DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No submarine mode? Into the drink...

The last words I said to my brother before he grabbed the remote to my drone was "don't crash it...or you bought it". He flew it for a few minutes and then put in the shallows of a fresh water lake. Maybe I should not have said anything. He has a Mavic but not much experience with them. I didn't think he would sink it though.

So, my options are this.

1.) Try to get this thing fixed..if it can even be fixed. (It has been drying for 5 days and will not connect.)
2.) Have him replace just the drone. (I have accessories that only work with the M2P)
3.) Or get a Mavic Air 2. I am not a pro drone user so.....I could probably be just fine with the Air 2

Is there any value in parting this thing out? I crashed my first Mavic 3+ years ago and messed it up pretty bad but sold it for parts.

Is it worth having DJI look at it? Again, it was in clean fresh water and only in the water for about 5 minutes.

My bro is a generous guy and I hate that this happened. I have been using the drone more lately and have some plans for more use in the future. Nothing commercial though...

Thoughts?

T

In a word: State Farm Insurance. You don’t even need your cars with them. Full refund from them. Check them out. After loosing a couple of M2P’s I fly with confidence now.

Insurance is a great suggestion , exactly what I did from the start for piece of mind. Sorry to hear about your loss, I would get a quote from DJI or a reputable drone repair place. Then work from there, if it’s within a couple of hundred bucks of new, consider starting afresh. Honestly I can not see it being the same repaired (if it is possible as most will probably have to be replaced). Either way hope it all works out with your bro, all will be good in the end.[Language removed by ADMIN] does just happen unfortunately .

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not the electronics in the battery, although they are a concern - water and lithium do not sit happily together. In fact if they do mix together they will react and part from each other explosively.
I think you are confusing your battery chemistries- your concern may, and probably does, have some relevance to lithium Metal cells.

LiION butteries do not contain elemental lithium.

You won't get an explosive reaction from immersing a LiION cell in water. In fact water is recommended to control a LiION battery fire, including within instructions to airline flight crew.

In any case the fact that the battery cell pouches keep the electrolyte inside suggests little to no chance of water ingress from immersion.

Taping into insurance on a regular basis will cause every other insurance you have to go up. I have tapped into the insurance in the past. Claims usually stay on three years. I have one more year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS