DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Drones Allowed - Can they say this?

@Johnnydxxx ,i would try to find out what the exclusion is based on
Scottish land laws are different to the rest of the UK ,it just maybe have to do with the fact that they dont want birds being disturbed during the nesting season

Scottish land laws are different to the rest of the UK ,it just maybe have to do with the fact that they dont want birds being disturbed during the nesting season
Usually when birds or wildlife is the reason, they are pretty explicit about explaining it.

@Helmie .i agree that it does not mention birds but what pointed me in that direction,was the fact that it had a ranger service badge on the sign
it could also be that some protected game birds have decided to nest there and they dont want the location to be found ,to prevent the eggs being stolen ( i will refrain from the word poached as it is egg related )
if the OP really wants to fly his drone there ,then some contact with the necessary authorities ,to find out what the ban is about ,should throw some light on the subject,and just remember that even if its not enforceable in the legal sense ,that does not prevent the people who put up the sign from taking out a civil law suit ,if a drone was flown there

Reactions: Torque and rickfmdj
If there is not a “fly zone restriction” then flying is permissible! We all know that.
The sign is amateurish at best and that’s that!

Not wanting drones is one thing, having a flying restriction is another.

However further investigation might be a ‘sensible’ thing to do . . .

Reactions: Fizzbang
A site in the Scottish Highlands. Does my local council think they know better than the CAA?

View attachment 146558

So, what EXACTLY is "this site" as per their notice ?
A local park, outskirts of town, a swamp, other public land / reserve ?

I have a feeling with the temporary type signage, it's probably something to do with birds nesting or such.
Or maybe they are waiting on the 50 signs they are getting made up properly :confused:

That's the reason most of the time. Don't disturb the birds. Although, let the all-terrain vehicles. A drone will fall out of the sky if a birds even touches the props. It's a lose lose.

A site in the Scottish Highlands. Does my local council think they know better than the CAA?

View attachment 146558
They can say whatever they wish. Another question might be, "Can they enforce it"? In any case, the most responsible thing to do may be to contact them and inquire as to their reasoning. Just my opinion...

FWIW, that is an official/legal sign posted with authorization by the council. Those are used frequently for temporary restrictions or until printed signs can be produced.

I've no idea the enforceability of it. Scottish land laws can be quite strange.

Even if not legally enforceable, why be a jerk about it? Find out what the purpose is and then maybe consider being respectful.

I'd first ask what the reason for this is, and then ask the scotish FAA if flying there is a restricted area (or if they have officially file for a restricted zone). And if you have the right to fly there.

But, you know....? Why don't you just go fly somewere else and leave your money elsewere? The other -drone friendly- area will also get some free advestisment if you upload videos online (like grass fields, mountains, points of interest, forests etc)

You can't launch drones from their land. You can fly over just fine. Don't disturb nesting birds.

If it's designated as a SSSI - like many important wildlife sites in the UK, drone flying is an offence as it counts as 'damage' to the SSSI.

If it's designated as a SSSI - like many important wildlife sites in the UK, drone flying is an offence as it counts as 'damage' to the SSSI.
There is no offence caused by flying a drone in or near a SSSI. The only offence is disturbing nesting birds, flying 150m above nesting birds is very unlikely to disturb them for example. Taking off in a SSSI would be considered trespass and is a civil matter.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga