DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob questions about getting legit to fly

MikeRenna

Reactions
Staples had a clearance of drones and we bought one - a Propel Tilt.

For the specs / info - quill is actually part of staples but just using their link cause I found it. this is an old model? Propel doesn't even list it anymore Propel Tilit Stunt Drone- Assorted Colors | Quill.com

We got it for much less than the quill price ($20!!!!). Just as a novelty. I get bored easy with things.

But it is cute - has a camera, we flew it in the backyard for 5 min of the 10 minute battery life to about the height of our 2 story house.

Watched the video - noisy!

I got the B4ufly app and we are no where near any airports. yes, TFRs and other things could change that. I'd consider this a toy drone compared to what you guys are likely spending. I don't think it can go that far up or away.

Now to get legit. I paid $5 for the drone registration number and going to write it on the drone.

The certificate also talks about passing an aeronautical knowledge and safety test. I google that thinking it'd be something to do online.

The FAA has links to testing centers to take the test? i tried finding out the cost to sit for the test. Can anyone help with that? And then there's a cost for the certificate?

Can anyone tell me what the total cost is going to be for us to be legit for this $20 drone : ) ??

Hoping there's something about 'if you keep it below the height of the trees near you' or something like that / if you are miles from any airports / heliports, etc that there's a simpler/cheaper process, But likely no, right? Yes, it's important to be safe, etc. etc. But I could envision getting bored with this (sorry no offense meant to the fanatics here : ) before I get through all the govt. paperwork

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
MikeRenna welcome to the forum. You said a mouthful but I think we can help you. If the drone is less than .55 lbs you do not have to register it with the FAA. Looking at the specs is says it weights 1 pound (I doubt it) but lets go with that.

So since you've completed that part then the rest is pretty simple. "If", you plan on flying commercially (make money from your flights including YouTube) then you will need whats called a Part 107 Certificate from the FAA. That costs $150. That is not that simple to complete.

"IF" you plan on just flying recreational (for fun), then no certificate is necessary but you do have to follow FAA rules (which can be daunting). We all are restricted to a height of 400' AGL (Above Ground Level) but it sounds like you won't be venturing that high.

The FAA is going to start requiring pilots of drones to take an aeronautical knowledge and safety test to confirm they know the basics but that has not been implemented yet (I don't think).

Lastly, to get clearance to fly in restricted airspace (near airports, prisons, fed bldgs, etc) you'll need a free app called "Kittyhawk" or "Airmap" (either one). These are easy to maneuver and gives you authorization immediately. Those apps will also show you NFZ (No Fly Zones) and TFR's (Temporary Flight Restrictions). Just read the warning prompts.

Hopefully this helps. There are others with more knowledge than I so if I missed something or I need correcting, they will chime in and let you know.

Good luck and fly safe . . .

James - thanks!

so their saying that I NEED to take the test is premature? after posting here, I saw some things about it starting in november? Yeah, totally just looking to play / recreational and not have the police knocking on my door with me not having the right paperwork (and I wouldn't expect they can keep up with all the federal laws)... if they know to ask for the drone registration, they'll see it saying ' you need ot take a test'. Sir... where's the test results. You didn't take the test? Can you have a seat in the back of my car? although yeah, the local police - can they arrest you for a federal crime? or only FBI does that?

yeah, I'm paranoid. but that does NOT mean they're not out to get me : ) !!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
If it is one of those lightweight quads that so not require registration, I doubt even FAA would be concerned about flying those in controlled airspace within reason. Most of those can't go much higher than 30ft or you certainly wouldn't want to.

James - thanks!

so their saying that I NEED to take the test is premature? after posting here, I saw some things about it starting in november? Yeah, totally just looking to play / recreational and not have the police knocking on my door with me not having the right paperwork (and I wouldn't expect they can keep up with all the federal laws)... if they know to ask for the drone registration, they'll see it saying ' you need ot take a test'. Sir... where's the test results. You didn't take the test? Can you have a seat in the back of my car? although yeah, the local police - can they arrest you for a federal crime? or only FBI does that?

Don't worry about the test. It's not law yet. We have learned (in this forum) that most LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) do not know the law regarding drones so just fly and have fun. Do read the FAA rules and stick to them. No flying over people, populated areas, highways, streets, etc.

You’ll be fine. They are reading your post right now and know you have lawful intent. <joking>. Paranoia will destroy ya.

Reactions: MikeRenna
Problem solved!!!!

I thought it was a bit windy. but wanted to play... Had used it only 1 time so far.

Watched it drift away into a wooded area / over the trees and I wasn't good with the controls to get it back.

According to one website it weighs 1 lbs (453 grams) so it does have to be registered. Fron the FAA website regarding recreational flying..

Here's what you need to do:

1. Register your drone, mark it on the outside with the registration number (PDF), and carry proof of registration with you.
  2. Fly only for recreational purposes.
  3. Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization.
  4. Fly your drone at or below 400 feet when in uncontrolled or "Class G" airspace. This is airspace where the FAA is not controlling manned air traffic. To determine what type of airspace you are in, refer to the mobile application that operates your drone (if so equipped) and/or use other drone-related mobile applications. Knowing your location and what airspace you're in will also help you avoid interfering with other aircraft.
  5. Do NOT fly in controlled airspace (around and above many airports) unless:
    1. You receive an airspace authorization for operations in controlled airspace through LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability), before you fly. Learn more about approved LAANC UAS Service Suppliers for recreational flyers.
    2. You are flying at a recreational flyer fixed site that has a written agreement with the FAA. The FAA has posted a list of approved sites (MS Excel) and has depicted them as blue dots on a map. Each fixed site is limited to the altitude shown on this map, which varies by location.
  6. NOTE: If your organization is interested in establishing a letter of agreement for a fixed flying site, please contact us at [email protected].
    The FAA is experiencing a high volume of requests for fixed sites. At this time, the FAA is reviewing requests based on available resources.
  7. Keep your drone within your line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you.
  8. Do NOT fly in airspace where flight is prohibited. Airspace restrictions can be found on our interactive map, and temporary flight restrictions can be found here. Drone operators are responsible for ensuring they comply with all airspace restrictions.
  9. Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports.
  10. Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people.
  11. Never fly near emergencies such as any type of accident response, law enforcement activities, firefighting, or hurricane recovery efforts.
  12. Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Recreational flyers should know that if they intentionally violate any of these safety requirements, and/or operate in a careless and reckless manner, they could be liable for criminal and/or civil penalties.

Reactions: MikeRenna
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe