DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No sound w/ first MA2 video

Papabri

Reactions
There’s no sound on video playback, either on the SC screen or transferred to my laptop. Is there some setting I’m overlooking? TIA

Hi Papabri, MA2 doesn't record any sound or are you talking about post-production?

If the AC video had sound, all you'd hear is prop noise.
Cheap toy drones like Syma have cheap cameras that include sound. All you hear is loud EEEEEEE from the motors.

Now if you enable cache video, you can turn on sound for it, where the sound would be picked up by your phone mic.

Reactions: Thomas B
If the AC video had sound, all you'd hear is prop noise.
Cheap toy drones like Syma have cheap cameras that include sound. All you hear is loud EEEEEEE from the motors.

Now if you enable cache video, you can turn on sound for it, where the sound would be picked up by your phone mic.
I wasn't expecting sound recorded by the drone for obvious reasons. I was wondering why my voice narrative to the SC microphone wasn't recorded with the video. This morning, I plugged in a headset with USB into the SC's USB port, and it works like a champ, but only to the cache video, which has all the screen command stuff. Is there any way to get my voice narrative onto the "clean" video?

I wasn't expecting sound recorded by the drone for obvious reasons. I was wondering why my voice narrative to the SC microphone wasn't recorded with the video. This morning, I plugged in a headset with USB into the SC's USB port, and it works like a champ, but only to the cache video, which has all the screen command stuff. Is there any way to get my voice narrative onto the "clean" video?
Your going to have to strip the audio from that track and align it with SD side... Only way I have seen it done. I have done it once or twice, but I find it easier to just dub over on the editor side and narrate watching the video...to each their own. :)

Last edited:
If you're seeing telemetry and such in your "cache" video, then that was screen capture video, not cache.

Be sure cache is enabled in the app, and if you want narrative, turn that on in the app as well.
I'm not sure though if Fly has the ability to add audio to the cache video. It is available in Go app.

But you probably don't want to use either video in your production, only the audio track so it doesn't really matter, as long as the time signature matches between the video on the SC and the one on the AC SD. It would be best if the frame rates were the same.

There’s no sound on video playback, either on the SC screen or transferred to my laptop. Is there some setting I’m overlooking? TIA
Yes, there is no microphone on the drone. You can add sound using a video editor. If there was a microphone, do you really want to hear the whine of the motors?

Yes, you are missing that the camera does not have a microphone. Do you really want to hear the whine of the motors? Download the video to a video editor and add soothing music.

Looking back my comment looks a little condescending but I was genuinely curious.
You should get audio of your voice through the SC microphone see page 5 – No 14 of the manual, download Manual HERE
Yes, I understand that the microphone records sound at the controller location - and of much higher quality when I use a microphone plugged into the USB port. However, it doesn't put that audio with the video that the AC camera is recording, only with the cache video with all the screen control icons showing. (Unless there's a setting I'm overlooking) What I haven't figured out is how to merge that audio with the video, hopefully without using one of those complicated-looking 3rd party programs. Thnx.

Using a video editor is your only option. Desired audio in file A on one system, desired video in file B on another system. It's up to you to merge them.

And like I said, the actual cache video does not have screen controls showing, only what the AC camera sees. What you think is the cache video is a screen capture.
But screen capture or cache video, you're only interested in the audio so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Papabri
Using a video editor is your only option. Desired audio in file A on one system, desired video in file B on another system. It's up to you to merge them.

And like I said, the actual cache video does not have screen controls showing, only what the AC camera sees. What you think is the cache video is a screen capture.
But screen capture or cache video, you're only interested in the audio so it doesn't matter.
Ok, thanks. Maybe DJI can simplify that in the future.

Sound is never going to be on the actual video on the SD card as its recorded to the controller. Audio isnt sent from the controller TO the drone to write.

That's what he was expecting and hoping for. If DJI hasn't done it yet, especially after they did add ability to add audio to cache video, they aren't going to do it.
Again, that's cache video, not screen capture video. Cache video doesn't have on-screen controls and telemetry showing.

Sound is never going to be on the actual video on the SD card as its recorded to the controller. Audio isnt sent from the controller TO the drone to write.
I understand, but if the AC can send video to the SC, it seems ;like it wouldn't be a technical leap for the SC to send audio to the AC.

Last edited:
I understand, but if the AC can send video to the SC, it seems ;like it wouldn't be a technical leap for the SC to send audio to the AC.
The a/c doesnt send the full quality video to the controller in real time during flight. Its an adaptive lower resolution cache video to fit in max 10mbps or whatever the link negotiated speed is at that time.

Maybe a solution would be to record a .mp3 on the controller which could then be synchronised with the real video once its copied off the SD card after the flight. Im not sure how many people would use that though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead