounts or you can just just the provided adhesive tape to mount the strobe.

I have one on my drone also during the day. They make it easier to see at a distance.

Reactions: Flogwood 422
I had problems with the Strobon brand. There are other options out there with dual and quad strobe lights on them that are easier to see.
More info on the problem you had with the STROBON please. I have not seen an issue yet and would like to be prepared.

Reactions: JDawg
FAA requires that the drone lights be visible from at least 3 miles away. Try the Firehouse ARC2 strobe lights. they tend to be the best strobe.

I have the Arc2 white strobe I use on my Typhoon during Civil Twilight flight. It’s extremely bright....don’t look at it turning it on or off.

The biggest problem was that one stopped working after 8 months of very light use (it had perhaps 15 flights) and I could get no help replacing it. I was told that I could send it back to the manufacturer, and they were willing to help but they are in England and it was $14 postage to get it there. I can replace it for slightly more. They were also not as bright as the Firehouse.

I have found no interference with video with the Firehouse and they are BRIGHT.

The biggest problem was that one stopped working after 8 months of very light use (it had perhaps 15 flights) and I could get no help replacing it. I was told that I could send it back to the manufacturer, and they were willing to help but they are in England and it was $14 postage to get it there. I can replace it for slightly more. They were also not as bright as the Firehouse.

I have found no interference with video with the Firehouse and they are BRIGHT.
i guess if it's placed in the rear.

I think some hair’s are being split here. As for brightness, the difference between these lights is slight. Certainly if you have four leds, more light will be evident, as seen in the above video. Now throw in the thought that the
“FAA” requires a “three mile” visibility to the mix. How many people flying drones at night are out three miles. At ranges less than a mile, the single strobe works at a reasonable cost. As to the lifespan of that product, I’ve had around a dozen of them for more than two years with no failures.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming