DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

not flying your UAV

I have not been doing any flying lately. It sucks as I miss it and wanted to get a nice picture to enter into the winter picture contest . But things are a tad to cool for these old bones to play outside . My temps have been hanging out at -40
0f99fb2bdbf663d2147f9a668fc43961.jpg
. I took this pic on the way to work this morning
I feel for you Canuk, we were in a deep freeze until Saturday, warmed up but it has snowed Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and supposed to get 20 to 30 cm tonight into tomorrow.

I would rather have the cold at least you don't have to shovel cold. :)
Cheers

I would pick the snow over the cold . We hit numbers just short of -48 . Fan belts are busting when starting the vehicle’s . Batteries are freezing . Even simple things like extension cords bust when plugging the truck in . Block heater cords snap off the vehicles. Winter sucks

Reactions: Drgnfli
As an FAA Licensed Commercial Pilot, I fly - when legal, anywhere my clients ask me to fly. I avoid flying directly above people but I do not hesitate to fly over commercial and private property as necessary - at altitude. Any time I'm on a 107 mission, I wear my bright colored vest (seen in the video) which clearly states 'FAA Licensed Commercial Drone Pilot - please do not disturb' on the back. I had ONE person in hundreds of flights come out and ask 'why I was flying over his house' and I informed him that his HOA had hired me to survey and document the property lines and he relaxed and walked away. Look professional and give respect. If its obvious that your intent is business or art, you should be okay. See
for examples.

I still fly regularly.

Because it's winter, I fly from my car, and while doing so restricts the range, it's much better than freezing.

I think that the public is not as worked up about drones as the media wants to believe they have influenced people to be.

I have had several encounters with people over the last two years since getting into this. None of them were hostile, and most were simply curious. Once a park ranger came up to me to check it out. He gave me no grief, and you could tell he'd be buying one soon. Others, act like ostriches.

I live by a large lake. I was once chased off by a 'Sheep Dog", and agent of the corp of engineers. Later, I realized I was chased off because I was near their campgrounds. I stay away from the campgrounds, and all is good again. Over the years, I have paid 10s of thousands of dollars for property tax at the lake. I tolerate early morning bass tournaments, jet skis, fireworks, petroleum pollution, littering, and gun shots. If need be, I'll stand just outside their property, but I'll fly over the class G airspace. It's legal. I have rights, and I have paid my dues.

I think to a large extent, we have created the paranoia, and are overly sensitive to what the general public has no real interest in. When I ask the people I work with what they think of Gatwick, or the Newark airport incidents, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

I do think we have a responsibility to fly safe. I know the rules. I play by most of the rules most of the time. Still, I enjoy using the DJI goggles, but I don't use a spotter.

I am very conscientious of risk and reward. After all, it's just video.

Be respectful. Don't take unnecessary chances. Enjoy the hobby we got into with no ill intent. Don't let them chase you back in of doors.

Last edited:
Its summer here which means hot, dry and a strong sea breeze most afternoons. Most of my flying is around the local lakes or beaches which during the week are pretty much empty. Today there is a hot (38C) easterly blowing from inland so no flying. Time to catch up on some editing of my video backlog.

I said earlier today about the flood warnings and heavy rain we had I put the drone up to see if the back yard was flooded well this area you will see is usually dry as a bone but today I have a river in my back yard and the road is flooded out. Check oput the bushes wind was around 20 to 25 mph, Mave air held pretty good.

Reactions: old man mavic
hi fellow flyers apart from the weather conditions where you are located, are there any local reasons why you might be thinking twice about getting airborne. i ask because of all the negative news about UAVs at the moment have you experienced any anti UAV comments in your local community media.

I was in Fitzroy Falls NP (NSW) yesterday and although the CASA app said it was ok to fly, NP had a sign saying ‘no drones’. I knew they had no authority to stop me from flying and I thought about it for a second but considering that CASA are currently preparing new regs for drones here I didn’t want to upset the regulators. At least I got a pic of this little bloke (Superb Lyrebird) after 61 years of searching

062A4290[1].jpg

I guess maybe I'm old fashioned, for example if I see a sign that says no skateboards I respect that private businesses right to post and demand what is or is not allowed on their property. At one point and time (and yes there is a presadence) the property line also included the airspace over a home I believe it was something like 300'.
Be what may on this I want Goodwill from all and want to enjoy my flight not worry or deal with fearful neighbors or jealous husband's thinking I am trying to get pics of someone sunning themselves.
When I fly I do so in wide open area's well away from homes and I've already talked to my neighbors about my hobby and they have no issues except one three houses down who owns some skittish horses who calmly and respectfully explained his fear of his horses panicking. I fully agree with with him and so keep my drone away from his line. I have some business contacts with land developers who has discussed with me the possibility of taking my hobby to the next level and while I freely admit my ignorance in dealing with what I would call the open public, I too feel as a previous poster dress for the job showing a pro face goes a long way in giving a good first impression, I think I would take it to the next level and have some handouts printed to post or leave with people in the area explaining the job I would be doing along with a privacy notice explaining what kind of pictures are being taken and that their personal privacy would not be infringed on
At the current billing rate for these kind of operations I see no reason why a pilot cannot take the extra few minutes to present themselves as a professional both in dress and prep

The only thing that keeps me from flying in the winter is the fact that I'm a big wuss. If the temperature drops below 40, I don't stay out very long.

I was in Fitzroy Falls NP (NSW) yesterday and although the CASA app said it was ok to fly, NP had a sign saying ‘no drones’. I knew they had no authority to stop me from flying and I thought about it for a second but considering that CASA are currently preparing new regs for drones here I didn’t want to upset the regulators. At least I got a pic of this little bloke (Superb Lyrebird) after 61 years of searching

View attachment 62186
I missed a chance for a great pic during hunting season, actually had a buck walk up within and sniff my boots then feed on some grass. He was gorgeous... Even after he walked far enough from me to take a shot I was frozen in awe
Wasn't until he walked into the woods that it clicked that if I wasn't going to harvest him I could have got a great pic

hi fellow flyers apart from the weather conditions where you are located, are there any local reasons why you might be thinking twice about getting airborne. i ask because of all the negative news about UAVs at the moment have you experienced any anti UAV comments in your local community media.
No, I fly discreetly. Years before my Mavic, I had CRAZED people screaming at me while carrying a dslr on my shoulder. One guy physically threatened me I I ever took pictures of his dog. The dog must have been in witness protection. I no longer open carry a camera. I have continued the same practice with my Mavic.

No, I fly discreetly. Years before my Mavic, I had CRAZED people screaming at me while carrying a dslr on my shoulder. One guy physically threatened me I I ever took pictures of his dog. The dog must have been in witness protection. I no longer open carry a camera. I have continued the same practice with my Mavic.
Wow I can't say I would be willing to take it that far left.... I have rights too!

Reactions: FatherXmas
I live in the North of Scotland, which is pretty much all, a military low fly zone if you believe the app. I find it annoying that I get messages up on my controller which ruin a good flight, (and are probably quite likely to put the uav at risk). I usually plan when and where I go anyway, so I can avoid low flying jets, or civils and there are a few at the weekend, just so I can have a quiet life.
I only ever got grief from a German tourist, at a local monument, when he thought I was filming him and his wife. He demanded that I land and show him the footage, (which I couldn't, because I don't use the cache for storage). It put me off a bit, more because he was making a pest of himself and I couldn't concentrate on flying.
He eventually got told to f*** off and do one, but moments like that make me wonder if it's worth the hassle.
That was a well planned trip and climb, only to be ruined by an idiot who didn't understand UK regulations on drones and photography.

Not really had any adverse reaction to to my drone, well not any more than usual, here in England everyone is paranoid about spying on them i think, i go where there is not many people and if anyone does come close i let it hover until they are gone.

And this with a screen name father Christmas:)
The screen name has more to do with my appearance than ability to be out in the cold. I get approached by children a lot, especially around the holidays. :D

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying