DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

None 4G tablet?

If you are going for an Android tablet, the discussion about GPS is unnecessary since almost every Androud device has GPS anyway.
Wifi only is fine for flying. I've been doing it for 5 years.
If for some reason you really needed internet data, it's easy to temporarily hotspot from your phone.

If you were looking for a good non-fruit flavoured flying tablet, Huawei's M3 and M5 are about the best available.
I use the M5 and it works really well, I just cache maps before flying and I've never had any issues.

The home point location data displayed on the map comes from the drone's GPS.
I didn't say home point I said one's location on the map before AC connects. If it didn't it would show you in China. Actually both positions are shown but typically the Home Point and RC point are so close together that only one shows.
Go interpretation of Android GPS was a big problem back in January 2016 where one's RC position appeared over 2 miles WNW from actual. There were lots of fly aways and unexplainable "maximum distance reached" issues for about a month. DJI quickly fixed the issue after their New Year shutdown and even had me beta test the fix.

I didn't say home point I said one's location on the map before AC connects. If it didn't it would show you in China.
1. No ... try it yourself, turn off location services and open the app.
It does not show you in China.
2. The only location that really matter s is the aircraft's location.
It records the homepoint and can return to the homepoint if required.
The controller's location is not important.

Go interpretation of Android GPS was a big problem back in January 2016 where one's RC position appeared over 2 miles WNW from actual. There were lots of fly aways and unexplainable "maximum distance reached" issues for about a month. DJI quickly fixed the issue after their New Year shutdown and even had me beta test the fix.
It sounds like you are referring to the jumping homepoint issue with one firmware version for the P3 Standard back in Jan 2017?.
That was not a problem with Android GPS which was correctly recorded the whole time.
It caused problems where a max Distance limit was set, if the homepoint jumped such that the drone believed it was too far from the "new" homepoint.
DJI eventually released new firmware to correct the problem. (The only case of DJI making a firmware update compulsory)
It's completely irrelevant to anything discussed in this thread.

1. No ... try it yourself, turn off location services and open the app.
It does not show you in China.
2. The only location that really matter s is the aircraft's location.
It records the homepoint and can return to the homepoint if required.
The controller's location is not important.

It sounds like you are referring to the jumping homepoint issue with one firmware version for the P3 Standard back in Jan 2017?.
That was not a problem with Android GPS which was correctly recorded the whole time.
It caused problems where a max Distance limit was set, if the homepoint jumped such that the drone believed it was too far from the "new" homepoint.
DJI eventually released new firmware to correct the problem. (The only case of DJI making a firmware update compulsory)
It's completely irrelevant to anything discussed in this thread.
OK so I tried your suggestion.
With location services on but not connected to RC, Go 4 shows my current location on the map.
Turn off location services and restart Go, when I bring up the map it asks to turn on the services. I decline (cancel) and it shows the entire world, with center of map being off shore from Africa.

The issue in 2017 was the RC (Android) location misinterpreted and being over two miles west. I'm the one that figured that out and posted it. Everyone else realized I was right. Because of that, it tended to cause false max distance reached, and possibly homepoint to sometimes get set to the phantom RC location.

With location services on but not connected to RC, Go 4 shows my current location on the map.
Turn off location services and restart Go, when I bring up the map it asks to turn on the services. I decline (cancel) and it shows the entire world, with center of map being off shore from Africa.
What happened to China?
If your tablet is showing the Gulf of Guinea, it's displaying the location of 0.000°N 0.000°E ie .. all the GPS data fields are zero.
The issue in 2017 was the RC (Android) location misinterpreted and being over two miles west. I'm the one that figured that out and posted it. Everyone else realized I was right. Because of that, it tended to cause false max distance reached, and possibly homepoint to sometimes get set to the phantom RC location.
That still sounds a lot like the famous Jumping Homepoint issue of January 2017.
It caused a lot of excitement for a couple of weeks.
Here's one of many posts about it: WARNING - Jumping Home Point - Shenzen, we have a problem
There was no misinterpretation of GPS data, the drone's position was accurately recorded in each case.
The issue was that the home point was reset.

If it was a different issue, I don't remember hearing of it but would be interested to see any forum posts relating to it.
And again, this is completely irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

I guessed it might resort/default to China with no GPS input since that's where DJI is based. Still the point I originally made and just proved is that one use of the mobile GPS is to show YOUR position, particularly BEFORE you connect to your AC.
I have to verify this, but I believe if you move far enough from the set home point and/or zoom close enough in, you'll see two dots: the Home Point and your RC position based on mobile GPS.

As for the 2017 issue, that thread is one of many about the issue, and the one you provided is not a good example. ALL phantoms were affected, not just standard, since it was a problem with the Go app.

I'll see if I can find the best Phantom Pilots thread I participated in about that. I'll also try to find the DJI forum thread I posted in explaining the exact problem, and that since it was past a week from the end of Chinese new year (February), they need to get on this quick before someone uncontrollably lands on a highway, and they would be completely liable. That nearly happened to someone.
It was within a couple days of that post of mine on DJI's forum that DJI sent me a beta APK to test.

How did I discover it was an Android GPS interpretation problem? Because I looked at the Go map without being connected to my Phantom, and it showed me 2 miles away from where I really was. It didn't do that prior to version 3.1.2, instead it showed my actual location.

the point I originally made and just proved is that one use of the mobile GPS is to show YOUR position, particularly BEFORE you connect to your AC.
It's not something I've ever seen anyone have any need for but your tablet's GPS will show you where you are (if it has good GPS signal) but it can also show a dodgy approximate location derived from wifi and/or cell tower triangulation if it doesn't have good GPS.
I have to verify this, but I believe if you move far enough from the set home point and/or zoom close enough in, you'll see two dots: the Home Point and your RC position based on mobile GPS.
Of course that is the case.
Place two (or three) GPS receivers together and they'll all show different positions within a metre or three of each other:
i-PCXpPQm-L.jpg

since it was past a week from the end of Chinese new year (February) ....
That's the same time period, so it's the same issue.
There's plenty about it on the DJI forum and every case is about the homepoint resetting during the flight and the problem compounding because of a Max Distance setting.
I investigated several cases on PhantomPilots and in all cases, there was nothing wrong with the GPS location recording.
I'd be very interested to see what you can dig up.
Could you find the .txt file form your flight?

I personally never had a flight problem then, but I did find the root cause for those who did: go app was not correctly registering the Android's GPS coordinates. Nobody up until then noticed AC and RC points were 2 miles apart because map focus would move to AC position and that's all we really cared about. How the false RC position managed to become one's homepoint wasn't certain. Perhaps the app logic never expected to have an RC appear to be 2 miles away from launch point and made an unexpected turn. A program logic shortcut is to mark output of input combinations that will never expect to happen as Don't Care. When such input combination does end up happening, results are unpredictable.

Can you imagine engaging Follow Me mode with that fault?

Reactions: charliej
OK not the best thread as I brought up several issues I had with the app but the RC position issue with 3.1.2 is brought up. Reply post # 4 said they see the same issue. Gets us in the timeline ballpark.

So it's my Tab E that doesn't have a compass. Didn't think it was that recent of the Androids I've used. That tablet was nothing but trouble. But I digress.

I use a 10.5 LTE Pro with my Air and Spark. For me because during the 8 or so warm months we are active RV’s I need that connetiviy. I also feel it’s just a bit of a last fail safe. I’ve never had to test that but I’ve never had a problem, yet. I like to use what I have, I’ll also say I have had much better success with a Apple device than I ever had with Android. I think a Pixel might change that but not sure. I’ve always felt like even though they don’t say it DJI prefers iOS to Android. One OS on everything vs a 1000 different devices versions and skins. Your mileage may vary.

I personally never had a flight problem then, but I did find the root cause for those who did: go app was not correctly registering the Android's GPS coordinates. Nobody up until then noticed AC and RC points were 2 miles apart because map focus would move to AC position and that's all we really cared about. How the false RC position managed to become one's homepoint wasn't certain.
You have the story mixed up.
The GPS position was accurate in all the jumping homepoint cases I investigated.
The only issue was the homepoint being reset during the flight.
This was compounded when a Max Distance limit was set.

You'd have to come up with a forum post that confirms your version for me to accept it.