DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No longer have a crash free record :(

Altanore

Reactions
Had a Phantom 3 for a few years, never crashed it. Had many flights with my mini 2 so far and starting my trip through British Columbia, I planned to fly lots more. Very first flight of the day and I smack into a power line. I was bringing it back home along the ditch beside a road, with trees on either side and there was one single power line that went across the road. But! I am happy to say that it only suffered broken props. I had to replace the props on both rear rotors and I couldn't find any other damage. Even the IMU said it was okay but I recalibrated it anyway. Guess it helped it crashed on soft ground. Was a relief because it would have ruined my road trip a bit. Flew a bunch of times after and still going strong!

I am religiously checking the prop screws though. I didn't add additional loctite, just only the bit already on the replacement screws. Think that is still okay? They have not loosened at all.

DJI_0601.jpg
20210924_104945.jpg
20210924_104956.jpg

Glad to hear a happy ending to the story. ?

Here's my spare prop case. :D

20201112_145828.jpg

Powerlines are almost invisible on device screens until right on them.
Of course they are too fine for OA to pick up.
I very occasionally see them in video review when editing though.
Best obviously to do a really good pre flight check if the area.
Glad the damage was minimal, and the road trip continues in good spirits.

Powerlines are almost invisible on device screens until right on them.
Of course they are too fine for OA to pick up.
I very occasionally see them in video review when editing though.
Best obviously to do a really good pre flight check if the area.
Glad the damage was minimal, and the road trip continues in good spirits.
I only just now realized that the picture was of powerlines. Lol. I guess I'm among the many who don't even see it afterward. Lol.

I only just now realized that the picture was of powerlines. Lol. I guess I'm among the many who don't even see it afterward. Lol.

Now just part of pre flight, and if driving along to some location I’ll take note of how they run in an area.
One if our apps (AirMap) actually has major powerline warnings, but trust it only in conjunction with visual checks for smaller local lines.

Haha, love it. Usually do a pre-check but this time my only concern was the trees. Still didn't even see the powerline initially when spotting my mini, wondering what the heck I hit.

I would suggest to check the rear arms for alignment and any apparent gaps at the pivots, it seems a rather weak area.
I think there must be some evil Genies that hang around power lines and draw drones in, 6 inches to a foot up or down and the drone would miss the cable yet they some how manage to be bang on target.

Haha, love it. Usually do a pre-check but this time my only concern was the trees. Still didn't even see the powerline initially when spotting my mini, wondering what the heck I hit.

Amazing isn't it ?
All that vast wilderness around you, and coming through you hit the one 1/4" or so cable strung across the way.
Murphy's Law strikes again.

My thoughts excatley. :)

Had a Phantom 3 for a few years, never crashed it. Had many flights with my mini 2 so far and starting my trip through British Columbia, I planned to fly lots more. Very first flight of the day and I smack into a power line. I was bringing it back home along the ditch beside a road, with trees on either side and there was one single power line that went across the road. But! I am happy to say that it only suffered broken props. I had to replace the props on both rear rotors and I couldn't find any other damage. Even the IMU said it was okay but I recalibrated it anyway. Guess it helped it crashed on soft ground. Was a relief because it would have ruined my road trip a bit. Flew a bunch of times after and still going strong!

I am religiously checking the prop screws though. I didn't add additional loctite, just only the bit already on the replacement screws. Think that is still okay? They have not
Perfect. Godspeed Droniac

I agree with @NDWildBill ... power lines and trees are EVIL!! Here is my power line story. I had pulled over to the side of the road. There was a large empty field in front of me. No obstructions at all - wide open. I power up the Air2S and take off. Suddenly I hit something. I'm thinking to myself, What?? I look up to see what is going on, only to see my Air2S fighting with power lines!! I did not account for the power lines above my head. It pays to look up before you take off ...DUH! The props were hitting the power lines, but it was not enough to bring the bird down (Whew!). I was able to stear clear and the Air2S was able to live another day. :)

• Wow
Reactions: Altanore
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929