DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Time USA

I liked it. My natural question would be, how did you have the cajones to fly where you probably could not see the drone? Did you get it back by RTH? I would have been freaked out about losing my drone in the dark. I would have flown straight up and then straight down, or have a coronary.

Reactions: bronze661
I liked it. My natural question would be, how did you have the cajones to fly where you probably could not see the drone? Did you get it back by RTH? I would have been freaked out about losing my drone in the dark. I would have flown straight up and then straight down, or have a coronary.

If you're not flying at night, you're missing some great imagery.

You certainly need to have a different mind set when flying at night, but believe it or not, it's easier to see at night. You also have all of your telemetry on your controller, so you know exactly where your drone is.

Take it slow and increase your distance. Make sure you have scouted your area for power lines, trees, and other obstacles. Even though anti-collision lights aren't required for hobbyists, it's a good idea. Firehouse Technology has a great one called "Spark". (best drone strobe light)

But do learn to safely fly at night, it will open up a whole new world.

Reactions: CraigObe
If you're not flying at night, you're missing some great imagery.

You certainly need to have a different mind set when flying at night, but believe it or not, it's easier to see at night. You also have all of your telemetry on your controller, so you know exactly where your drone is.

Take it slow and increase your distance. Make sure you have scouted your area for power lines, trees, and other obstacles. Even though anti-collision lights aren't required for hobbyists, it's a good idea. Firehouse Technology has a great one called "Spark". (best drone strobe light)

But do learn to safely fly at night, it will open up a whole new world.
You do not have to convince e me of the great imagery of night flying. I drool with jealousy every time I see one of these night videos. I do have the Firehouse Technology arc lights and I use them all the time. My baby (Mavic 2) is now on its way to DJI Texas for gimbal repair (UPS says it gets there tomorrow). As soon as I get it back I'll try a straight up, straight down flight at 100fet above my head in my driveway, and then start from there.

Reactions: Vic Moss
I would have rotated the gimbal to a more downward position, so that the sky did not occupy half of the view. That caused the lower part of the picture, the interesting part, to be be underexposed. It you aim it so the sky is just a small part of the scene, the ground part will have much more detail.

I would have rotated the gimbal to a more downward position, so that the sky did not occupy half of the view. That caused the lower part of the picture, the interesting part, to be be underexposed. It you aim it so the sky is just a small part of the scene, the ground part will have much more detail.
Exactly. I have been harping on this with allow videos submitted on this forum, if you may have noticed.

That can also be fixed two different ways. If someone doesn't understand how to take their drone off of automatic, they can change the EV. Or, the better way is to learn how to read a histogram and keep your drone in manual exposure.

That can also be fixed two different ways. If someone doesn't understand how to take their drone off of automatic, they can change the EV. Or, the better way is to learn how to read a histogram and keep your drone in manual exposure.
Those methods are absolutely correct, however, my suggestion is easy, it works very well, and the composition is much improved by not having half of the picture being a bright blank sky.

There is actually a third or even a 4th way! Firstly, shoot in RAW to allow development of more detail in the dark areas in post production. Also, graduated filter can open cup darker areas in foreground.

There is actually a third or even a 4th way! Firstly, shoot in RAW to allow development of more detail in the dark areas in post production. Also, graduated filter can open cup darker areas in foreground.
Also correct, but way more complicated, and it doesn't address the composition issue.

Not that this is the case, but maybe everything you see is the intention of the artist. It's the viewer's perspective that is not up to some sort of PAR. If the artist wanted you to focus on the ground more, they might have shot raw, or made other changes in post and focused your attention to the ground. Could just be that simple. I think it's pretty darn cool. Helpful tips from all of you as well. Happy flying!

• Love
Those methods are absolutely correct, however, my suggestion is easy, it works very well, and the composition is much improved by not having half of the picture being a bright blank sky.
I agree. Further zip up quick and check out your scene without recording. Change any settings or angle of the gimbal (make a degree note if you want a different position while ascending), then land and start recording your flight from the deck. I say this because many people like to record from take off. This way, with a quick 30 second dry run; you can make necessary corrections and adjustments and look like a pro with the finished product.

Reactions: bronze661 and W2EJ
RAW is for still photos only and would be DNG on DJI. D-LOG would be the video equivalent, which is only available on a few of the DJI cameras. Graduated filter works well for both stills and video, to lower the dynamic range of the scene, which always benefits the small sensors used on our drones.

I would have rotated the gimbal to a more downward position, so that the sky did not occupy half of the view. That caused the lower part of the picture, the interesting part, to be be underexposed. It you aim it so the sky is just a small part of the scene, the ground part will have much more Think again...... try.

For fun, no monetary thing going on here.

A Litchi mission is different, especially when you are 2.5 miles away with no gimbal control when you lose signal. Even from the hub.

Litchi control. no gimbal control from 2.5 miles from home. Do you know Litchi?

I agree. Further zip up quick and check out your scene without recording. Change any settings or angle of the gimbal (make a degree note if you want a different position while ascending), then land and start recording your flight from the deck. I say this because many people like to record from take off. This way, with a quick 30 second dry run; you can make necessary corrections and adjustments and look like a pro with the finished product.
Not trying to be a pro, just what a simple man can do.

Does
I liked it. My natural question would be, how did you have the cajones to fly where you probably could not see the drone? Did you get it back by RTH? I would have been freaked out about losing my drone in the dark. I would have flown straight up and then straight down, or have a coro
I trust Litchi.

i trust Litchi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa