DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"No Drone Zone" on private property

mavic63017

Reactions
Was recently flying my drone at a park. Before the flight, I checked Kittyhawk--the area is totally clear of any restrictions, and I flew around the whole area for about half an hour.

The park is adjacent to a large warehouse area, which is private property and is fenced off. After the flight, as I was walking back to the car, I walked past this area and noticed a sign that says "No Drone Zone" with an FAA logo on it. I definitely flew over this area during my flight.

Did I unknowingly violate any FAA rules during my flight? I looked up the "No Drone Zone" sign, and it looks like something anyone can download from the FAA web site. Is this a sign that they just put up, or did they actually get an official no-drone-zone put over their property by the FAA?

PS: If I had seen the sign before my flight, I wouldn't have flown over the area. But there's no way for anyone to see this from where I launched, unless it's something I can gather from charts or the app, but I somehow missed.

Those signs are usually designed to stop drones from taking off and landing while trucks are coming in and out during the day for business. You get a bunch of worker out for lunch and its Drone time.

I Would not let it worry you as well as you follow the Air space guide lines your fine.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Did I unknowingly violate any FAA rules during my flight? I looked up the "No Drone Zone" sign, and it looks like something anyone can download from the FAA web site. Is this a sign that they just put up, or did they actually get an official no-drone-zone put over their property by the FAA?
If you checked Kittyhawk, I believe you didn't violate FAA rules merely by flying in that airspace. The FAA controls airspace, and they publish restrictions on sectionals when the restriction is permanent, and by issuing a TFR for temporary restrictions. They don't issue restrictions for private landowners just because the landowner requests it.

But there are other potential problems.

FAA rules don't allow you to fly over people or moving vehicles, so be careful not to violate that rule.

You also must always be able to see your drone with your naked eye, which may limit how far you can go over someone's property.

Land owners can restrict you from using their land for takeoff/landing, as well as prohibiting you from operating your drone's controller while you are on their property, but they can't prohibit you from overflying their land. Imagine if airlines had to request permission from all land owners before overflying their land!

There are legal issues around photography and invasion of privacy. Don't take pictures/videos that might raise such concerns, and if you must overfly someone's land, remain at a respectful height.

There may be local ordinances that attempt to regulate airspace use. They probably don't preempt the FAA rules, but court challenges might be difficult or expensive.

If you checked Kittyhawk, I believe you didn't violate FAA rules merely by flying in that airspace. The FAA controls airspace, and they publish restrictions on sectionals when the restriction is permanent, and by issuing a TFR for temporary restrictions. They don't issue restrictions for private landowners just because the landowner requests it.

FAA rules don't allow you to fly over people or moving vehicles, so be careful not to violate that rule.

You also must always be able to see your drone with your naked eye, which may limit how far you can go over someone's property.

Land owners can restrict you from using their land for takeoff/landing, as well as prohibiting you from operating your drone's controller while you are on their property, but they can't prohibit you from overflying their land. Imagine if airlines had to request permission from all land owners before overflying their land!

There are legal issues around photography and invasion of privacy. Don't take pictures/videos that might raise such concerns, and if you must overfly someone's land, remain at a respectful height.

There may be local ordinances that attempt to regulate airspace use. They probably don't preempt the FAA rules, but court challenges might be difficult or expensive.
Well stated..

Reactions: NG Wildman

Not just airlines but any full size flight...does anyone else see the Irony of the FAA and their utmost ignorance of the UAS/Drone hobby and it's impeccable safety record... That is why I pretty much disregard them as a sanctioning body and do what I KNOW is safe or am responsible for safe operations or forbid in flight malfunction.

Last edited:
Was recently flying my drone at a park. Before the flight, I checked Kittyhawk--the area is totally clear of any restrictions, and I flew around the whole area for about half an hour.

The park is adjacent to a large warehouse area, which is private property and is fenced off. After the flight, as I was walking back to the car, I walked past this area and noticed a sign that says "No Drone Zone" with an FAA logo on it. I definitely flew over this area during my flight.

PS: If I had seen the sign before my flight, I wouldn't have flown over the area. But there's no way for anyone to see this from where I launched, unless it's something I can gather from charts or the app, but I somehow missed.

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

As already stated odds are that sign is not an "Official" FAA sign although it could be legit but I have my doubts.

Any chance you can give us a picture of the sign and it's exact location? It's possible they've been "duped" by an online sign company and they might honestly (incorrectly) think it's valid. I'd have no problem reaching out to my counterparts in that area and let them make a phone call.

Not just airlines but any full size flight...does anyone else see the Irony of the FAA and their utmost ignorance of the UAS/Drone hobby and it's impeccable safety record... That is why I pretty much disregard them as a sanctioning body and do what I KNOW is safe or am responsible for safe operations or forbid in flight malfunction.

With all due respect, this is absolutely one of the worst statements I've seen on our forum to date. Not THE worst but IMHO in the top 10. From someone who I saw as an industry professional I am utmost disappointed. This is no way to lead and be a mentor/roll model to others who are going to read this post and possibly follow your negligent lead.

Private company?

Was LAANC required for this flight? Did Sectional Charts display anything out of the ordinary? Any METARS restricting flight?

No.!? Have fun!

As most other places, you may NOT TO/L on their property! Plain and simple. However, that does not negate the fact that one should not respect the rights of a property owner!

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

As already stated odds are that sign is not an "Official" FAA sign although it could be legit but I have my doubts.

Any chance you can give us a picture of the sign and it's exact location? It's possible they've been "duped" by an online sign company and they might honestly (incorrectly) think it's valid. I'd have no problem reaching out to my counterparts in that area and let them make a phone call.

With all due respect, this is absolutely one of the worst statements I've seen on our forum to date. Not THE worst but IMHO in the top 10. From someone who I saw as an industry professional I am utmost disappointed. This is no way to lead and be a mentor/roll model to others who are going to read this post and possibly follow your negligent lead.
Yeah...that was an unnecessary comment.
However, I do wish the FAA would take a more aggressive, pre-emptive approach via PSA's to educate the general public, communities, local government, and states that the FAA are the only source for regulating our NAS.

Its simple over here in NZ
We cant fly over any property without permission from land owner/occupier.

• Angry
Reactions: tlswift58
As stated by someone else, I would expect a more intelligent attitude from someone who supposedly is a drone professional. Your post shows an utterly self-centered and dangerous attitude. Just because you don't agree with FAA regs does not mean you don't have to follow them. Maybe someone should let the FAA know just what you think of them? DO you HAVE a Part 107? Or do you just fly and do whatever you want because you don't recognize the FAA's authority? Please do not post this kind of dangerous attitude here....new members/drone owners look to forums like this for responsible, legally useful information. NOt some macho drone jocky's immature attitude.

I think we can ALL safely say that we don't like many FAA rules - that's almost a given in America - you know FREEDOM. A big YET & BUT - is they make the rules of the AIR SPACE we fly in - both as a UAV or pilot in an airplane. So they do have the authority to control it.

We have RULES - plain and simple and every UAV pilot NEEDS to know them. Whether that is taking a course on the subject from a Drone Company or even video's on YouTube. That is YOUR responsibility to know, understand, and abide by. Many of these rules come about for one main reason - pilots total disregard for their environment and safety of them and people, wildlife, and objects they are flying around. It's the one bad apple syndrome that hurts us all.

Don't like the rules - then choice of 2 things. #1 - DON'T FLY A UAV! #2 - contact the FAA and your DC Reps to let them know their rules are an infringement on your / our FREEDOMS to fly. Up to them to change those rules and maybe if enough people band together, then some of the "stupid" rules can be eliminated. Much like the FAA is "looking at" changing the rule on flying over people and maybe relaxing it some. I don't like flying over groups of people, as we see many posts here of drones gone wild / crashing / etc. If that happens in a crowd - someone can / will get hurt. That's the reason for that rule. Now, flying over a vehicle is pretty stupid to a point. While nobody typically would get hurt if a drone crashed into it - the reaction of the driver may cause an accident, thus hurting people and property.

All that being said - I have no problem getting good pics / video's being away from people, cars, property (buildings / etc) at a safe distance. We all can do that and keep flying safely and hopefully establish a pattern that allows those making the rules to see we are RESPONSIBLE PILOTS and know when we've gone beyond safe and sane flying. Yes, there will always be people breaking the rules, but WE as a group need to keep that to a bare minimum.

I know a few wild and crazy drone pilots (typical racer types) and if they can follow rules and not be in harms way - then us more sane and safe folks can do the same.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please use one of the best forum search options.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

Getting them fired up over your question.

I think we can ALL safely say that we don't like many FAA rules - that's almost a given in America - you know FREEDOM. A big YET & BUT - is they make the rules of the AIR SPACE we fly in - both as a UAV or pilot in an airplane. So they do have the authority to control it.

We have RULES - plain and simple and every UAV pilot NEEDS to know them. Whether that is taking a course on the subject from a Drone Company or even video's on YouTube. That is YOUR responsibility to know, understand, and abide by. Many of these rules come about for one main reason - pilots total disregard for their environment and safety of them and people, wildlife, and objects they are flying around. It's the one bad apple syndrome that hurts us all.

Don't like the rules - then choice of 2 things. #1 - DON'T FLY A UAV! #2 - contact the FAA and your DC Reps to let them know their rules are an infringement on your / our FREEDOMS to fly. Up to them to change those rules and maybe if enough people band together, then some of the "stupid" rules can be eliminated. Much like the FAA is "looking at" changing the rule on flying over people and maybe relaxing it some. I don't like flying over groups of people, as we see many posts here of drones gone wild / crashing / etc. If that happens in a crowd - someone can / will get hurt. That's the reason for that rule. Now, flying over a vehicle is pretty stupid to a point. While nobody typically would get hurt if a drone crashed into it - the reaction of the driver may cause an accident, thus hurting people and property.

All that being said - I have no problem getting good pics / video's being away from people, cars, property (buildings / etc) at a safe distance. We all can do that and keep flying safely and hopefully establish a pattern that allows those making the rules to see we are RESPONSIBLE PILOTS and know when we've gone beyond safe and sane flying. Yes, there will always be people breaking the rules, but WE as a group need to keep that to a bare minimum.

I know a few wild and crazy drone pilots (typical racer types) and if they can follow rules and not be in harms way - then us more sane and safe folks can do the same.
Well said, but one correction, they are not "looking' into relaxing the rules about flying over people and moving vehicles, they have (come March).

Reactions: tlswift58
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78