DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob Mistake . Kill bill 3

Alpha2Zulu

Reactions
Hey y'all,

Just thought I'd share a noob mistake I made a couple of days back. We got an unusually large amount of snow here in Texas so thought I'd get some slowmo shots of some snowball fights with my daughter. I was trying to get a shot of the drone going quick from about 1 foot off the ground to about 10-12 foot off the ground while capturing a slow mo snowball hit on the subject in the shot. Did some test passes first to make sure I braked right before a very thin branch that was sticking out about 15-20 feet up in the path so got confident after 3 test passes and went for the shot. Unfortunately when I actually went for the shot I braked too late and the props got tangled in the branch and down it went upside down in the snow. I rushed to it thought it was dead and instantly picked it up to avoid water damage and to my horror it was still gunning and tore up into 3 of my fingers like it was kill bill 3. Red snow does look cool though. ?‍♂️ . So note to self - in case of a crash always make sure the darn thing is off before touching it.

On hindsight , it would be nice if it had an auto shut off feature post a crash if it was on the ground and not moving post a crash. I think that should be a fairly doable feature.

Be safe folks. Don't be that guy (i.e. me) :rolleyes:

There are many that have panicked is a similar situation and without thinking they just react to the drone, its almost a knee jerk reaction that has to really be focused on to stop from making a bad move.

The reason why the Motors are not going to Turn off is that the drone is designed to fly , now if you had been landing than they would have shut off when you flipped it over .

You have all kinds of Shut off features on your controller , but you dont want your drone to just turn off because the winds kick it around , you would be writing a letter to DJI why did my motors shut down.

We all have reached in at bad times, its Pilot error but we learn and move on,
No one wants more training wheels on that the drone than it already has.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and Land on Water.

What drone?
Some do stop their motors if excessively tilted but it seems that that isn't 100% reliable (could the tilt go too far). You should also read up on the CSC position in the drone's manual, google the model and "manual" and you will probably find the model's download page.
Given that it is probably a Mavic of some type look in particular for the default and alternative response to the CSC.
Heal well, war wound pictures? or are they all covered in bandages?
Scariest one I had was I was entertaining some kids with a Phantom and as I landed a gust caught it and flipped it, one boy ran to rescue it and wasn't to taken with my screech NO! It stopped him in his tracks,,,,fortunatley 'cause the CSC hadn't kicked in at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was an Air 2. I did know the csc for emergency stop but unfortunately for me my panic to prevent snow damage overtook common sense. Happened sunday morning so its about a week now and mostly all healed up. Was surprised at the amount of blood though. Also broke 3 of my props although not sure if that was my hand or the branch. Likely both

1610850841336.png

That would be a super awesome photo if only you could get rid of the trampoline

The AC should stop powering the motors if they are obstructed for too long, especially when the obstruction prevents any spinning. Not doing so has the potential of burning up the ESC.

It was an Air 2. I did know the csc for emergency stop but unfortunately for me my panic to prevent snow damage overtook common sense. Happened sunday morning so its about a week now and mostly all healed up. Was surprised at the amount of blood though. Also broke 3 of my props although not sure if that was my hand or the branch. Likely both

View attachment 121893
From your description I thought it would be worse than that.
I'm sure that stung quite a bit. I accidentally got my fingers nipped by my Mini. No skin damage but felt like I had pinched it in a door.

From your description I thought it would be worse than that.
I'm sure that stung quite a bit. I accidentally got my fingers nipped by my Mini. No skin damage but felt like I had pinched it in a door.
Well a wee ?bit of exaggeration may be but it did clean slice off 1 mm of skin of my index finger making a nice little crater. Those blades are sharp.
I got the pinch type damage too on the thumb. All the black on my thumb are internal clots from the pinch.

uuuum you might want to check that, I am not being awkward, I just don't want to spoil any surprise

Nice video, is that real time ?
Planning to practice that today. The video was a slowmo mode shot 240fps. Nothing fancy just made the drone drop quick from 10-12 feet to 1 feet to get it.

Planning to practice that today. Th.......
Ok now that the subject has your 'attention' and assuming the Air 2's FLY app is similar to the MM's FLY app, there are two response-to-a-CSC options "Emergency Only" and "Anytime".
Emergency only is the default option and with that option active whether or not the motors stop is at the discretion of the drone, not you.
If the drone decides the situation does not warrant a motor stop the drone descends in a helix under full control. The descent rate and flight speed depend on the flight mode. The drone will even slow its descent as the ground comes within range of the downward looking sensors.
I have done this with the MM from 100+m down to around 2m, it was actually a rather neat descent (slowest flight mode). I was 99.9% sure the motors would not stop. As soon as I released the sticks the drone hovered.
I did a similar test, starting at 2m, with the response set to "Always," the motors stopped after the CSC position had been held for around 1.5sec, the drone dropped about 18" on to grass and was fine, as intended/expected.
If you want to test this with out actually flying the drone, take the props off, hold the drone in your hand, start the motors with the CSC and waggle the drone about enough that you can hear? or feel the motors rev as the drone 'tries to maintain its 'airborne' position' . I am deaf so can not tell whether the prop-less motors are audible.
Keep waggling the drone and try the CSC maneuver, the waggling should not involve extreme angles of pitch or roll as you might trip the 'excessive tilt shut down' used in "snatch and twist" hand catches.
You might also find Cannot turn off mavic 2 whilst its moving!!! interesting.

Oh, yes I do have a bug up......... concerning these options. I personally think "emergency only" is daft, it means that for instance foresaw an impending accident and the only way to avoid that accident was to drop the drone you can not. On the other hand, the mere, approximate 1.5sec CSC position hold required to trigger a shut down in the "Always" mode is IMO too short.
Whilst chucking a Phantom 3 around the sky I once realised I had had the sticks in the CSC position for around 2 seconds, fortunately the P3's delay is, I think, around 5 secs

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alpha2Zulu
Ok now that the subject has your 'attention' and assuming the Air 2's FLY app is similar to the MM's FLY app, there are two response-to-a-CSC options "Emergency Only" and "Anytime".
Emergency only is the default option and with that option active whether or not the motors stop is at the discretion of the drone, not you.
If the drone decides the situation does not warrant a motor stop the drone descends in a helix under full control. The descent rate and flight speed depend on the flight mode. The drone will even slow its descent as the ground comes within range of the downward looking sensors.
I have done this with the MM from 100+m down to around 2m, it was actually a rather neat descent (slowest flight mode). I was 99.9% sure the motors would not stop. As soon as I released the sticks the drone hovered.
I did a similar test, starting at 2m, with the response set to "Always," the motors stopped after the CSC position had been held for around 1.5sec, the drone dropped about 18" on to grass and was fine, as intended/expected.
If you want to test this with out actually flying the drone, take the props off, hold the drone in your hand, start the motors with the CSC and waggle the drone about enough that you can hear? or feel the motors rev as the drone 'tries to maintain its 'airborne' position' . I am deaf so can not tell whether the prop-less motors are audible.
Keep waggling the drone and try the CSC maneuver, the waggling should not involve extreme angles of pitch or roll as you might trip the 'excessive tilt shut down' used in "snatch and twist" hand catches.
You might also find Cannot turn off mavic 2 whilst its moving!!! interesting.
Thanks. Appreciate the knowledge share. Thumbswayup I was actually wondering? how to go about it without screwing :oops:up the drone.

Yw, coming to 'Mavics' from a P3 I expected the mid air shutdown to be always at my command and it's really only by chance that I thought the wording of the MM's manual was 'odd' enough to warrant investigation. If that hadn't happened I would be flying it and the bought later M2P in the expectation that a mid air shut down was possible during normal circumstances.

Yw, coming to 'Mavics' from a P3 I expected the mid air shutdown to be always at my command and it's really only by chance that I thought the wording of the MM's manual was 'odd' enough to warrant investigation. If that hadn't happened I would be flying it and the bought later M2P in the expectation that a mid air shut down was possible during normal circumstances.
I assumed the exact same thing i.e mid air stop which is why I was wondering how the heck to test without damaging it. Was planning to do it right above my extra large foam pads thinking it was going to plop down. Agree that the 1.5 sec is short which is why I never ever plan to leave the emergency setting to always on.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User