DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nits

Can't argue with that (although not sure about the store comparison, I think that is just brand envy by DJI). As said above the restricted nature of the Apple system makes testing a whole lot easier.

But "most" Android devices work fine with DJI products, I have never had any trouble with mine. No question that there is more trouble with Android compatibility and some people can't get it to work with their particular devices.

I can't agree that you have to buy an Apple device to update the drone though as that is plainly not the case.
I agree you do not have to buy apple devices to fly they just work a lot better- My reference to the store looking like apple is not dji envy- The two companies have joint ventures together-Hence that is why you can walk into an apple store and by a dji drone- Happy flying!

Not sure why you are yelling at us about it. Alls we are saying is it is not everyone and not every Android device. It certainly works fine for the majority of people otherwise DJI would be out of business because < 44% of the people use iOS devices.
I'm not yelling at anyone, but I also dont appreciate being told I'm wrong when I did experience the problem and was told by dji.

Reactions: Red Baron
I think he was saying the Smart Controller could not be used to update the firmware in the drone. I am not sure whether it should be able to or not.

And to "unsub", I'm sorry DJI told you something wrong, and that you couldn't get your Android device to work, and maybe they do have some tie in to help Apple sell more devices... BUT it's definitely not the case for Android devices in general.

IMHO, I've owned Apple iphones, ipads, Samsung Galaxy phones and Galaxy Tablets. In fact almost every model of each since they first came out. After having done both my feelings are that IOS is more stable and reliable than Android. Apple phones are built better than the Samsung line. Android apps crash more than Apple apps and I've also read several people having issues with the S8 and DJI apps such as crashing in the middle of a flight. Nits are not such importance as reliability of the app and the phone, I can always use a sunshade or stand in a shady spot when I'm flying. My choice is the iPad Mini 4 when it comes to FPV and my Mavic Pro flying. I trust Apple and DJI more then Samsung and Android OS. I think the decision of DJI to promote Apple might just be a more rewarding sponsorship or the fact that their app doesn't crash as much. I was an Android fanatic when it first came out because I could install third party software much easier than on an Apple phone. Nowadays that doesn't seem to be important anymore as it was 10 years ago. I see recently that DJI is also interested in partnering with MicroSoft so who knows where that is going to go? So again IMHO, Apple is considered a "premiere" device with "stable & secure" software, Samsung maybe not as much (especially with the huge problems with the folding phone) and the fact that Android doesn't have the rock-solid app reliability as IOS does. The AppStore apps are heavily checked for viruses and hacks, the Play Store not so much...

Don't get me wrong I'm not an apple fan at all But- Simply put apple products work better with DJI products period! If you have ever walked into a DJI store it looks just like an apple store? There is a reason for that.

I keep reading this, but nobody seems to be able to provide any objective evidence for the claim beyond the odd unsubstantiated personal account. DJI themselves uses Android on their own products rather than their own proprietary OS or otherwise. That little "Made for iOS" logo on the back of the DJI box is just a certification they pay for, not something that is telling you they work better on iOS. One of the largest automotive manufactures, VW/Audi, uses Android exclusively to underpin their vehicle's infotainment systems, where speed and reliability are absolutely critical 100% of the time. Certainly it helps that it is customizable as well.

I fly with both iOS and Android (both smartphone and Smart Controller) and anecdotally speaking, I have only ever had issues with my iOS devices so far (knock on wood).

Almost every complaint I see involving DJI and Android is from people trying to use a $100 (or otherwise inadequate) Android tablet or cheap Android phone and then comparing it to a $800 iPad or iPhone. With equivalent hardware, any meaningful differences disappear. It's also easier to do things like switch between FCC and CE mode on Android devices.

At the end of the day, both are perfectly fine provided you are using roughly equivalent hardware. I've used Android and Apple side-by-side for over a decade (both for work and personal purposes), and owned literally dozens of their phones/tablets. Currently the only device in my possession that I have regular issues with glitches and crashing apps is my $1200 iPad Pro 11". Overall though it's still quite good and I'd buy it again.

The AppStore apps are heavily checked for viruses and hacks, the Play Store not so much...

This is not true, just FYI :) There are dedicated tools built into the Google Play Store. Both Apple and Google are regularly removing malicious apps from their respective App Stores, and they are usually not mainstream apps that the average person would ever come across anyway. Security patches are released monthly.

At any rate, viruses on all popular mobile devices these days are virtually non-existent if you are going though the normal channels to download apps and perform the manufacturer released security updates.

I have never owned an Apple product and never will. Dont like their tax dodging business ethics for a start. They do all they can to not psy tax in Australia.

Never had a problem using Android and microsoft products with my Mavic and love the bright screen on my Samsung S8.

I have always been confused as to why dji leans toward apple products.
Do they?
I can't see any evidence to support this at all.
The internet is full of like issues, even from this forum group, so with all these people having the same issue and dji themselves telling me. Then I must be lying.
The internet (and forums like this) are full of unsubstantiated myths but that doesn't make them true.
Simply put apple products work better with DJI products period!
Simply put, there's no truth to that at all.
I agree you do not have to buy apple devices to fly they just work a lot better.
Again, that's just not true.
DJI Go 4 runs perfectly on a device with a fast enough processor and enough RAM.
It doesn't matter if it's Apple or Android.

I used a cheap Motorola for a long time never had any problems with updates or anything else for that matter

I think all of the DJI boxes state Made for iPhone

I had never owned an Apple product until I had had enough frustration with Android working the DJI GO apps. My wife lent me her iphone 6, and the difference was remarkable. Now, I have a mini 4 and I'm considering upgrading to the mini 5.

I think all of the DJI boxes state Made for iPhone

I had never owned an Apple product until I had had enough frustration with Android working the DJI GO apps. My wife lent me her iphone 6, and the difference was remarkable. Now, I have a mini 4 and I'm considering upgrading to the mini 5.
As a Mac/Apple owner since 1977 and having owned every model of iPhone issued, I assure you this label is granted by Apple to devices that are programmed to work, albeit not exclusively, with the iPhone.
My guess on the Android thing is that every manufacturer can customize it to individual devices leading to multiple versions and frustration of more of the users than Apple, whose programming is a relatively closed ecosystem. No judgement intended, to each his/her own.
Anyway, glad you found a device that works as you desire! Fly on!!!

I use an Honor 9 (on the DJI Go 4 approved Android device list) without any issues. I update firmwares for controller and MA no problem.
I understand that DJI are in some sort of parntership with Apple which could mean having to wait longer for updates on Android phones, but I can't imagine they'll stop supporting Android because there are far too many pilots out there using Android and who don't want an Apple device (ewww!).

Flew for the first time today with my new iPad mini 4 and had no issues, brightness was good and the DJI app had no crashes caused by the video cache. I’m happy!

As a Mac/Apple owner since 1977 and having owned every model of iPhone issued, I assure you this label is granted by Apple to devices that are programmed to work, albeit not exclusively, with the iPhone.

This is correct, the "Made for Iphone" label just means that DJI have paid Apple to be part of their "MFi" hardware approval scheme. For any hardware device to be allowed to connect to an Apple device you have to submit reams of documentation to Apple, be approved by them and include an Apple hardware encoding chip in the design. You can then print "Made for iPhone" on the box. It is a cunning ploy by Apple but it doesn't mean that it is designed just for the iPhone or that the iPhone is the preferred operating device.

Reactions: Meta4
I have read and enjoyed the forums for almost two years and rightly agree that most inputs are by people with problems. Lost drones, crashed drones, updates won't complete, no fly zone problems, etc.

I think I'm a more typical droner. I currently own a Tello, Spark, Mavic Air, and Mavic 2 Pro (Sold my Mavic for the Mavic 2). I live in the Apple sphere, but also own an Android based Smart controller.

In two years my worst problem was the data/video connection between the Mavic controller and my iPhone which I resolved by using a cable. I have never had a problem installing any firmware updates and yesterday I successfully updated my smart controller first try via WIFI. I've never had to resort to DJI Assistant for any update. Yes, I did have the file date glitch.

I have never had a DJO Go4 software failure, nor a Litchi waypoint route problem, nor a Spark fly away problem. I routinely use RTH on all my drones (except the Tello) and it works flawlessly as long as I don't accidentally initiate "Land" rather than RTH.

Not to say I never have challenges. Today, I'll try to figure out why my gimble appeared to lock during yesterday's flight (probably an isolated software glitch that will be cured with a restart). Or why my 4K video shuddered yesterday. Probably because I swapped my on board 64Gb SD card for a 128Gb card that may have a glitch.

But, overall this is just amazing technology that is a joy to experiment with, but not without some hiccups. Back in the eighties, I would tell my family I'm going to load a new program or install a new piece of hardware into my PC so I'll be busy for an hour or so. Their response alway was see you tomorrow! In comparison my drone experiences are care free.

But, I'll always read the forum to learn from other's problems and hopefully avoid them myself.

First, it's no secret that DJI likes and caters to ios. It's also no secret that they provide DJIGo4 for Android as well. We use a Samsung 10 in. Tab A with our Pro 1 and it works fine since I accidentally fixed our gimbal control problem by clearing the cache on GO4 in the tablet.

My problem with DJI is that, instead of contacting the programmers for advice on how to fix the gimbal control problem, they simply recommend products on their compatibility list, generally IOS products. I had to "luck into" fixing my problem after asking questions on every forum I could find.

As to the Apple products, a few days ago, we went out for a field shoot and found that the login info was gone on the tablet. I forgot that I had cleared the cache again, and, of course, without internet in the field, we couldn't log into GO 4. So we grabbed my wife's iPhone 6S+ and used it. I should say "tried to use it". Oh, it worked fine, but on that bright day, we couldn't see the screen enough to work, even after finding a fairly shady area. We finally gave it up; we'll go back with the Tablet another day.

Let me hasten to add that it's probably not fair to compare a 6 inch iPhone with a 10 inch tablet, but screen brightness was definitely a factor.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
Why do gadgets like the DJI smartcontroller, Radios, Car Multimedia systems use Android?

Very simple: with Android there is already an OS available „for free“ that can be used. This is by far better than programming all the stuff by your own.

Apple by sure could do similar if they wanted to. But for what reason should Applr? Their cash cow is a rock stable fusion of software matched to only a certain number of their own devices with a restricted number of hardware components, resolutions etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis