DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NoOb Question

I've got heaps of drones and would honestly recommend the Blade Inductrix for first timers, get the FPV version if you want some vision while flying.
Any camera drone less than $400 is going to have useless video and the Inductrix will give you a good handle on a DJI drones plus still be used once you have a DJI one since it's so much fun.
They're durable and you can practice indoors without harming anything.

Reactions: lord_roman
I have never used the built-in simulator in the DJI Go app. I'm pretty sure you can't use it without connecting it though. Would be cool for practicing and memorizing controls, etc. while we wait.

QX Nano, Hubsan X4 and more recently the Inductrix are all kinda go-to indoor quads, and I would strongly suggest a small indoor one for starters because you'll fly it a lot more, do less damage, and won't have to worry about wind or handing the controller over to a friend. I linked basic packages here, but there's a wide range for each depending your budget and need for camera, transmitter, etc.

Absolutely get one of these or something similar....you'll pick up essential skills quickly and get your worst mistakes out of the way before flying the expensive stuff. And as amazing as the Mavic will certainly be, you'd be missing out on quite a lot of unabashed fun if you skip over the little guys

Last edited:
I have a Parrot AR Drone (version 1). I would definitely consider the Parrot AR Drone Version 2.

They are very forgiving but are real drones that give you a very good idea of the challenges of drone flying. Whilst you would not use one for aerial photography you will have a lot of enjoyment from it. The battery will also last you a good 20 mins and they are easy to repair but difficult to break. My 7 year old son loves it and is the only drone I own that I would let him fly on his own.

I would suggest that perhaps this is a more suitable first drone than the Mavic Pro. At under $200 you will get a very capable drone that you can try out to see if drone flying is for you.

To expand it you can hack it so that you can use an off the shelf transmitter to control it and this extends the range enormously.

With regards to range I do have reservations about the Mavic being advertised with 7 km range. I am as guilty as anyone for being drawn into the allure of long range, having bought boosters etc to give massive range but when it comes down to it I only really want to fly within line of sight and sending up any drone over 100m high has always filled me with a sense of fear that it will not come back. I do however really enjoy flying through an orchard, dodging trees and playing out the Star Wars scene within the forest.

Cheapest you can get, I use an Eachine, cost me €11.00. It's so different from the DJI norm, but you learn to fly Atti mode, and you can use it indoors when it's raining. It's a challenge for me to keep it airborne during the battery life of 7 minutes in a mid sized room (PS get one with prop guards)

I learn't with the nano qx then got the inductrix too.. nice drones to learn on and they do take a beating.. of course flew them indoors most of the time..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan