DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No precision landing on Mavic 2, "removed"

They updated the MP manual 5 or 6 times at least.
This one will need it even if its only to remove "Coming Soon" for waypoints!

For me, the precision landing feature is all about safety during final approach, much like ILS on an aircraft. The software can make calculations and adjustments more efficiently than the majority of human drone pilots, especially in challenging weather conditions. Of course, we are all ready to take manual control if needed, but it's a case of flying smarter and safer. I'm still stunned that this safety feature is not as yet available on the Mavic 2.

DJI have confirmed that Precision Landing 2.0 is on its way via a firmware release. We don't know when, but this is really good news nonetheless. I have confidence that they are listening, waypoints must be a given too (hopefully).

Credit to @Jason_Diaz @DJIGlobal @DJISupport

Attachments

• screenshot-twitter.com-2018.09.07-12-41-00.png
    screenshot-twitter.com-2018.09.07-12-41-00.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 91
DJI have confirmed that Precision Landing 2.0 is on its way via a firmware release. We don't know when, but this is really good news nonetheless. I have confidence that they are listening, waypoints must be a given too (hopefully).

Credit to @Jason_Diaz @DJIGlobal @DJISupport
Until then, these skids I've ordered are going to help me grab the thing before it hits something without loosing my fingers. lol

http://www.irepairmd.com/product-page/arris-raptor2-skid-for-the-dji-mavic-2

I've ordered them with their quick release pontoons. :)tapatalk_1536285066803.jpeg

Last edited:
Great way of increasing the chances of it crashing and reducing stability. Well done, $2000 on a drone then immediately made it worse!

Great way of increasing the chances of it crashing and reducing stability. Well done, $2000 on a drone then immediately made it worse!
Great way to be a troll.

These skids have been used for years on previous Mavic models and the current model as been fully evaluated in urban and wooded areas of Virginia and on the beaches of Australia.

I'm sorry your criticism has been wasted here.

On what basis is it less stable, please? Thank you.

They move the CoG fairly severely, they increase drag and wind resistance and they increase weight. The drone is now off balance, slightly heavier and draggier. It wobbles more and the ESCs have to work harder to maintain stability.
(That and they dont actually work anyway)

Makes you (me that is) wonder why it was supposed to be such a 'great feature' for the MPPro and Air. Who needs Precision Landing? Your take off area should be large enough, flat, horizontal, and clear from obstacles anyhow.

A recently published official study showed that cars with parking aids, lane warning systems, adaptive breaking, etc, were twice as much involved in incidents than cars without these systems. Those systems are great as an extra safety but should never be trusted enough to just hand over responsibility. Same goes for the mavics automatic systems.
Yeah yeah yeah - while we're at it strip out GPS, magnetometer, and barometer since we should always be LOS and you shouldn't depend on them for flying your aircraft. In fact all are known culprits in flight mishaps.

Don't forget the IMUs. They balance it for you. Clearly very dangerous.

I guess this guy has never flown on a commercial aircraft. He'd be terrified to find out the computers are in charge and the most difficult procedures humans arent allowed to fly manually.

Makes you (me that is) wonder why it was supposed to be such a 'great feature' for the MPPro and Air. Who needs Precision Landing? Your take off area should be large enough, flat, horizontal, and clear from obstacles anyhow.

A recently published official study showed that cars with parking aids, lane warning systems, adaptive breaking, etc, were twice as much involved in incidents than cars without these systems. Those systems are great as an extra safety but should never be trusted enough to just hand over responsibility. Same goes for the mavics automatic systems.

The technology exists; there's no reason to remove a fun, useful feature that works quite well. What I want to know is what's wrong with the design that forced DJI to remove it?

It's a way to test that all systems are working optimally and it's fun to show off to folks new to drones. I like my Mavic Pro to return to the landing pad it took off from, not six feet away. Sometimes I'll land it manually there, sometimes not and I'll let it handle the landing itself.

I'm keeping my highly-modded Mavic Pro until the wheels fall off; might take another look at the MP2 or MP3 when the camera mount doesn't fall off and when it's been unshackled from the Chicoms.

Yep, I lasted about 4 seconds before destroying my kit assembled RC helicopter.!! 4 weeks building for 4 seconds flying/crashing [emoji25]

Hah! I did exactly the same thing a hundred years ago.

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
I can't believe people are still sweating the precision landing, even after confirming it's coming in a future update. No, they didn't remove the feature, they just haven't been able to add it yet. It's a completely different drone with completely different sensors, from a programming perspective it's basically a new feature. I think most of us assumed it would come eventually.

To each his own. Live and let live. Some want to pilot, some love to let it land itself. Troll central here.

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
Right, so every takeoff you go to an area with a 5m radius. You completely sweep the area removing even the 2 inch small stones on the floor. You then go out pulling all the long grass, weeds and plants over 1/2 an inch tall. After that you make sure that 5m radius is completely flat, there are no trees anywhere near, no other debris and no wires.
Then you fly.
Do you not see that as somewhat restrictive in terms of site choice and launch location for a "go anywhere" drone?
Because if you DONT do the above and your RC goes down or the somewhere locks the drone will come back and can EASILY damage itself on these obstacles. You may not have the choice of whether to auto land or manually land.

Don't be obtuse. The point is that those who RELY on those systems are more likely to fail. It is much like the incompetent Asiana Airlines pilots who flew a perfectly operating airplane into the ground under ideal weather conditions and visibility, simply because the airport's auto-landing system was down, so they were called on to actually FLY the plane.

Right, and they had the ability to FLY the plane. If your RC cant talk to the drone you have no method at all of controlling the drone so are completely forced to rely on the automated landing.
So if you havent cleansed a large area theres a very real chance that drone is going to crash into something and damage itself. Whereas the old mavic wouldn't.

And no, Asiana didnt crash because they had to "fly" - they crashed because they failed to understand the functions of the auto throttle modes and failed to check things. No manual "flying" was involved - they simply didnt understand a system.

Plus in real aviation, pilots are not ALLOWED to fly the lowest visibility approaches legally because the computers are far better at it than them in every way.

As far as I'm concerned, it all boils down to risk vs reward. People who take their drones to more challenging environments knowing they might lose one every now and then will likely get much better video than people launching from a large open area every time. If you can't take your drone to those higher risk environments because you can't trust it to land if you lose connection, you'll just get the same video as everyone else restricted to open landing zones. I imagine anyone launching off the side of a cliff is well aware they may someday fail, but sometimes the video is worth it.

I fully agree with you.

Precision landing or any other computer controlled modes of flight are great features to have and nowhere in the manual does it say you have to use them. You can demonstrate to non-dronies the cool things that your bird can do all by itself or do it manually, the bottom line is to have fun. For me, as a newbie, the automatic modes give me something to strive to achieve manually and set me a challenge. If PL comes in, I’ll try it, see how accurate it is and see if I can do it as accurately and as quickly. I’ll treat all the modes as my personal in built flight instructor.

Put an old P2 into manual mode and you effectively have exactly that. Almost unflyable without much practice, if it survives that long.
You can still do that on a P4 if you know what to change. All the flight controller does is maintain motor RPM, you're responsible for holding the throttle in the correct position for a hover and maintaining attitude with the right stick. It still seems reasonably stable, likely due a high percentage of mass under the center of lift (heavy gimbal and battery cells are both mounted under the propellers).

Fun for a laugh I guess, but pretty easy to confuse or overload the gimbal. TBH the hardest part is keeping a steady altitude with the spring loaded throttle stick fighting you.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkanoz86