DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

no-fly zones

GH02050

Reactions
I have to say I was super excited to get going with my new toy (Mavic 2 pro) but it appears I live a seriously congested no-fly & restricted fly area. I live inside of the orange circle area (a few miles from a small local airport), so as i understand it, I can't fly this at my house or in my neighborhood and most of the areas we frequent (beaches/boat) are no-fly zones. Basically the entire Cape Cod national sea shore is no-fly -WTF. The green lines below represent the areas we boat and beach in the summer and most of it is impacted in some way. Now I'm wondering if should just return the Drone and buy another stand up paddle board. I guess I don't even have a question, this is my first post and it's a basically just a rant. I don't really want to return this but DAM that's a pretty depressing map.

Look here to see what you'll actually be dealing with in the Go4 app. Be sure to check the boxes to show "warning zones" and "enhanced warning zones". Both require nothing more than checking a box in the Go4 app. They are not "No Fly Zones". There are plenty of places to fly but bear in mind that you still need to notify airports within 5 miles when flying under Part 336. National Parks will most likely always be off limits for flight.

Reactions: Drgnfli
As 53-63-6f-74-74 said above, all airports are not no-fly zones. The sectional shows that these (Provincetown, Plymouth, Marshfield) are not Class b, C, D, or E airspace, so you are not prevented from flying there. But some of the orange zones are around a nuclear power plant, and a jail, so don't go there.

Attachments

• Cape Cod.jpg
    Cape Cod.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
The Fly safe GEO zone map is a lot less depressing.
It doesn't even show anything for the Marshfield Mun. Airport.

Lol could be worse!

How are the winds out on the Cape? I used to live out by Worcester. Going to go visit friends late Spring, thinking about shooting out to the Cape to fly as well. Screenshot_20190401-224224_Chrome.jpeg

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but I think it’s important to make sure the rules are understood so if you break them that’s at least a conscious decision.

If your are a recreational pilot in the US, as @53-63-6f-74-74 said above, even if the airport does not have its own controlled airspace you still need to notify them. Even if DJI doesn’t have a geozone or lets you self-unlock you still need to know if you are within 5 miles of an airport.

brett8883- Nope that isn't being a negative Nancy at all. I am defiantly as green as they get with the rules of flight. I do fully intend on understanding the rules completely before I take off (if I ever do).

JSKCKNIT- The winds on the Cape vary greatly but I usually make a day of it over there by boat so I'm usually there in pretty favorable conditions. Your Geo map looks terrible. You must have to travel to fly.

AirMap shows the local airport and provides the # to call. I would have to probably call two local airports to be in compliance
as my local flights could come within 5 miles of both. I have about 10 more days do decide if I keep this or not

I was in Scottsdale AZ, and the controller said NFZ baseball game and It wouldn't let me take off. I tried for 30 minutes and nothing. Help!

I was in Scottsdale AZ, and the controller said NFZ baseball game and It wouldn't let me take off. I tried for 30 minutes and nothing. Help!
If it's a true NFZ or TFR then no one can help. You're not allowed to fly there.

I have to say I was super excited to get going with my new toy (Mavic 2 pro) but it appears I live a seriously congested no-fly & restricted fly area. I live inside of the orange circle area (a few miles from a small local airport), so as i understand it, I can't fly this at my house or in my neighborhood and most of the areas we frequent (beaches/boat) are no-fly zones. Basically the entire Cape Cod national sea shore is no-fly -WTF. The green lines below represent the areas we boat and beach in the summer and most of it is impacted in some way. Now I'm wondering if should just return the Drone and buy another stand up paddle board. I guess I don't even have a question, this is my first post and it's a basically just a rant. I don't really want to return this but DAM that's a pretty depressing map.
View attachment 68031
Recall that the FAA does not have patrolling agents, like game wardens. They respond to incidents of injury or serious property damage. They are a buraucracy, not primarily a law enforcement agency. So, if you are unobstrucive, polite, and are ready to leave a site rather than protest about your rights to be there, and observe all the safety rules, it is very likely you can fly almost anywhere, as watching You Tube videos will demonstrate.

If it's a true NFZ or TFR then no one can help. You're not allowed to fly there.
I just talked to DJI they told me to e-mail them with all my info. And they would unlock my drone for that location.
I was 5 miles away from the ball park, and just wanted some pics of the pool, like from 30 feet high, how would that mess with a baseball game? Preseason

Last edited:
I can understand a 5 mile radius around an airport, because of potential conflicts with airport traffic. But is it 5 miles around a baseball game? That's crazy. One mile would be a ridiculous safety buffer.

Recall that the FAA does not have patrolling agents, like game wardens. They respond to incidents of injury or serious property damage. They are a buraucracy, not primarily a law enforcement agency. So, if you are unobstrucive, polite, and are ready to leave a site rather than protest about your rights to be there, and observe all the safety rules, it is very likely you can fly almost anywhere, as watching You Tube videos will demonst
I just talked to DJI they told me to e-mail them with all my info. And they would unlock my drone for that location.

Reactions: LJE1952
Recall that the FAA does not have patrolling agents, like game wardens. They respond to incidents of injury or serious property damage. They are a buraucracy, not primarily a law enforcement agency. So, if you are unobstrucive, polite, and are ready to leave a site rather than protest about your rights to be there, and observe all the safety rules, it is very likely you can fly almost anywhere, as watching You Tube videos will demonstrate.

This isn’t necessarily true and just because you might not be caught doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so. While I think the UAV mania is over blown when it comes to safety, there are legitimately places where UAVs are dangerous to manned aircraft, like airports, and other places where the Government will see UAVs as legitimate threats even if they are flown but well meaning individuals.

Remember that while the FAA is not primarily a law enforcement agency but the FBI and DHS is. Flying in a temporary NFZ or putting manned aircraft in danger is a great way to get a visit by men in black suits driving unmarked black sedans asking if you have connections to any terrorist organizations.

Just don’t be stupid!

I can understand a 5 mile radius around an airport, because of potential conflicts with airport traffic. But is it 5 miles around a baseball game? That's crazy. One mile would be a ridiculous safety buffer.

You're a private pilot so I'm surprised you aren't familiar with the gameday TFRs. They have been around for many years. Theory is they are enacted due to congressional lobbying from the professional leagues who wanted to get rid of the banner towing folks that would fly over stadiums and advertise without giving the NFL/MLB, etc their cut.

I was 5 miles away from the ball park, and just wanted some pics of the pool, like from 30 feet high, how would that mess with a baseball game? Preseason
The TFR around sporting events is 3 NM radius. Here is the NOTAM FDC 7/4319 text for area affected:
ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW WITHIN AN AREA DEFINED AS: 3 NMR OF A QUALIFYING STADIUM OR OTHER SPORTING VENUE HOSTING A QUALIFYING EVENT UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL.

Reactions: izzy and dawgpilot
The TFR around sporting events is 3 NM radius. Here is the NOTAM FDC 7/4319 text for area affected:
ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW WITHIN AN AREA DEFINED AS: 3 NMR OF A QUALIFYING STADIUM OR OTHER SPORTING VENUE HOSTING A QUALIFYING EVENT UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL.

In the Scottsdale , AZ area lots of teams have their spring training so 2 or 3 games could be going on at the same time. Most of the time if i'm in a no fly zone I used to bypass it with a few buttons. My first flight was near Military Base not far from the control tower and runway. I didn't know anything about rules. But I was only going about 15 feet high and 100 feet out, way below the tops of the tree's. I'll never do that again will out calling the tower first.

View attachment 68031
The Cape can be a frustrating place since the National Seashore would offer some fantastic views but you can't fly there. All of Chatham is within 5 miles of the airport but the AP manager and his staff have been very helpful and easy to work with. I fly conservatively and within the FAA rules and have never been told I should not fly at the town beaches or fields where I go. The same has been true around my home in NJ. I am confident that if you work with your local airport you can find some interesting places to fly too.

Reactions: GH02050
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying